Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2
Feb 14, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #271 of 300
Hi, just purchased a pair of these for $150 on Amazon, obviously quite satisfied for the price (have owned the original P5 but one channel died).

Does anyone of you find a similarity between the P5S2 and the Sennheiser IE80 iem? I find them pretty close in tonality and frequency response.

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #272 of 300
I bought the over_ear pads on Amazon to try on these
:)

They sound better but need work.

With internal modding I have been successful at increasing bass depth and mid clarity but not done yet..
Regardless, with bit of EQ increase to trebles, these are now my favorites.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #274 of 300
No, they are specific pads for the p5.
There are two versions for V1 & v2
Both on ebay and Amazon.
I got them on Amazon

May 7, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #275 of 300
The p5 has great potential now.

May 7, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #277 of 300
I would say they are very comfortable and nice and really sleek...
They are my favorite.
You still need to EQ then to boost the trebles but now they are not congested and more clear

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #279 of 300
Me too...
Not sure you are aware but I had the Sine and also still have the Hifiman edition s..
In my profile I listed all I tried.

These have quality of best portables I tried including Oppo pm1.

I still have to try the pm3 and the b&w p7

There's always another headphone to try but I am highly satisfied with the p5.

These are underrated as they have a real speaker with a surround , which actually is a big deal...

Normal headphones use one single membrane that is dome shaped in middle and ruffle creased in around edges in order to flex.
This causes distortion and other problems.

In contrast, the p5&7&9 are Using real speaker type driver which is totally stiff across surface area,
so the whole surface moves uniform and better than even a planar..
That means better sonic image and less driver surface problems.

The only issue is the low trebles, so I am modding it.

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #280 of 300
I have completed my "over-ear" re tune, damping mod on the P5 and can dare say it better than most headphones and P7.
Tremendous bass and clarity with a smooth clear treble.
1494779557981-1459158822.jpg
It is now the sleekest lowest profile over ear headphones.
Will post sometime this week once I do a write up.

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #281 of 300
Looking to buy one of these soon! I am extremely happy with my DT 770 Pro (250 ohm version), and if the DT 1770 has a similar sound signature as this but with better sound quality across the board it seems like the perfect upgrade for me.

One thing I really like about my DT 770 is the bass extension and "oomph" is has. Trying out headphones with less extension and punch in the bottom end just feels really underwhelming to me, even if they are extremely good in all the other areas. I find bass extension really important as it sort of lays the foundation for all the frequencies above it, and if that foundation of bottom end texture is lacking from the overall sound picture it all falls apart in my opinion.

To make an example: I tried both the Denon AH-MM400 and B&W P7 at a hi-fi store yesterday. The first test track I put on was "Mountains" from the Interstellar soundtrack on Tidal Hi-Fi, and while the mids and treble were great, the climax that starts at around 1:55 just lacked impact due to the drivers not being able to paint out the lower frequencies. Another good test track would be "Stay" from the same album, where the part that begins at 1:35 has a very important low bass note that serves as the foundation for the organ melody above. Again, if this is missing the whole thing just lacks musical impact. I know it's not fair to compare them to the DT770 as they have smaller drivers and are meant to be portable headphones, it's just that with how I'm used to these tracks sounding I couldn't help feeling underwhelmed. A part of the music was quite literally missing. I'm sure they are great HPs for their intended mobile use, though.

Out of curiosity, could any of you guys who have a DT1770 do this bass test on youtube and report when the bass rolls off and becomes inaudible? My 770 goes down to about 22-23hz before I can't hear it anymore:

My modded P5 goes audibly down to 12hz (!)
And after that instead of tone, you sense driver excursion, which is also visible to 3hz...

Yet is not a really a bassy phone, instead more louder deep and punchy when called for.

Would love to see these pads side-by-side with the P7 pads.
Soon will find out visual comparisons..

May 22, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #282 of 300
Hi Maxx - are those the P7 pads? Do they fit the P5S2??

Ok, I know have the P7 with softer original Audio Technica Msr7 pads,
And the P5v2 with over ear pads from amazon to compare:

20170522_122410.jpg

And here is an image of them stock and un-modified:

20170522_190539.png

With the "over ear" pads from Amazon, the P5 turn into the sleekest, lowest profile over ear headphone I have ever seen:

20170522_191225.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #283 of 300
I bought these from amazon.co.uk this week for £119. Very very impressed. Usually I cannot wear on ear headphones but these are not bothering me. The clamp is ok too. I normally choose headphones with almost no clamp. The sound...WOW just WOW!

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #285 of 300
Agree totally. Bought on myself as well last week. Paid €149. Truly amazing sound and much better than my P3 series one
If you haven't already, wait until you hear the P7 (wired or wireless). I have the P5 S2 (for the road) and the P7 at home, and it never ceases to amaze me every time I put on the bigger headphones. A complete step up in class in every way. And for any would-be or current owners of the P7 wired who may find them a bit uncomfortable at first, here's a tip: fit them with replacement pads for the P7 wireless. The P7W comes with memory foam pads (same as the P5 S2) that are much more comfortable, and have solved all the discomfort issues I initially had with the P7. The only problem is that I struggle to go back to the P5 when I've had an extended session with the P7 :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back