Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2
Oct 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #151 of 300
I've been doing my research on the P5 S2. Over on Amazon, quite a few buyers of the original P5 were unhappy with long term comfort. Is there any reason to think the series 2 will be more comfortable? Long term comfort is my concern with these headphones as well as many other portables.

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #153 of 300
Headphones have loudness limits to stop deafness. Meh

Another silly rule....if a portable player is supplied with headphones then the portable player is required to have a limiter. Things like a&k don't need to comply as they are not supplied with headphones.

As far as I know only combinations sold as such and electronics are subject to that (well-intended, but utterly stupid) regulation. Headphones alone are not... how should that be realized?

Before I begin with the sonic impressions, I should note that I have never had extensive experience with the Bowers & Wilkins P5 (original), only a short 2 song audition at the Apple Store.  That said, the signature seems to have chagned in a pretty large fashion.  Many people stated that the original P5 was more neutral and had controlled bass over the P7.  This is no longer true, in direct comparison, the bass is bigger, thicker, and slower.  Let's get into more specifics.  

We'll begin off on the low end, as I always do :p  As stated, this low end has a distinct thickness to it that kind of reminds me of a stronger sub-woofer.  The size off the bass gives each impact a thorough, tough slam to it, but it's not sloppy.  Digging down lower, we find that the sub-bass texturing is a little more solid and one-noted than I'd like.  This tends to take away from the delicate and fluid texturing.  The low end isn't tight, but it isn't out of control, and it does give a warmth to the midrange.  It is, however, on the slower side of things.  

As we move to the midrange, the first thing that hits you square in the face is the thick lushness that fills each and every song.  The headphones are smooth with a touch of warmth to them.  Taking the edge off things, the P5 S2 is anything but analytic, but most details still get through.  Instrumental clarity isn't overbearing, rather just there while vocals are absolutely beautifully rendered.  So although some dynamics may have been sacrificed with instrumentals for smoothness, no such impact is done on the vocals.  

In the treble, B&W decided that a softer texturing was needed to complete this smooth signature, but they didn't do it in a way that it'd be too controlled.  There is ample extension up top to give great detailing, clarity and separation thoughout.  Presence, despite the more laid-back nature of the highs on the new P5s, isn't an issue either.  Snares still have dynamic touch to them and proper timbre, though they aren't in your face.  In reality nothing is in your face.  

That just put a full stop to my interest in the second coming of the P5... too bad as they do look gorgeous and the materials used are really nice. Plus I found the original P5 to be rather uncomfortable (besides its to indifferent, to me much too smooth sound). Well then... thanks for your impressions -- and helping me to decide.

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #154 of 300
I've been doing my research on the P5 S2. Over on Amazon, quite a few buyers of the original P5 were unhappy with long term comfort. Is there any reason to think the series 2 will be more comfortable? Long term comfort is my concern with these headphones as well as many other portables.

I've had no luck with long term comfort with these, they begin causing sensitivity on my concha after about an hour :/  It's tolerable up until around 2 :frowning2:  

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #159 of 300
Between the t51p and p5 s2
1. Which one had the larger soundstage?
2. Which one is more recessed in the midrange?
3. Which one has the most bass slam?

1. The P5 S2 has a larger soundstage, although it still is an on-ear soundstage. The soundstage of the t51p improves with a better source though. For example: while listening to the t51p from my Xperia P, the soundtage was small, even compared to other on-ears like the Beats Solo, KEF M500, Momentum on-ear, but when I switched to the Fiio X3, the soundstage became much wider, deeper and more accurate (still nowhere nearly as good as my K550).
2. In my experience the P5 S2 is definitely more recessed there. Although I have read reviews praising the midrange of the P5 S2 and other reviews where the midrange of the t51p was described as "slightly recessed". Not in my experience.
3. The P5 S2 yet again. The bass on the t51p is also north of neutral, but the P5 S2 has a more present bass (and more audible sub-bass). The bass on the t51p is faster and more detailed though.

Comparing both headphones directly I came to these (subjective) conclusions.
 P5 S2t51p
BassMore emphasized than I like, but sufficiently structured. Has an audible sub-bass.Emphasized just enough for mobile use. very articulate. Lacks a bit of sub-bass.
MidrangeA bit recessed, but nice to listen to. very detailed.. I did not notice any recessed mids. Female vocals are amazing!
TrebleSoft and somewhat recessed. Perfectly in balance with midrange. [size=inherit]Very detailed.[/size]
SoundstageBetter than most on-earsDependent on source.
SpeedSlightly above average.Very fast for dynamic drivers.
SibilanceLittle sibilance (and only with sibilant recordings)A bit more sibilant (and only with sibilant recordings)
TransparencySomewhat veiledQuite clear
Comfort < 1 hourGoodGreat
Comfort > 1 hourStarts hurting after an hour. Not unbearable, just uncomfortable.Starts hurting after 2 hours. Not unbearable, just uncomfortable.
LooksAwesomeFine. Not everyone's choice.

For modern pop, drum and bass, dubstep and (modern) hiphop I'd recommend the P5 S2
For rock, string-, brass, percussion, jazz, classical and treble rich music I'd recommend the t51p.

I have both so I won't have to choose 
dt880smile.png

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #160 of 300
1. The P5 S2 has a larger soundstage, although it still is an on-ear soundstage. The soundstage of the t51p improves with a better source though. For example: while listening to the t51p from my Xperia P, the soundtage was small, even compared to other on-ears like the Beats Solo, KEF M500, Momentum on-ear, but when I switched to the Fiio X3, the soundstage became much wider, deeper and more accurate (still nowhere nearly as good as my K550).
2. In my experience the P5 S2 is definitely more recessed there. Although I have read reviews praising the midrange of the P5 S2 and other reviews where the midrange of the t51p was described as "slightly recessed". Not in my experience.
3. The P5 S2 yet again. The bass on the t51p is also north of neutral, but the P5 S2 has a more present bass (and more audible sub-bass). The bass on the t51p is faster and more detailed though.

P5 S2t51p
BassMore emphasized than I like, but sufficiently structured. Has an audible sub-bass.Emphasized just enough for mobile use. very articulate. Lacks a bit of sub-bass.
MidrangeA bit recessed, but nice to listen to. very detailed..I did not notice any recessed mids. Female vocals are amazing!
TrebleSoft and somewhat recessed.Perfectly in balance with midrange. [SIZE=inherit]Very detailed.[/SIZE]
SibilanceLittle sibilance (and only with sibilant recordings)A bit more sibilant (and only with sibilant recordings)
Comfort > 1 hourStarts hurting after an hour. Not unbearable, just uncomfortable.Starts hurting after 2 hours. Not unbearable, just uncomfortable.

For modern pop, drum and bass, dubstep and (modern) hiphop I'd recommend the P5 S2
For rock, string-, brass, percussion, jazz, classical and treble rich music I'd recommend the t51p.

I have both so I won't have to choose :dt880smile:  this is exactly what we need for comparison review
thank you so much, this is awesome and extremely helpful. I wish all comparisons can be done this way. It really helps with purchasing decisions.
Somewhere, I heard the v-moda m100 sounds similar to the p7 when bass reducer is on.
Have you heard any of these phones (the p7 or m100)? If so, then would you mind extending the comparison chart or briefly comparing them?

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #161 of 300

P5 S2t51p
MidrangeA bit recessed, but nice to listen to. very detailed.. I did not notice any recessed mids. Female vocals are amazing!
TrebleSoft and somewhat recessed. Perfectly in balance with midrange. [size=inherit]Very detailed.[/size]

I have both so I won't have to choose 
dt880smile.png

I haven't heard the P5 S2, but I do have a lot of experience with the original P5 and I agree with your comments about the T51p's pickiness of upstream amping/source. The sound staging is truly amazing when they are played through the Astrell & Kern AK100 II and only "ok" out of my iPad or iPhone.

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #162 of 300
thank you so much, this is awesome and extremely helpful. I wish all comparisons can be done this way. It really helps with purchasing decisions.
Somewhere, I heard the v-moda m100 sounds similar to the p7 when bass reducer is on.
Have you heard any of these phones (the p7 or m100)? If so, then would you mind extending the comparison chart or briefly comparing them?

I'm glad I could help.

I have heard the P7 before and if you are considering buying a headphone for on the go, the P7 is a good contender. It's very large compared to the on-ears though.
Between the P5 S2 and P7, the P7 has the sparkle in the treble that the P5 S2 is missing. The bass on the P7 is also better balanced (still north of neutral) and more detailed.

The V-moda M100 I haven't heard yet, but I'll probably get the chance to hear it next week. What I've read and seen is that the M100 is mostly a headphone for modern music (dubstep, pop, hiphop, drum&bass) and not really suited for classical music or jazz. Things I like about the design of the M100 is that it can be stored in a really small package and it seems to be very durable.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #163 of 300
I listened to the original P5 this weekend at my local Apple Store. I thought the sound was a bit bass heavy but not in bad way. Vocals were done well and highs were clear without being too bright. However, comfort was a no go for me. I listened for only 15 minutes but the clamping force of the P5 was causing considerable discomfort. I'm crossing this one off my want list of portables.

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #165 of 300
I ended up returning the p5 s2 because of discomfort. I bought the Kef m500 instead. It looks beautiful, it sounds as neutral as any headphone I've ever heard, and it's very light and comfortable. Sort of like the audiophile and more comfortable version of the p5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back