Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2
Oct 29, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #181 of 300
Beagle.  Do you still feel they are p5 original and p5 series sound similar?  Has you opinion changed yet?
All the reviews, Absolute Sound, iLounge, and Cnet, seem to say the series 2 is more detailed and leaner in the bass.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #182 of 300
Had a quick listen to these today at the Apple store and they seemed much better than the original P5 which always sounded muddy to me. The new model seemed a lot clearer sounding and enjoyable.

BUT I also have been immersed in darker sounding headphones as of late, reviewing the T10i and buying the Sony MDR10RBT and MDR-Z7 so it may also just be my brain having grown used to this type of signature. Still I do think these are a step up from the original P5.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #184 of 300
Yeh I had a listen to the series 2 the other day at my local apple store, it's good but I personally like the extra bass you get from the series one. I've managed to find them for what could be a pretty good price on this new site called clicthat so gonna try buy them instead

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #186 of 300
i would say the original is worth at least 199. Design alone. I do love the sound of the new version. I actually just bought it again, and I am stretching it over a box to see if that improves the fit for me. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #187 of 300
  So, I managed to grab a pair of the original P5 on Amazon for around $160.  Given that the series 2 is around $300, is the improvement between the two worth $140 of difference?

It's not worth the extra investment if you ask me. There is certainly an improvement in sound, but not that significant and the sound signature is very similar. If you want to get a better sound and try a different flavour, I recommend the t51p. The cable of the t51p is flimsy and not replaceable though.

I have both the P5 S2 and the t51p because I first bought the t51p for it's great sound and then I got my P5 S2 at €150 because I still had warranty on my defective narly 2 year old C5 in-ears. Who could possibly turn down such an offer? I'll keep them both, but I'm sure I'll be using the P5 S2 less.

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #188 of 300
Personally I think it is a waste of time to try analysing headphones in an Apple store. It's fine for judging fit and finish but for sound quality, no way. On that basis I purchased a pair on 30 day approval. So having spent last night at a Little Dragon concert I was today inspired to compare the Series 2 P5 (S2), against the original P5 (S1), the P7 and the original C5.

From the first note I realised the S2 sounded special but I burned them in for 12 hours before making any comparisons. Today I was listening to CD quality material on my iPhone5 and playing it loud.

Firstly listening to the first few tracks of Nabuma Rubberband I noticed how close the sound was to that I had heard standing right at the very front last night. Low notes from the S2 were much more impactful than those from the S1 or the P7. They made my skull resonate.

At the top end the results were again similar to live. Yumiki plays a racquet shaped jingle instrument which I could hardly hear last night. This instrument sounds muted on the S2, more obvious on the S1 and clearest on the P7.

I have made other notes of comparison during the day (such as S2 less harsh / strident than S1) but basically I suggest that if I could draw a picture of soundscapes and emphases from low to high with the S1 in the middle then the S2 would be shifted to the left and the P7 to the right.

I suspect if I could have wandered through the venue's 17 x 53 metre capacity I would have noticed similar shifts in emphasis. But I would not have been popular with a very packed crowd.

At the moment I am most enjoying the S2 but tomorrow is another day. Will I keep the S2? Probably because I can afford to. Do I need them? Definitely not because the C5 IEM is loads of fun and I could easily manage with only them. I am not going to try the C5 series 2 or look for reviews because I don't need them.

Personal note: these are my thoughts based on 60 year old ears and their preferences. If you disagree then that is fine with me but that doesn't mean either of us is wrong. Hearing differs as does colour perception and taste. I take my coffee black and without sugar.

Update: after plugging in my Dragonfly between iPhone and the Series 2 you can expect to see my Series 1 for sale shortly (complete with brand new spare ear pads since Series 2 uses a different fit).

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #189 of 300
I'm impressed with you going to see Little Dragon at your age. I saw them this summer but am 10 years younger than you.

Many thanks for your comments and update. I have P5 S1 and P7 and will now go and try the P5 S2 from you comments.

Many thanks from my wallet.

Regards

Sceptre

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #194 of 300
  Just thought I'd pop this in here. Enjoy!

eek.gif

(Merry Christmas Tyll!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back