Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones Review
Jul 10, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #121 of 178
I find the overall balance to be quite similar, structurally. What I am referring specifically to is the rolled off upper register that the HD650 has. I think the HD650 is relatively untextured, but it's much easier to discover new detail in it compared to the P5.

I actually find the P5 to carry a lot of texture and detail throughout the register, but not in an easily accessible way; this is more what my comparison to it as a sort of "HP1" style sound entails. The P5 is a bit slow and plodding at times and excels primarily with vocal stuff where its ability to resolve sounds does an excellent job in making voices sound natural.

Quote:
Does the comment above ("little HD650s") imply that these have the full range sound of the HD650s?  From everything I've read so far on this thread, it really seems like the P5s are lacking in high end detail, and the HD650s have plenty of high end detail.  

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #122 of 178
I just tried these at an Apple store. I was impressed. They sound good, isolate surprisingly well, are comfortable, and look nice. The store should have more of these on display rather than the Monster Beats. For the same price, the P5 demolish the Beats Studio and the Bose QCs. Even my sister, not anywhere close to an audiophile, could tell the difference. Compared to the P5, "the Beats sound like laptop speakers." I still think the price should be lower, but they're the creme of the crop in the mainstream ish headphone lineup.

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #125 of 178

Quote:
I find the overall balance to be quite similar, structurally. What I am referring specifically to is the rolled off upper register that the HD650 has. I think the HD650 is relatively untextured, but it's much easier to discover new detail in it compared to the P5.

I actually find the P5 to carry a lot of texture and detail throughout the register, but not in an easily accessible way; this is more what my comparison to it as a sort of "HP1" style sound entails. The P5 is a bit slow and plodding at times and excels primarily with vocal stuff where its ability to resolve sounds does an excellent job in making voices sound natural.

I think P5 are very stylish, good sounding on ear headphones but compared to T50p, DT1350 and Tesla wins hands down.

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #126 of 178
I don't think you're looking at this as a taste issue. It's a taste issue, and a matter of preference. 

But hey, make as many blanket statements as you feel are necessary. 

Quote:
I think P5 are very stylish, good sounding on ear headphones but compared to T50p, DT1350 and Tesla wins hands down.

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #127 of 178

Quote:

If it only were for technical merits, then I'd quite agree with you. The DT1350 extends further both way, is more detailed without being any harsher, much faster, and has a little bit better imaging IMHO.
But I also think that it's completely flawed as far as timber goes. Guitar and trumpets sound completely wrong with it in my opinion : flat, tiny, can-like. Much of it is due to the rather poor cup design.

On the other hand, I think the P5 has a superbly crafted sound signature. It was tuned by ear, and it shows : its measurements aren't very good, and I wish it were better technically, but it just makes my entire library sounds good, and for a pair of closed headphones (which in my opinion don't have to be neutral, as I've yet to come across a closed phone that can be called "neutral", if that term ever means something in head-fi), it's superbly natural. To me it has more "emotional power" than the DT 1350.

As far as engineering goes, I'd give the "bad implementation of great technology" palm to the DT 1350, and the "good implementation of average technology" to the P5.

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #128 of 178

Quote:
If it only were for technical merits, then I'd quite agree with you. The DT1350 extends further both way, is more detailed without being any harsher, much faster, and has a little bit better imaging IMHO.
But I also think that it's completely flawed as far as timber goes. Guitar and trumpets sound completely wrong with it in my opinion : flat, tiny, can-like. Much of it is due to the rather poor cup design.

On the other hand, I think the P5 has a superbly crafted sound signature. It was tuned by ear, and it shows : its measurements aren't very good, and I wish it were better technically, but it just makes my entire library sounds good, and for a pair of closed headphones (which in my opinion don't have to be neutral, as I've yet to come across a closed phone that can be called "neutral", if that term ever means something in head-fi), it's superbly natural. To me it has more "emotional power" than the DT 1350.

As far as engineering goes, I'd give the "bad implementation of great technology" palm to the DT 1350, and the "good implementation of average technology" to the P5.

Well put. The 1350 does go deep and treble does extend, but there are sections of the all-important midrange that seem like they are completely absent. The P5 sounds more seamless in this area but a bit rolled off at both ends.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #130 of 178
Mine are at this point a constant companion. They're one of those headphones that I'd truly mourn if I lost or traded. I think I probably wear these 5-7 hours a day; that's a rather significant amount of time. 

Quote:
I just bought these. They are fun  to listen to. And they are the best looking headphones I have EVER seen.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #131 of 178
Edit: Oops, my question was already answered earlier in the page.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #133 of 178
All B&W speakers are tuned by ear.  That's why they are so successful.  Ever heard a CM9?

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #134 of 178
I almost bought one and I loved the CM9. But I went for my 803s...Just because it was just on a whole other level. Still the CM9s were the first choice until I heard the ones I own now...I am a HUGE B & W fan. I own the old VM1s for my surround set up too

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #135 of 178
The 803 have a more dynamic Nautilus tweeter, though, I prefer them too.  But they're both fantastic.  Just so expensive.  I work in Mag, haha.  Every time I sell CM9 I get jealous.

Quote:
I almost bought one and I loved the CM9. But I went for my 803s...Just because it was just on a whole other level. Still the CM9s were the first choice until I heard the ones I own now...I am a HUGE B & W fan. I own the old VM1s for my surround set up too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back