Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones Review
Apr 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #106 of 178
Thank you so much everyone and apologies for the late reply. I had a demo of these and I must say, they sound very good. However, cutting out the drone of the engines would be an order too tall for them. I was recommended and have been doing some reading on the Shure SE535. Too bad I can't demo them here. Weighing these days whether to take the US$500 plunge or not. 

Once again, thank you very much and my compliments on running this place which is a treasure trove of knowledge for newbies like I. 

God bless!

Shahab.

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #107 of 178

Quote:
Quote:

[size=10.0pt]Hello![/size]

[size=10.0pt]Many thanks for this interesting discussion - I really enjoyed reading it! [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I’ve got one specific question – in your opinion, which headphones are more natural sounding – B&W P5 or Senn HD25-1-II (which of them will be better suited for classical music)? [/size]

I would personally say, giving the other headphones that you have that the HD25 will be better for you... The treble on the P5 would make you want for more... At least compared to your home cans...

It is horses for courses though, as - with all the praise I can heap on the HD25, the P5 are my guilty pleasure for when I am in the mood for fun...

Oh, and Karen Carpenter sounds sublime on the P5... Enough said for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you very much! I'll get Senns then.

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #108 of 178
Very interesting thread - there seem to be widely-diverging views on the P5's.

I have personally found them to be fun and easy to listen to for long periods of time.  I use them straight out of my iPhone and my MacBookPro.  I listen to classic rock and guitar-oriented music, with frequent moves into jazzy and folky stuff as well.  The only other somewhat expensive (for me) headphones I have had was a pair of Grado SR325i's, but I didn't find I used them for long periods of time, and I ended up selling them a while ago.  I find the P5's enjoyable and easy to listen to for long periods of time, which makes them a winner for me.

On a side note, does anyone think a portable amp would be any benefit?  If so, any particular brand?  I have about $600 I could invest, but I don't know if it would improve my listening experience, given my existing equipment.  My understanding is that amping them won't be worthwhile as they are designed to sound best straight out of a player.

Thanks

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #109 of 178
The problem with them is that they are more expensive that some much highly regarded Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic headphones of much higher audiophile sound quality. If it weren't for the price - they would be fine. I own excellent B & W speakers and am a HUGE fan - in my mind they can do NO wrong speaker wise - but these phones whilst quite good - do not qualify as worthy of the price they are selling for.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #110 of 178

Quote:
Originally posted by nowigetit.

Very interesting thread - there seem to be widely-diverging views on the P5's.

I have personally found them to be fun and easy to listen to for long periods of time.  I use them straight out of my iPhone and my MacBookPro.  I listen to classic rock and guitar-oriented music, with frequent moves into jazzy and folky stuff as well.  The only other somewhat expensive (for me) headphones I have had was a pair of Grado SR325i's, but I didn't find I used them for long periods of time, and I ended up selling them a while ago.  I find the P5's enjoyable and easy to listen to for long periods of time, which makes them a winner for me.

On a side note, does anyone think a portable amp would be any benefit?  If so, any particular brand?  I have about $600 I could invest, but I don't know if it would improve my listening experience, given my existing equipment.  My understanding is that amping them won't be worthwhile as they are designed to sound best straight out of a player.

Overall the B&W P5 are excellent commuting headphones, and are my daily choice, I also have a pair of HD25-1 ii which I have recabbled with a ibasso "HD650 balanced lead" for use with a ibasso PB1, and they both have their good points and bad points.

As the B&W P5 prefer AIFF to Apple lossless, and took about 200 hours to run in completely, and do benefit from amping, as I originally had a Fiio E5 with PX200 and when I got my Beatles Mono Box set this started my slippery slope to Head-Fi, and the B&W P5, then the Bob Dylan Mono recordings which are also excellent on the P5, but not so good on the HD25-1 ii.

With the P5, I am using a "Graham Slee Voyager" and find it an excellent amp which just gets better and better with use, as it was still getting better after 350+ hours and is still improving.  Also I never use the contour switch (bass boost,) as I do not like it, however plug in Alessandro MS1i and switch the contour on, and it rocks with the Rolling Stones and other such music, except for anything with too much bass.

The HD25-1 ii are also excellent studio phones, but not so comfortable for my daily commute compared with the P5.  However for balanced use they are excellent, if a little bit more picky with the music source.

Overall like slippers to running shoes!

Please forgive my poor 1st attempt at this forum.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #111 of 178
Stereophile mentioned the P5, powered by the Musical Fidelity V series products, at the AXPONA 2011.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/evolution-home-theater
http://www.stereophile.com/content/musical-fidelity-v-series

Apr 30, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #112 of 178
Excellent review, I think they are amongst the best looking and feeling headphones I've seen. When B&W upgrade this I think it will be a winner. Not bad for a first attempt at headphones, not bad at all.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #114 of 178
I actually recently picked up a pair of these myself. I'd heard a well-burned in pair at a friend's, and the build is absolutely one of the best I've seen on a modern headphone. 

These are really quite pleasant, right out of the box. Warm and rich though slightly congested in the upper register. I'd classify them as "fun" and they sound absolutely fantastic out of my iPad and portable gaming systems. These actually scratch a tremendous itch for me: well made and pleasant sounding travel headphones. I had an ESW9 for a bit which certainly sounded the part, but I feared for their safety when tossed into a bag. No issue with that here. 

Nice job, B&W. They're like tasty little HD650s I can wear everywhere without disturbing anyone.

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #116 of 178
To some degree, yeah. It's been a while since I've had a 650. I like these a lot for the same reasons though; warm and smooth but without eschewing detail. 

I'd actually liken them even more to the HP1000. Now, I know most people leave that on a pedestal and haven't heard it, but hear me out. The HP1 has a similar "muddy at first but then clear after acclimation" thing going for it. Once you get the right position and settle in with the P5, it's an incredibly rewarding headphone. 

Quote:
Interesting comment  - little HD650s - never thought of that one

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #117 of 178
I almost bought a pair a few months ago - and I only auditioned them in a shop - no real quality time with them...but your comment makes me re-think trying them again.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #118 of 178
I think they're excellent. I actually find myself listening to them at home a lot. 

The cost is a moving target though. If you like the sound and you're looking for a headphone that is incredibly durable and portable with that oh-so-stylish retro look, they're absolute gold. If you aren't a fan of the look, don't like the fit, or really disagree with anything they do at all, they're not worth it. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #120 of 178
Does the comment above ("little HD650s") imply that these have the full range sound of the HD650s?  From everything I've read so far on this thread, it really seems like the P5s are lacking in high end detail, and the HD650s have plenty of high end detail.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back