Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones Review
Feb 11, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #46 of 178
K guys, seriously. If you want in-depth discussion about the T5p, go to a thread like this instead:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/499215/beyerdynamic-t5p-photos-and-first-impressions

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #47 of 178
There are simply far better headphones you can get for the money, even for portable use. Sennheiser HD-25 is a good example. They have a similarly dark sound signature, without sounding congested one bit. They also isolate better.

I equate these P5s to Bose and Beats, to be perfectly honest with you...they're simply focusing on a different band (midrange, vs lows and highs). While they have decent midrange, the rest of the sound spectrum is just very unrefined. If you listen only to vocals and classical, they might sound good, but to any music demanding any speed, impact, or high end accuracy, they will fare very poorly.

Quote:
I appreciate the thorough review, thank you!

To me, the most telling part of this review is the "made for mobile devices" part. Here we have headphones designed specifically for iPods, cell phones, etc. I would assume that the vast majority of people out there have their music collections either on their computer and/or their iPod. Smart move for B&W, and smart move for those that listen via their iPod.

Kinda like me.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #49 of 178

Quote:
Yeah I pretty much think of B&W as European Bose, but they seem to get more respect than Bose on head-fi, maybe just because they're more obscure (to us Americans at least)

Quote:

I equate these P5s to Bose and Beats, to be perfectly honest with you...

No, I think that's because unlike Bose, B&W makes decent speakers:)

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #50 of 178
The P5 is growing on me a bit. They're comfortable and have a great, enjoyable sound. Perhaps not the most analytical headphones, but you don't always want that.

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #51 of 178
These are my go to headphones when I'm on the road using my iPhone or iPad. The are certainly not as sound isolating as in-ears, but I find in-ears somewhat uncomfortable for long flights. I also find in-ears a pain when someone wants to speak with you. Pulling them in and out and re-seating them is something I try to avoid doing. I also use the B&W's in the coffee shop were sound isolation is needed but I can  pull them off when needed and pack them up more quickly than in-ears.

Good and fair review. Thanks!

I dont' wear a fancy watch BTW :wink:

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #52 of 178

Quote:
Yeah I pretty much think of B&W as European Bose, but they seem to get more respect than Bose on head-fi, maybe just because they're more obscure (to us Americans at least)

I can't believe that is true. B & W make some of the best speakers in the world. Have you ever spent time listening to say the 803s? Or even any of the cheaper speaker sets like the CM9?? Brilliant sound quality...There is a reason B & W speakers are used at the top recording studios in the world....like Abbey Studios......

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #53 of 178

Their speakers are incredible though. I have the privilege of listening to my dad's B&W 800 Diamonds from time to time...they sound literally perfect to my ears.

The P5's are incredibly unlike any of their speakers, and I've heard a good 10 or so pairs through my dad's upgrades.
Quote:

Quote:

I equate these P5s to Bose and Beats, to be perfectly honest with you...

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #54 of 178
you do hear (some) similarities, I have B&W 603's at home and, maybe it's in the mind, but you hear some of those B&W lows in the p5

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #55 of 178
Personally, I don't think the P5s are all that great. They are fine for portable use but to be honest, I ended up buying the HUGE SHURE SRH 840 for portable phones because the sound was so much better and I didn't care about the portability or how they looked - I just wanted to hear great sound...

The P5s were good but there is so much better out there that for less price...and they are not in the least comparable with the B & W speaker lines...

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #57 of 178
btw is this thread in the wrong forum?
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #58 of 178

Quote:
If you listen only to vocals and classical, they might sound good, but to any music demanding any speed, impact, or high end accuracy, they will fare very poorly.

I don't know anything about the P5 headphones but I was a bit amused by this comment.

The classical repertoire is full of pieces which are hugely demanding of speed, impact, high end accuracy, in fact just about all aspects of reproduction.

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #59 of 178

Quote:

B&W make some of the finest loudspeakers in the world. I don't think this has necessarily any impact on the quality of the P5 headphones, but it might be why they get respect as a brand.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #60 of 178
That might be the most detailed and complete review I've ever read, thanks for that. I don't like them as much as you (don't like them at all TBQH) but everybody hears differently and even that comes across in your review. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back