Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones Review
Feb 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #16 of 178
I just got these for my fiance who is just not swooning for them. As much as I like em, I can't bring myself to take another pair of headphones into my collection.

If anyone wants to save a bit on a virtually brand new pair of P5's, shoot me a PM. I'll probably put together a formal FS ad later if they're still here.

And thanks for the review, Jude. It was a great read!

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #17 of 178
I don't mind paying a little more for style when a product looks this good! Great read, thanks!

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #18 of 178
A buddy of mine just got these yesterday and I had a chance to listen to it for a bit. Jude's review really reflects my initial perception of these headphones. They are very stylish - light on the head - and great for mobile use. If i had the change to spare, I would probably pick up a pair of these so that I have decent portable headphones to take with me when I travel.

Thanks for the review - great read!

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #19 of 178
I have a pair at home right now, and will likely return them. They look great and are comfortable, but they just don't sound good at all. They veil a lot of the detail that even my KSC 75 can reveal. Combine that with the lack of any soundstage whatsoever, and you're left with a headphone that just ends up feeling very congested.

I might give them another chance, outside of the house, and see if I can warm up to them. They look great, are solid, are very comfortable, and have iPhone controls, which are all nice pluses. At $200, I would probably keep them, but at $330 (in Canada)...I just feel like it's a little much to ask.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #20 of 178
just bought a pair of these for my gf. gave them to her last night for her trip across the ocean to SF. ...honestly, I can't wait to hear them myself. not sure I would get a pair for myself as I've got my eyes on one of the higher end AT headphones, but here's a question for all of you that own a pair:

what would you say is an in-ear equivalent to the P5's?

for portable headphones i prefer the in-ear type. i recently bought a pair of ATH-CM7SV, but not sure if I'm happy with them. i'm considering a pair of beyerdynamic MMX 101 iE's (so i can use it with my phone).

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 178

I've had the P5 for nearly a year. I don't think a lot of them for portable use because they shift too easily on my head. As to sound, they have very low coloration IMO, as low as the Senn HD-800, but they don't have the clarity (for lack of a better term) that the HD-800's have. I'd rate them as almost as good as the Grado 325's or Senn 600's, which isn't bad for $300.

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #23 of 178

That's weird. I consider them incredibly colored, and probably the warmest and darkest headphones I've ever listened to.

Quote:

I've had the P5 for nearly a year. I don't think a lot of them for portable use because they shift too easily on my head. As to sound, they have very low coloration IMO, as low as the Senn HD-800, but they don't have the clarity (for lack of a better term) that the HD-800's have. I'd rate them as almost as good as the Grado 325's or Senn 600's, which isn't bad for $300.

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #26 of 178

That's weird. I consider them incredibly colored, and probably the warmest and darkest headphones I've ever listened to.

Maybe you had a bad pair. My Klipsch Image Ones and Philips Stretch 'phones are much more colored, although much cheaper. I had a Bose QC2 at one time (and gave up on them after they went defective 3 times in one year), and the Bose sounded better than the P5, having an amazing midrange and OK highs, but being somewhat bass-heavy. So the P5 in my view is fairly neutral, somewhat like the HD-800, but lacking the detail of the 800. I did try the Bose QC3 briefly, which I thought was terrible, and which makes me wonder if maybe the QC2's might vary a lot in actual production samples. And the P5 would be a question as well, but I would expect better of B&W. Unfortunately (IMO) the P5 needs two changes to make it more suitable for portable use, outdoor, on the bus etc. One would be a more secure fit, and two would be stronger bass.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #29 of 178
I take it back.

Listening to these some more...these are possibly some of the worst headphones I have ever listened to. Bose Triports kick the P5's to the curb. No joke.

KSC 75 are quite superior in sound quality and neutrality when compared to the P5's. While the bass is not as detailed, everything from 200Hz and up is far more detailed on the KSC-75. There are so many details I can hear on those that are just lost on these P5's.

Also, while there is more bass on the P5's, it's really, really bad. It's the most uncontrolled bass I have heard. I think the sound is akin to someone driving an 88 Civic with a cheap subwoofer in the trunk at full blast.

edit: maybe I got a defective pair...I'm at a loss.

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #30 of 178
What a coincidence that you'd post a review on the P5! I just came back from a work trip and saw a guy in a suit, sitting in Business Class using a pair of P5 with his iPad. Right there and then I thought to myself: if I have to fly more often, that's the kind of sweet setup I wish I could afford.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back