Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphone
Apr 6, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #16 of 25
Since this is a portable headphone, i had it plugged into the dacport to a macbook.
The P5 has clarity without being sibilant..smooth sounding without fatigue. 
(quite surprised how the sound can travel thru tat thick foam without being compromised ..nice job! )
vocals are beautiful, bass is not weak or muddy, James Ingram sounds smooth n sonorous, beautiful...soaring too.
The soundstage is not congested, or funneled.. the presentation is very slightly hallish in a NICE manner. BIG sounding.
I have rotated thru more than ten songs, over many genres,  all very enjoyable. Nothing annoying, i will consider this a great pair of portable.
It is not a lean analytical cold type of headfone. 
I like this very much.
popcorn.gif

May 10, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #17 of 25
The burn-in effects the p5 more then any other cans i've ever tried!!!  theres a world of difference!!!!

ps: I too feel underwhelmed by them when watching movies with them..  wonder why.... 

May 13, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #18 of 25
I'm surprised you all like the P5 so much I owned a pair for a year and sold them. My findings were they were far from neutral and were quite colored sounding detail was lacking and bass was muddy. I didn't think they were bad headphones I just felt put off that I paid so much money for that type of sound signature when I could have bought better. I hope B&W puts out a another headphone in the near future and these flaws are addressed. I did find the styling of the P5 beautiful and the fit and isolation was excellent.

Anyone heard any rumors of a new B&W headset coming down the pike?

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #19 of 25
I first bought a Grado SR225i but the mid-tones where a bit "out there".  I got listening fatique pretty quick.
Thats why i traded it in for a B&W P5.

No the B&W P5 isn't neutral, its has a warm sound.  But i can listen to it for hours while i can listen to grados for only 20 minutes and i have ear pain for the rest of the day.

I think the P5 still sounds better the a senheiser 600/650.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #20 of 25
I actually get hurt wearing the p5 for more than say..  30mins..

BUT FARK THAT!! if the girlfriend can stand an entire day with painful heels..  then I can too!! with the p5!!

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #21 of 25
Unfortunately that sounds like what headphones ought not to be: painful.
Also you should know that girls dress up to impress other girls.

Quote:
I actually get hurt wearing the p5 for more than say..  30mins..

BUT FARK THAT!! if the girlfriend can stand an entire day with painful heels..  then I can too!! with the p5!!

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #23 of 25

Quote:
Don´t worth their price....maybe they´re comfy...good looking, but - that´s all. At least for me. Every single line seems to be recessed for me and they´re also over-bassed - for someone they will be maybe funny and accurate, for me hell NO. Not worth....IMO.

I wan't to point out that I've have seen two groups of P5 opinions, each one having similar opinions. The theory is that they made the earcups from the first lot muffle the sound and thus, giving over-bass. They actually sound as good or better than HD25-II's and beyers on the price. I'm not asking you to change your opinion, but it bugs me that the community doesn't know the real quality of these phones.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #24 of 25
I definitely ruled them out a long time ago when reading comparisons. Recently I've been getting pretty interested in getting them in the hopes that they have a sound that's as natural as my HJE900 IEM.

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #25 of 25
This thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd reply anyway... My local hifi shop owner where I've got most of our stuff, tells me that B&W products are a bit "commercial sounding". I'm not sure what exactly he means...maybe it's like the monosodium glutamate of the audio world. But I too like the sound of B&W speakers...they're warm, deep, not too sharp but very bright.  So I'm looking forward to trying the P5s because if they can capture that, great.

When I was auditioning headphones the last time round back in 99, I was really unimpressed by Sennheise (lacking bass depth), Koss, Grado...and at the time I really fell in love with the CD1700s from Sony which used the same diaphragm as the R10s in my avatar.  I think they too have all the characteristics of good B&W speakers. They can be seismic and unnerving, but very delicate too. Apart from their size, I forget I'm wearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back