Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Dec 13, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #661 of 2,022
  Focal Elear vs B&W P9.... 3 2 1 GO! Sound quality. Idc about the difference between closed or semi-open. The Focal's sound pretty closed in to me. 

We spent a LOT of time with these as part of a 12+ TOTL shootout (here is link to the full write up)

Between the two, I would definitely lean toward the Elear.  It was just a little thin at the top end, but overall very very nice.  For commercial cans in that price range, the Elears were the winner for me (Utopias are next level, but so is the price, and not everyone is comfortable with aftermark mods like the Audio Zenith PMx2)

I had the highest hopes and expectations for the P9's, but the P9's had a frustratingly confused tonal profile for me (I say this as someone that adores the B&W house sound).  The extra big caveat is that we found significant variability in what people were hearing, depending on the shape of their head and how they wore the headphones.  If you audition, they might be a goldilocks zone for you, but I unfortunately couldn't get them there for me.  I sincerely hope the P9 lightning adapter is able to take these to the next level.

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #663 of 2,022
I've seldom come across a set of cans with so much division

+100

Even with our small test group of 5 people (very different head sizes/shapes), we had radically different reactions to the P9.  With some physical fiddling (pressure, angle, positioning, etc), we were able to approximate the same subjective experience (at least the same zip code), but it took a lot of fiddling to get there.  Our default "put it on your head and listen" experience was radically different.

That being said, the B&W has a world class fulfillment and satisfaction system in place.  My unit shipped within an hour or two of ordering, and returning it for full credit couldn't have been easier. Fantastic customer experience, and much appreciated (and yet another reason I'm a B&W customer for life for my speaker setup)

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #664 of 2,022
+100

Even with our small test group of 5 people (very different head sizes/shapes), we had radically different reactions to the P9.  With some physical fiddling (pressure, angle, positioning, etc), we were able to approximate the same subjective experience (at least the same zip code), but it took a lot of fiddling to get there.  Our default "put it on your head and listen" experience was radically different.

That being said, the B&W has a world class fulfillment and satisfaction system in place.  My unit shipped within an hour or two of ordering, and returning it for full credit couldn't have been easier. Fantastic customer experience, and much appreciated (and yet another reason I'm a B&W customer for life for my speaker setup)

Thanks...I don't feel weird as if I'm misreading....but why is the fit on this one so particular to the sound?...can't think of other cans and such fit to sound issues?

Also anyone compare these to the Sennheiser hd650 or 700/800?

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #667 of 2,022
Dec 17, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #670 of 2,022
Is there sound leakage from these , I mostly planing to use during travel in Train and office and dont want to bother my fellow passengers and colleagues, also how good is the isloation. thanks

Dec 17, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #671 of 2,022
The norwegian hifi magazine "lyd og bilde" is testing these now,and are coming with an review later.But i read an comment from their journalist on their instagram account where he said: These are hard priced,but not overpriced.He also said that he wasnt used to this kind of sound at this price point.He was normally used to "neautral" sound at this price range.But he said that you should think of these as having speakers on you head.Couldnt agreed more :D Im looking forward to the review :)

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #673 of 2,022
Good evening.

Long time lurker here breaking my silence to ask a few questions, if I may.

I am considering the P9 as a "companion" to the HD800. I would like a set of cans to use with the kind of music where the HD800 does not shine. A slightly more fun set of cans so to speak.
For those of you that has heard both, would you consider the P9 as a candidate or are there any other alternatives you would recommend instead?

Mobility is not an issue. I have the P5 s2 for that.
Thanks

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #675 of 2,022

Users who are viewing this thread

Back