Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Dec 22, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #677 of 2,022
Good evening.

Long time lurker here breaking my silence to ask a few questions, if I may.

I am considering the P9 as a "companion" to the HD800. I would like a set of cans to use with the kind of music where the HD800 does not shine. A slightly more fun set of cans so to speak.
For those of you that has heard both, would you consider the P9 as a candidate or are there any other alternatives you would recommend instead?

Mobility is not an issue. I have the P5 s2 for that.
Thanks

I was in exactly the same position as yourself. I love my HD800's, but find they are best suited to classical music. I also wanted something a bit more 'fun' for listening to other genres.
The P9 wasn't out when I made the decision to get a pair of Beyerdynamic T1's. These are lovely, and I find them a perfect compliment to the HD800's.
However, I also own a pair of P7 Wireless for on-the-move, and I love those too. I suspect if the P9's had been out when I bought the T1's, it would have been a more difficult decision.
I haven't heard the P9's, but I would probably recommend putting the P9's and the T1's 'head to head' to see which you prefer, as I'm sure they have very different sound signatures, if my P7W's are anything to go by.

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #678 of 2,022
I was in exactly the same position as yourself. I love my HD800's, but find they are best suited to classical music. I also wanted something a bit more 'fun' for listening to other genres.
The P9 wasn't out when I made the decision to get a pair of Beyerdynamic T1's. These are lovely, and I find them a perfect compliment to the HD800's.
However, I also own a pair of P7 Wireless for on-the-move, and I love those too. I suspect if the P9's had been out when I bought the T1's, it would have been a more difficult decision.
I haven't heard the P9's, but I would probably recommend putting the P9's and the T1's 'head to head' to see which you prefer, as I'm sure they have very different sound signatures, if my P7W's are anything to go by.

Thank you, that was mighty helpful. Beyerdynamics are easy enough to come buy in my neck of the woods (Norway) so I will probably manage to find a place that has a pair in stock.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #680 of 2,022
We spent a LOT of time with these as part of a 12+ TOTL shootout (here is link to the full write up)

Between the two, I would definitely lean toward the Elear.  It was just a little thin at the top end, but overall very very nice.  For commercial cans in that price range, the Elears were the winner for me (Utopias are next level, but so is the price, and not everyone is comfortable with aftermark mods like the Audio Zenith PMx2)

I had the highest hopes and expectations for the P9's, but the P9's had a frustratingly confused tonal profile for me (I say this as someone that adores the B&W house sound).  The extra big caveat is that we found significant variability in what people were hearing, depending on the shape of their head and how they wore the headphones.  If you audition, they might be a goldilocks zone for you, but I unfortunately couldn't get them there for me.  I sincerely hope the P9 lightning adapter is able to take these to the next level.
How would you say the bass compares between the two Elear vs P9? And other sound characteristics between the two. What were the strengths and weaknesses.? Tks

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #681 of 2,022
Thank you, that was mighty helpful. Beyerdynamics are easy enough to come buy in my neck of the woods (Norway) so I will probably manage to find a place that has a pair in stock.

You should also try the beyerdynamic t5p 2 generation.I sold mine to get the focal elears.I also have the b&w p9.I  like the dark sound of the p9s.But for some it could be too dark.And i must say that i regret i sold myy t5ps.Norway here too :wink:

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #682 of 2,022
How would you say the bass compares between the two Elear vs P9? And other sound characteristics between the two. What were the strengths and weaknesses.? Tks

For me, bass on the P9 was boomie and out of control.  By fiddling with the positioning on my head, I could temper it down, but I couldn't find a position where it was stable and consistent.  For me, bass and eveness was surprisingly sensitive to positioning.  My friends in the shootout all had very different experiences with the P9.  We were able to get them to qualitatively be similar by fiddling with positioning on our respective heads, but it was frustrating (to say the least).

I found both Focals to have solid and resilient he lows and mids (full range speaker like: controlled, balanced, confident, and full extension).  The Elears were a bit thin in the top end for my taste, but the Utopias were vivid and fast in the highs (very impressive).

Other than the Audio Zenith PMx2s and maybe the Stax SR-009's, Utopias are the best I've ever heard.  Elears have enough of a family resemblance that I appreciated them for what they were at their (much more sane) price point.

I was really sad that I wasn't in the goldilocks zone with the P9's: the fit and finish were off the charts, I'm a huge fan of the B&W house sound, and I desperately wanted to add them to my B&W mix.  The variability was just too much, and I wasn't able to get them positoned in a way where all the pieces were right for me.  I'd be delighted with the Elears, and the Utopias are aptly named (amazing headphones).  My bias for neutrality steered me towards the PMx2's in the end, but these are all fantastic headphones.

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #683 of 2,022
For me, bass on the P9 was boomie and out of control.  By fiddling with the positioning on my head, I could temper it down, but I couldn't find a position where it was stable and consistent.  For me, bass and eveness was surprisingly sensitive to positioning.  My friends in the shootout all had very different experiences with the P9.  We were able to get them to qualitatively be similar by fiddling with positioning on our respective heads, but it was frustrating (to say the least).

I found both Focals to have solid and resilient he lows and mids (full range speaker like: controlled, balanced, confident, and full extension).  The Elears were a bit thin in the top end for my taste, but the Utopias were vivid and fast in the highs (very impressive).

Other than the Audio Zenith PMx2s and maybe the Stax SR-009's, Utopias are the best I've ever heard.  Elears have enough of a family resemblance that I appreciated them for what they were at their (much more sane) price point.

I was really sad that I wasn't in the goldilocks zone with the P9's: the fit and finish were off the charts, I'm a huge fan of the B&W house sound, and I desperately wanted to add them to my B&W mix.  The variability was just too much, and I wasn't able to get them positoned in a way where all the pieces were right for me.  I'd be delighted with the Elears, and the Utopias are aptly named (amazing headphones).  My bias for neutrality steered me towards the PMx2's in the end, but these are all fantastic headphones.
P9 with the Hugo was not dark.

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #684 of 2,022
  You should also try the beyerdynamic t5p 2 generation.I sold mine to get the focal elears.I also have the b&w p9.I  like the dark sound of the p9s.But for some it could be too dark.And i must say that i regret i sold myy t5ps.Norway here too :wink:

Thanks for the tip, but apparently everything Beyerdynamics is more difficult to obtain than I first assumed.

But I managed to go listen to the P9 yesterday and I liked what I heard. The soundstage was beautiful and so was the attention to detail.
The amount of bass was a bit much, but in a way it was a welcome change after listening exclusively to the HD800 for a while now. I think I will pick one up right after Christmas.

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #685 of 2,022
Thanks for the tip, but apparently everything Beyerdynamics is more difficult to obtain than I first assumed.

But I managed to go listen to the P9 yesterday and I liked what I heard. The soundstage was beautiful and so was the attention to detail.
The amount of bass was a bit much, but in a way it was a welcome change after listening exclusively to the HD800 for a while now. I think I will pick one up right after Christmas.
Any less Bass my Metal music will lack bass.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #686 of 2,022

What song you define it about the dark? Please enlightened about it.. Thanks. So far to me, still alright especially to the old old songs I have been listening to thru ifi micro system. :grin:

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #687 of 2,022
What song you define it about the dark? Please enlightened about it.. Thanks. So far to me, still alright especially to the old old songs I have been listening to thru ifi micro system. :grin:

I should clarify that I did not find dark but rather boomie.  On certain low notes, it literally rattled on my head (not pleasant).  There were some weird resonances going on.  I could fiddle to try and manage them, but it was very sensitive to head positioning for me.  However, there was a huge variability in the qualitative experience of the 4 of us that auditioned them.  Please do not read my experience as predictive for how you will hear them.  I recommend giving an audition yourself.  (for background, my go to demo tracks and what I listen for are detailed in my write up here).

@jmills8 I have not auditioned the Hugo's but would love to hear them.  My primary DAC/Amp for my P9 was a Jotunheim, which had a pretty unassuming DAC section with a fairly clinical amp (I did not get my Mojo until after I had returned the P9's).

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #688 of 2,022
I should clarify that I did not find dark but rather boomie.  On certain low notes, it literally rattled on my head (not pleasant).  There were some weird resonances going on.  I could fiddle to try and manage them, but it was very sensitive to head positioning for me.  However, there was a huge variability in the qualitative experience of the 4 of us that auditioned them.  Please do not read my experience as predictive for how you will hear them.  I recommend giving an audition yourself.  (for background, my go to demo tracks and what I listen for are detailed in my write up here).

@jmills8
 I have not auditioned the Hugo's but would love to hear them.  My primary DAC/Amp for my P9 was a Jotunheim, which had a pretty unassuming DAC section with a fairly clinical amp (I did not get my Mojo until after I had returned the P9's).
Guess I love bass cause I EQ my Hugo.

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #689 of 2,022

@jmills8
 I have not auditioned the Hugo's but would love to hear them.  My primary DAC/Amp for my P9 was a Jotunheim, which had a pretty unassuming DAC section with a fairly clinical amp (I did not get my Mojo until after I had returned the P9's).

I do agreed in what your experience with the positioning differ about the sound signature it produced. I do also personally found that recording resources are very important. But to me, most of the old songs from the 80's and 90's still produced the best when using the P9 for listening. (Mostly I prefer country, old folk, classical play music and some pop songs from that era.) But when I listen to some new songs especially artist like James Blunt, James Arthur the new generation recording, and yes I found the bass somehow became hollow and bloomie. Perhaps it is the sources?? I have used other headphones on the same songs I listened from James Blunt and James Arthur album, the songs appeared to be unclean. Bass also a bit heavier. (Using ATH-R70X, HD 800s and B&O B6.) But not as bloomie as P9. But with good source like songs from Keith Greeninger, Dire Straits.... It sound real good on P9. That's so far I have been encountered. And yes, it actually make me with love and hate feeling to it. :joy::joy:

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #690 of 2,022
Bought the P9 earlier this week and so far I am very pleased with them. My non-iem listening is limited to Oppo PM3, B&O H6 and the P7. The P9 for me is quite a step up from all of those models. More detail and with more depth to the sound. I'm not having any issues with boomy sound from the bass, even with only a few hours use I'm finding the bass well textured with a nice slam when the track requires it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back