Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Mar 7, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #3,526 of 5,140
Thank you!
Maybe that's why the Bathys analogue input is nothing special as it doesn't use the dedicated/separate DAC.
I think it is pretty clear that both Bathys and PX8 has the 3,5mm input only as an emergency solution or perhaps for airplane use. Quite pointless in other scenarios.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #3,528 of 5,140
Yeah the 3.5 sounds god awful on both to me. I find myself using USB almost all of the time now on both as I really notice the depreciation in sound over bluetooth (more so on the Bathys) For me the DAC not drawing from the phone power is a significant benefit rather than gimmick - I don't have an ipad and so the volume is very low on the PX8 when it is wired to my phone, presumably as my phone isn't powerful enough to drive it. The Bathys on the other hand remains unaffected volume wise. Again this is down to personal use but for me it's a massive benefit. My Bathys do still charge, albeit slowly when hooked up to my laptop in DAC mode.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #3,529 of 5,140
Very much looking forward to trying out this travel combo (PX8 and Pi7 S2) on international flights and a 8 day trip to Malaysia next week. Will report back how things work out, particularly using the Pi7 S2 case as a bluetooth transmitter with the in-flight entertainment system on Turkish Airlines.

Attachments

• 20230308_093116.jpg
    20230308_093116.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #3,530 of 5,140
Very much looking forward to trying out this travel combo (PX8 and Pi7 S2) on international flights and a 8 day trip to Malaysia next week. Will report back how things work out, particularly using the Pi7 S2 case as a bluetooth transmitter with the in-flight entertainment system on Turkish Airlines.
Very nice!
Enjoy your trip & the music.

Mar 8, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #3,531 of 5,140

That’s an excellent pair to travel with. On such long flights you’ll need to switch while the Pi7 recharge. But the PX8 will cover for them nicely. Don’t know if you’ve been to Malaysia before but... it’s simply amazing. Enjoy.

Mar 8, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #3,532 of 5,140
That’s an excellent pair to travel with. On such long flights you’ll need to switch while the Pi7 recharge. But the PX8 will cover for them nicely. Don’t know if you’ve been to Malaysia before but... it’s simply amazing. Enjoy.
I have been to Malaysia, many times. This is a work trip, but still very enjoyable.

Mar 9, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #3,533 of 5,140
Unfortunately, due to ANC issue in the right earcup, I had to return my Px8.

Figured I'd try a different color scheme this time.

Well, McLaren edition is nice........ however, I think I still prefer the black version. It's just a bit more clean and classy to me.

Something to consider before dropping an additional hundo.
Good news is, these are just as comfortable and Sound just as amazing! :beerchug::L3000:

20230309_164510.jpg20230309_164943.jpg

Mar 9, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #3,534 of 5,140
So, the PX8 arrived, and...I think I have a deffective unit.
its not just that low bass isn't impactful like on the H95, I didn't expect that thanks to some detailed impressions from several of you and i appreciate those impressions. This is hard to articulate, but here goes. This particular pair of headphones has some farely detailed mids, but bass generally sounds,..trapped i think is one way to describe it, and generally the sound is almost shallow, like there is no where for it to go.
The sound opens up a bit with ANC off but if I throw anything that has a lot of instruments at it the whole presentation is messy and honestly, tinny at times.
That seems different from what I've read on this thread and from reviews. i'm not sure what to think.
could one of you share a song you feel brings out the best in the PX8 and please call out parts you feel highlight the strengths of the headphone.

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #3,535 of 5,140
its not just that low bass isn't impactful like on the H95, I didn't expect that thanks to some detailed impressions from several of you and i appreciate those impressions. This is hard to articulate, but here goes. This particular pair of headphones has some farely detailed mids, but bass generally sounds,..trapped i think is one way to describe it, and generally the sound is almost shallow, like there is no where for it to go.
The sound opens up a bit with ANC off but if I throw anything that has a lot of instruments at it the whole presentation is messy and honestly, tinny at times.
That seems different from what I've read on this thread and from reviews. i'm not sure what to think.
could one of you share a song you feel brings out the best in the PX8 and please call out parts you feel highlight the strengths of the headphone.
I personally like the song Nightfly by Donald fagen on my PX8s. Nice bass, and symbols throughout. On mine the separation and clarity are really good. Have you played around with the EQ?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #3,536 of 5,140
Unfortunately, due to ANC issue in the right earcup, I had to return my Px8.

Figured I'd try a different color scheme this time.

Well, McLaren edition is nice........ however, I think I still prefer the black version. It's just a bit more clean and classy to me.

Something to consider before dropping an additional hundo.
Good news is, these are just as comfortable and Sound just as amazing! :beerchug::L3000:

20230309_164510.jpg20230309_164943.jpg
Black is nice but I think you win with those... definitely not worth the ton though!

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #3,537 of 5,140
I personally like the song Nightfly by Donald fagen on my PX8s. Nice bass, and symbols throughout. On mine the separation and clarity llare really good. Have you played around with the EQ?
Work has been crazy lately so haven't had a chance to yet. planning on that tomorrow. Thanks for the song suggestion, i'll check it out.

Mar 10, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #3,539 of 5,140
Which HPs were you mainly using prior to the Px8? Looking at your sig, if it was something like the HD800s/Aonic, I can understand. That was the case for me. I typically have a strong preference towards 'neutral' sounding cans e.g., HD600, NDH-30, S4X, MM-500, T3-01 etc.., so when I first tried the Px8, it felt completely off. It sounded very congested with overblown mid bass. But once I got acclimated to the new sound, it was rich and overall pleasing sound, albeit still a bit too intimate staging wise. Give it some time for your brain to catch up. If it still doesn't work for you, return it. I wouldn't pay attention to other reviews/impressions. If you take away all the sponsored reviews, hype, and biases, ain't much to look at anyways. If it ain't for you, it ain't for you. No need to conform yourself to "perceived" consensus.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #3,540 of 5,140
Which HPs were you mainly using prior to the Px8? Looking at your sig, if it was something like the HD800s/Aonic, I can understand. That was the case for me. I typically have a strong preference towards 'neutral' sounding cans e.g., HD600, NDH-30, S4X, MM-500, T3-01 etc.., so when I first tried the Px8, it felt completely off. It sounded very congested with overblown mid bass. But once I got acclimated to the new sound, it was rich and overall pleasing sound, albeit still a bit too intimate staging wise. Give it some time for your brain to catch up. If it still doesn't work for you, return it. I wouldn't pay attention to other reviews/impressions. If you take away all the sponsored reviews, hype, and biases, ain't much to look at anyways. If it ain't for you, it ain't for you. No need to conform yourself to "perceived" consensus.
Agree with this entirely. Give it a period of adjustment, and, also, I do think a period of running in the headphones (playing music through then without listening) is also probably advised. However, if after a reasonable listening period and listening to your favourite music, the PX8 don't appeal to you, there are different sounding alternatives out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back