Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Mar 10, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #3,542 of 5,212
Got my pair of Px8 yesterday. While I love almost everything about them the high clamping pressure is quite uncomfortable on my admittedly huge head so after a couple of hours I just want to take them off. Before that I've been using a cheap pair of Anker Q30 which I can wear all day every day no problems. Can anyone who had a similar experience tell me if this gets better with time?
Otherwise what alternatives do I have that are less tight and which ones should I definitely avoid?

Mar 10, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #3,543 of 5,212
Got my pair of Px8 yesterday. While I love almost everything about them the high clamping pressure is quite uncomfortable on my admittedly huge head so after a couple of hours I just want to take them off. Before that I've been using a cheap pair of Anker Q30 which I can wear all day every day no problems. Can anyone who had a similar experience tell me if this gets better with time?
Otherwise what alternatives do I have that are less tight and which ones should I definitely avoid?
Simple answer, yes, but whether the clamping pressure remains an issue for you even when they have been used a bit is difficult to say. Out of the box, I found the PX8s to be a tad uncomfortable, but this disappeared after a few days use in anger. Whether it was actually because the clamping force dissipated, that I got used to wearing them or a combination of both is impossible to say, I now find them one of the more comfortable of the premium headphones, and happily wear them for hours in a day, and often with reading glasses. I say this because, almost certainly, lighter (but well built) headphones are less likely to pose comfort issues, and in that I would include the Sony MX range, Bose Quiet Comforts and the Anker Soundcore headphones.
PS Yes, I do have a big head, both physically and otherwise.

Mar 10, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #3,544 of 5,212
Which HPs were you mainly using prior to the Px8? Looking at your sig, if it was something like the HD800s/Aonic, I can understand. That was the case for me. I typically have a strong preference towards 'neutral' sounding cans e.g., HD600, NDH-30, S4X, MM-500, T3-01 etc.., so when I first tried the Px8, it felt completely off. It sounded very congested with overblown mid bass. But once I got acclimated to the new sound, it was rich and overall pleasing sound, albeit still a bit too intimate staging wise. Give it some time for your brain to catch up. If it still doesn't work for you, return it. I wouldn't pay attention to other reviews/impressions. If you take away all the sponsored reviews, hype, and biases, ain't much to look at anyways. If it ain't for you, it ain't for you. No need to conform yourself to "perceived" consensus.
This is a really wise advice that i completely agree with!

What's the "reference" is a very important factor that affects how we gauge the sound of headphones. I often find some headphones to be bass light/too harsh/close in but when i get used to such tuning, i feel the other way around when moving on to different tuning headphones. also, most music (pop music) i listen to is complied/ synthesized/processed/ mixed out of nothing rather than a live performance recording so there's no gold standard to compare against what's a more "correct" reproduction. thus whatever gives me more fun/enjoyment will be a better headphones for me :relaxed: and this preference could change quite often depends on my conditions and music i listen to. i also found what makes great headphones seldom commensurate with price.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #3,545 of 5,212
Have you tried 'gently' stretching the headband? After going thru two sets of px8, one thing i noticed was the different clamping force. One was very comfortable out of the box, and the other one was tight on my head. And I know this for sure because when I removed them from the case for the first time, one was touching at the earcups, and the other one was farther spread apart. It doesn't take much force at all to slightly widen the headband to better form to your head IME.

The smaller pad opening won't be an issue for most people IMO, because of how aggressive the driver housing is angled.

For my head, this is one of the most comfortable HP to wear for a long time with matching sound sig suited for extended sessions. And of course YMMV.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #3,546 of 5,212
Which HPs were you mainly using prior to the Px8? Looking at your sig, if it was something like the HD800s/Aonic, I can understand. That was the case for me. I typically have a strong preference towards 'neutral' sounding cans e.g., HD600, NDH-30, S4X, MM-500, T3-01 etc.., so when I first tried the Px8, it felt completely off. It sounded very congested with overblown mid bass. But once I got acclimated to the new sound, it was rich and overall pleasing sound, albeit still a bit too intimate staging wise. Give it some time for your brain to catch up. If it still doesn't work for you, return it. I wouldn't pay attention to other reviews/impressions. If you take away all the sponsored reviews, hype, and biases, ain't much to look at anyways. If it ain't for you, it ain't for you. No need to conform yourself to "perceived" consensus.
Yeah I have primarily been using a JBL TourOne, just for the ANC. My Momentum3, qc35 for travel, then at home my HD800S, Aonic and H95, sometimes my NAD Viso HP70.
last night I listened to the PX8 some more after work, and i had a similar experience to what you describe as far as your brain getting used to the sound. While i still wasn't crazy about the default sound I really started to notice things i liked. It's a different sound than anything else I have. today I got a chance to play with the eq, and found just adding +.5DB on Treble, and lowering the bass a bit really made a big difference. I do wish they were a little less intimate , that's a good description. But I am enjoying listening to them. Have had them on most of the last 5 hours or so and been trying out a bunch of music.
i don't like returning stuff i've bought unless its defective etc, but i went in to this not afraid to return if I didn't like them.
i'm still trying to decide if they're worth the cost to me, but going to enjoy them for a while, test them out when I leave on Tuesday and go from there..
:Agree with this entirely. Give it a period of adjustment, and, also, I do think a period of running in the headphones (playing music through then without listening) is also probably advised. However, if after a reasonable listening period and listening to your favourite music, the PX8 don't appeal to you, there are different sounding alternatives out there..
i first wanted to see if after eq I liked what I heard enough to potentially give time for more of that adjustment. I'm a believer in breaking headphones in letting music play from them, so we'll see how it goes.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #3,547 of 5,212
My experience with the Px8 is that they were quite comfy from the start but that they improved greatly over the first week or so of heavy use. The ear cups formed to my head. The headband can be stretched carefully but I didnt need this myself (but did it with other B&W cans). Now PX8 are some of the most comfy headphones I have tried, surpassed only by Bose QC35…

I would say that as long as your ears are not too big for the cups it should be possible to get a really good fit.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #3,548 of 5,212
My experience with the Px8 is that they were quite comfy from the start but that they improved greatly over the first week or so of heavy use. The ear cups formed to my head. The headband can be stretched carefully but I didnt need this myself (but did it with other B&W cans). Now PX8 are some of the most comfy headphones I have tried, surpassed only by Bose QC35…

I would say that as long as your ears are not too big for the cups it should be possible to get a really good fit.
This is true. I have the largest head in my peer group and found the clamping force to be most agreeable on the PX8. Mine haven't loosened though so if they don't fit you now, I doubt that'll change.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #3,549 of 5,212
i haven't had the same experience with this, mine have felt great on my head, up there with my QC35, Momentum3 etc.

Mar 11, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #3,550 of 5,212
This is true. I have the largest head in my peer group and found the clamping force to be most agreeable on the PX8. Mine haven't loosened though so if they don't fit you now, I doubt that'll change.
It is easy to stretch the headband but impossible to bend it back if too loose. One way to do it carefully is to place the headphone over a set of books with suitable thickness.

Mar 11, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #3,551 of 5,212
It is easy to stretch the headband but impossible to bend it back if too loose. One way to do it carefully is to place the headphone over a set of books with suitable thickness.
I'm sure it can be done but not advisable in my opinion. The leather on the PX8 is delicate enough with stretching it on some hefty tome! Wouldn't do it myself.

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #3,552 of 5,212
I'm sure it can be done but not advisable in my opinion. The leather on the PX8 is delicate enough with stretching it on some hefty tome! Wouldn't do it myself.
Well I am not talking about any violent stretch per se, but the ”book method” is very gentle and shouldnt be a problem. I do it with most headphones.

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #3,554 of 5,212
Wanted to chime in - I agree with some of the posters regarding clamping pressure. I found the PX8 to be uncomfortable for extended sessions when I first got them, to the point where they caused tension headaches. With use, the headphones became way more comfortable and the discomfort subsided. When I replaced the PX8 with my second pair (battery issues), the cycle repeated. After having the second pair for a while and listening regularly, they are extremely comfortable now.

App settings:
Bass : -1.5
Treble: +1
ANC varies between fully on and pass-through depending on situation.

Use setting:
- Bluetooth when out and about; wired (usb-c) when at home. Audio quality is wonderful for both and the midnight blue (007) is gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back