Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Mar 13, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #3,556 of 5,212
Same here! I have also an issue with the clamping pressure. Compared with my old headphone (Sony) the pressure is too high for me out of the box. Glad to hear that this seems to get better after some time.
It will definitely be better. Just make sure you have enough room in the ear cups and everything else will soften up, including the pads and the headband itself.

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #3,557 of 5,212
Am I crazy that I prefer the sound of Jabra 75ts?

I went into my local and tried these on for the first time. The shipment arrived two weeks ago so I'm sure there would have been sufficient time for burn in. The sound is very articulate but doesn't sound full or lively. Seemed to be a little veiled to me using default EQ settings.

Jabra 75ts have incredible sub bass, and it makes every instrument and vocal sounds so much fuller, something which I felt was missing with the PX8s. On the PX8s everything seemed a little bit far away and conservative. Maybe I am just used to the sound of the 75ts, but I can't help but feel like Jabra really blew it out of the park with them, and it's not worth paying so much extra for a marginal sounds improvement. Maybe I need to look at wired headphones?

When I can I'll go back in with the B&W app installed so I can play around with EQ settings and see if it makes a big difference, but I expected these to be better out of the box.

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #3,558 of 5,212

I went into my local and tried these on for the first time. The shipment arrived two weeks ago so I'm sure there would have been sufficient time for burn in. The sound is very articulate but doesn't sound full or lively. Seemed to be a little veiled to me using default EQ settings.

Jabra 75ts have incredible sub bass, and it makes every instrument and vocal sounds so much fuller, something which I felt was missing with the PX8s. On the PX8s everything seemed a little bit far away and conservative. Maybe I am just used to the sound of the 75ts, but I can't help but feel like Jabra really blew it out of the park with them, and it's not worth paying so much extra for a marginal sounds improvement. Maybe I need to look at wired headphones?

When I can I'll go back in with the B&W app installed so I can play around with EQ settings and see if it makes a big difference, but I expected these to be better out of the box.
I presume you mean the Jabra Elite 75t in-ears?
I have these and they are very good for what they are. Much better than AirPods Pro if they fit. And yes they can produce insane amount of bass. But in pure sound quality they are nowhere near the PX8. Maybe you got a poor seal with the PX8?

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #3,559 of 5,212
I presume you mean the Jabra Elite 75t in-ears?
I have these and they are very good for what they are. Much better than AirPods Pro if they fit. And yes they can produce insane amount of bass. But in pure sound quality they are nowhere near the PX8. Maybe you got a poor seal with the PX8?
I do mean the in ears.

Not sure that would have been the issue as I didn't notice a gap in the seal but I will take note of it next time I go in and listen to them. Hopefully will reach the same conclusion around sound quality as I really need a nice set of over ears and Sennheiser, Sony aren't quite there with sound quality.

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #3,560 of 5,212

I'm sure by most standards px8 is a better HP, but that doesn't mean they meet your 'sound preference.'

Being able to appreciate afforable gear without bias is the biggest gift in this hobby.

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #3,561 of 5,212

When I can I'll go back in with the B&W app installed so I can play around with EQ settings and see if it makes a big difference, but I expected these to be better out of the box. I would go back and use the B&W app with them. I haven't heard the Elite 75T, but its about the only Jabra TW I haven't heard. Many of the True Wireless models i've heard from them are pretty good for what they are, really good in some cases, and they respond well to EQ. The jabra models I have heard are nowhere near the PX8 in sound quality.
I'm really starting to like some things about the PX8, but I'm also debating whether or not they are worth the cost to me. i've got the MW75 on its way so looking forward to trying it out.

Mar 13, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #3,563 of 5,212
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the MW75 and how it compares to the PX8.
I'll definitely post about it, looking forward to this shootout between the H95, PX8 and MW75.

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #3,564 of 5,212
I'll definitely post about it, looking forward to this shootout between the H95, PX8 and MW75.
Today I had some time to kill in the B&O shop at Copenhagen Airport.
Spent a good half hour fondling and listening to H95 and chatting with the lads in the store. My impressions, relative to the PX8 I had with me:
- very nice finish and build quality but IMO not quite up there with PX8. The swivel arms on the demo units (they had many) were a bit squeeky and didnt feel as solid as the PX8. Headband underside padding not leather so it will absorb whatever you have in your hair. Otherwise still one of the best built and comfiest cans out there.
- controls super nice with the ”dimmer wheels”.
- ANC very adequate but based on my quick comparison in the store with background charter not quite as good as PX8. Probably good enough for flights anyway.
- Sound Q: A much, much brighter tuning which I am sure will appear to a lot of people. Nice and crisp treble. PX8 sounds dark in comparison. More sub bass, but not as controlled mid bass and IMO not as fat and warm as PX8 in the mid range. Overall I would probably be happy with the sound of these if I had to use them as my daily driver. The H95 are very, very nice looking in brown leather, a color scheme I would have wanted on PX8…

Interestingly the B&O sales clerk tried my PX8 and agreed with me on most of my statements above :)

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #3,565 of 5,212
Today I had some time to kill in the B&O shop at Copenhagen Airport.
Spent a good half hour fondling and listening to H95 and chatting with the lads in the store. My impressions, relative to the PX8 I had with me:
- very nice finish and build quality but IMO not quite up there with PX8. The swivel arms on the demo units (they had many) were a bit squeeky and didnt feel as solid as the PX8. Headband underside padding not leather so it will absorb whatever you have in your hair. Otherwise still one of the best built and comfiest cans out there.
- controls super nice with the ”dimmer wheels”.
- ANC very adequate but based on my quick comparison in the store with background charter not quite as good as PX8. Probably good enough for flights anyway.
- Sound Q: A much, much brighter tuning which I am sure will appear to a lot of people. Nice and crisp treble. PX8 sounds dark in comparison. More sub bass, but not as controlled mid bass and IMO not as fat and warm as PX8 in the mid range. Overall I would probably be happy with the sound of these if I had to use them as my daily driver. The H95 are very, very nice looking in brown leather, a color scheme I would have wanted on PX8…

Interestingly the B&O sales clerk tried my PX8 and agreed with me on most of my statements above :)
That's a great way to kill time at the Airport. I wonder if the squeaky arms are a by-product of heavy use from so many passengers. I've had mine for a bit more than 18 months, and fortunately haven't had anything like that. i love the contrast between the PX8 and H95. The default H95 sound is generally more up my alley, but the PX8 has really grown on me. I've alternated between listening with my in app settings and switching to a custom eq i made on my Phone for the PX8 to complement the in app adjustments. I took a smidge out of 63K,then reduced 125K, 250K by a couple DBs, then lowered 500K by 1 DB; while adding a little boost to 1K,2K and 4K.
At times this additional eq is to bright sounding, but it works well for some fusion JAZZ, instrumental and electronic, some prog etc.
I started experimenting with the extra eq Friday night, but it was this morning when I found a sound that preserves most of that mid focused characteristic they have by default.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #3,566 of 5,212
Very much looking forward to trying out this travel combo (PX8 and Pi7 S2) on international flights and a 8 day trip to Malaysia next week. Will report back how things work out, particularly using the Pi7 S2 case as a bluetooth transmitter with the in-flight entertainment system on Turkish Airlines.
Have to say, these were a stellar combo. Used the Pi7 S2s on the first leg of the journey ( Manchester to Istanbul) with the in-flight entertainment system via the case and an airline adapter. Worked very well and the ANC very good at suppression of the engine noise.

On the longer leg, Istanbul-KL, I used the case transmission function with the PX8s, which worked well to meet me enjoy another movie. Then switched to listening to music through the PX8s from my phone. Audio bliss.

Attachments

• 20230313_110700.jpg
    20230313_110700.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230313_120146.jpg
    20230313_120146.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230313_220554.jpg
    20230313_220554.jpg
    746.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #3,567 of 5,212
Have to say, these were a stellar combo. Used the Pi7 S2s on the first leg of the journey ( Manchester to Istanbul) with the in-flight entertainment system via the case and an airline adapter. Worked very well and like youre the ANC very good at suppression of the engine noise.

On the longer leg, Istanbul-KL, I used the case transmission function with the PX8s, which worked well to meet me enjoy another movie. Then switched to listening to music through the PX8s from my phone. Audio bliss.
Loving the contrast between the two photos. Enough fun had with the Pi7s, time to get serious now...

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #3,568 of 5,212
When I read complaints of wrinkles in the headband leather I was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, as mine was starting to resemble a pachyderm. But now it's not just wrinkles... I will probably self-repair with a spudger and maybe a touch of glue, but it's worth noticing that, apparently by design, it's held in by the youthfulness of the leather alone!

PXL_20230314_160758138.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #3,569 of 5,212
When I read complaints of wrinkles in the headband leather I was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, as mine was starting to resemble a pachyderm. But now it's not just wrinkles... I will probably self-repair with a spudger and maybe a touch of glue, but it's worth noticing that, apparently by design, it's held in by the youthfulness of the leather alone!

PXL_20230314_160758138.jpg sefl-repair
Wow. That is something I would expect from a ten year old headphone.
Clear warranty case.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #3,570 of 5,212

sefl-repair
Admittedly I know very little about headphones, but my shoe obsession qualifies me to comment on leather and I've had concerns about it from the off. Comfortable for sure but longevity wise it's just not an appropriate material for a headband. I don't mean leather in general but this overly thin, nappa leather.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back