Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Mar 15, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #3,586 of 5,215
I owning the H95 for 17 months (then I selling this and buying the 5909) and never "squeaky arms" in all that time, and I reading too all of the H95 thread until today and not one single person mentioning this 'problem' after 2,5 years.
Same. I've owned multiple H95s (Black, Blue, and now Grey), never seen or heard of squeaky arms. Maybe that was a floor unit that has seen much abuse.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #3,587 of 5,215
Well it looks like @cresny had real issues but I had the same kind of headband on previous headphones (including P7w) for many years and never really had issues. Not sure if the one in the pictures was put to heavy use in e.g. a gym or so?
No gym but definitely some pressure put on the headband lying down in bed, probably to avert the "fall-open" nature of the swivel design.

The build defect to me is just the seams. There is no adhesive to keep the leather in place, and it is so supple that it will eventually work its way out whatever clamping is there. The leather itself seems pretty durable.

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #3,588 of 5,215
Same. I've owned multiple H95s (Black, Blue, and now Grey), never seen or heard of squeaky arms. Maybe that was a floor unit that has seen much abuse.
Strange. The B&O store had at least five demo units out, all with varying degrees of squeekiness. I cant remember this from my first encounter with H95 a year ago, so maybe they changed something in the materials?
Anyway this would not be a deal breaker and I would still classify H95 as one of the absolute top headphones based on look and feel. My comment was just to state that I think PX8 feels a tad more solid.

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #3,589 of 5,215
No gym but definitely some pressure put on the headband lying down in bed, probably to avert the "fall-open" nature of the swivel design.

The build defect to me is just the seams. There is no adhesive to keep the leather in place, and it is so supple that it will eventually work its way out whatever clamping is there. The leather itself seems pretty durable.
It looks like maybe there is adhesive but that it's failed either way it would be nice to see this stiched rather than glued anyway. Like I've said previously, decent materials but still slapped together in a Chinese factory.

Mar 15, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #3,590 of 5,215
I wanted to report back after some time with the PX8.
The bottom line is I absolutely love the leather, weight, and sound of these headphones. They are also very comfortable, the volume adjustment with pressing the volume once is nice and gentle. There is no sudden volume boost.

I was on a plane today and the noise canceling was excellent. Interesting however is depending on the position of your head on the plane, some positions make the noise of the plane more prominent than others.

Now for the one concern, it does not charge over 82%. I plugged it I to a laptop and the blinking green light when it stayed a solid green was at 82%. I know some people mentioned this issue as well. Not sure if I use the male plug if it would make a difference. Should I return them and get a new pair or is there a fix?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #3,591 of 5,215
I wanted to report back after some time with the PX8.
The bottom line is I absolutely love the leather, weight, and sound of these headphones. They are also very comfortable, the gentle volume adjustment on one push of the volume button is great.

I was on a plane today and the noise canceling was excellent. Interesting however is depending on the position of your head on the plane, some positions make the noise of the plane more prominent than others.

Now for the one concern, it does it seem to charge over 82%. I plugged it I to a laptop and the blinking green light stayed a solid green and it was at 82%. I know some people mentioned this issue as well. Not sure if I use the male plug if it would make a difference. She I return them and get a new pair or is there a fix?
The million dollar question. Many have this issue in varying degrees and have not found a fix per se. I returned mine personally but this is your decision. Are they within their 30 day return period?

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #3,594 of 5,215
When I read complaints of wrinkles in the headband leather I was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, as mine was starting to resemble a pachyderm. But now it's not just wrinkles... I will probably self-repair with a spudger and maybe a touch of glue, but it's worth noticing that, apparently by design, it's held in by the youthfulness of the leather alone!

PXL_20230314_160758138.jpg sefl-repair
Looking at this again I can't help but feel like you may have bent something when lying on them. I think you're right that it's not glued but rather is clamped together which is fine as long as the shape doesn't become distorted.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #3,596 of 5,215
Not really bent but probably distorted somehow. I do not baby them.
This is why on my comparison I argued that the Bathys are in many ways better built than the PX8. Ok the PX8 have some super thick cast aluminium in certain places but in terms of longevity this is overkill. Areas like the leather on the headband are way more likely to fail if not manufactured properly. Have a look at the same area on my Bathys - clearly reverse stitched and so even if the headband distorts it won't separate. For me doing the hidden yet important things right is what shows build quality, not having thick metal in areas on show where it's not really required.

Attachments

• 20230316_070401.jpg
    20230316_070401.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #3,598 of 5,215
I don't think it matters where these were made. This soft, thin leather is a rather difficult material to work with, and perhaps expensive as well, but it looks like B&W may have literally cut one too many corners here. A little more material and it could have been sewn fully around the band.
This is kind of my point. When manufacturing is outsourced this is always as a cost cutting exercise. Further corner cutting then becomes inevitable in my view. There are so many examples of this in practice which is why brands that still manufacture in their country of origin market this with such pride. I have made in England and made in Eastern Europe Barbour jackets for example. Barbour claim to have strict quality control but the difference in quality is night and day. There are obviously exceptions to this rule though such as Angelo's example of Apple which is valid of course.

This isn't a dig at B&W by the way, but more of a general criticism of manufacturing quality and product longevity in general.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #3,599 of 5,215
This is kind of my point. When manufacturing is outsourced this is always as a cost cutting exercise. Further corner cutting then becomes inevitable in my view. There are so many examples of this in practice which is why brands that still manufacture in their country of origin market this with such pride. I have made in England and made in Eastern Europe Barbour jackets for example. Barbour claim to have strict quality control but the difference in quality is night and day. There are obviously exceptions to this rule though such as Angelo's example of Apple which is valid of course.

This isn't a dig at B&W by the way, but more of a general criticism of manufacturing quality and product longevity in general.
I actually meant what I said to be a dig at B&W. From my experience over the years with their support, I'm guessing they are managed by Ebenezer Scrooge's ill tempered great-grand-nephew. I still like their products but I definitely will cast a wary eye on anything I buy from them in the future.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #3,600 of 5,215
I actually meant what I said to be a dig at B&W. From my experience over the years with their support, I'm guessing they are managed by Ebenezer Scrooge's ill tempered great-grand-nephew. I still like their products but I definitely will cast a wary eye on anything I buy from them in the future.
I really don't know why this would come as a surprise. B&W is not the same company founded in England all those years ago. In fact, Sound United that bought them out are not even the same company that they started out as. Modern capitalism sadly but profit is the name of the game these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back