Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #3,571 of 5,215
Admittedly I know very little about headphones, but my shoe obsession qualifies me to comment on leather and I've had concerns about it from the off. Comfortable for sure but longevity wise it's just not an appropriate material for a headband. I don't mean leather in general but this overly thin, nappa leather.
Well it looks like @cresny had real issues but I had the same kind of headband on previous headphones (including P7w) for many years and never really had issues. Not sure if the one in the pictures was put to heavy use in e.g. a gym or so?

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #3,572 of 5,215
When I read complaints of wrinkles in the headband leather I was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, as mine was starting to resemble a pachyderm. But now it's not just wrinkles... I will probably self-repair with a spudger and maybe a touch of glue, but it's worth noticing that, apparently by design, it's held in by the youthfulness of the leather alone!

sefl-repair
I was gonna talk about this last night. i just noticed yesterday how the underside of the headband was getting wrinkled, and i've not even had them a week. Meanwhile my Shure Aonic 50, which i've had for about 3 years and used quite a bit has no sign of that at all. I had the thought yesterday, maybe I can just smooth it out after using it. That did seem to help it return to form, but now after your post,i'm having doubts about that.
edit, typos

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #3,573 of 5,215
I was gonna talk about this last night. i just noticed yesterday how the underside of the headband was getting wrinkled, and i've not even had them a week. Meanwhile my Shure Aonic 50, which i've had for about 3 years and used quite a bit has no sign of that at all. I had the thought yesterday, maybe I can just smooth it out after using it. That did seem to help it return to form, but now after opost,i'm having doubts about that.
I think the wrinkles are not the issue. The super smooth and thin nappa leather might be the real problem.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #3,575 of 5,215
I have a feeling B&W'S response may read a lot like this...
Well lets hope not. I had a pair of P7s that I had for years beyond the warranty period and there was a tiny bit of glue residue leaking from between the ear pad and the driver housing. It was not visible unless I took off the pad, and it didnt really affect the sound. B&W replaced with no charge. Excellent customer service. Although this was a few years ago.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #3,576 of 5,215
Well lets hope not. I had a pair of P7s that I had for years beyond the warranty period and there was a tiny bit of glue residue leaking from between the ear pad and the driver housing. It was not visible unless I took off the pad, and it didnt really affect the sound. B&W replaced with no charge. Excellent customer service. Although this was a few years ago.
Yeah I'm sure this in an extreme example of failure. They should replace with no quarms whatsoever. Mine still look fine to be fair - not even creasing really. Seems like a bit of a crap-shoot.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #3,577 of 5,215
I think the wrinkles are not the issue. The super smooth and thin nappa leather might be the real problem.
Yeah i think you're right. This gives me pause about keeping the PX8. just the unknown aspect of how well it will hold up long term.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #3,578 of 5,215
Yeah i think you're right. This gives me pause about keeping the PX8. just the unknown aspect of how well it will hold up long term.
PX8 are expensive but if youre worried about the build and overall sturdiness of these you will have a hard time finding anything better. Most other headphones, regardless of price bracket, have way more plastic and weak spots in the construction that will fail long before the leather on PX8 becomes an issue. In the normal case - looks like cresny got lambskin nappa from a very thin-skinned little lamb... :)

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #3,579 of 5,215
This kind of failure would likely happen within warranty, they're defective. I wouldn't worry. My view on the leather remains though - I'd take a thicker less comfortable leather any day.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #3,580 of 5,215
PX8 are expensive but if youre worried about the build and overall sturdiness of these you will have a hard time finding anything better. Most other headphones, regardless of price bracket, have way more plastic and weak spots in the construction that will fail long before the leather on PX8 becomes an issue. In the normal case - looks like cresny got lambskin nappa from a very thin-skinned little lamb... :)
The runt of the litter 🤣

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #3,581 of 5,215
I was gonna talk about this last night. i just noticed yesterday how the underside of the headband was getting wrinkled, and i've not even had them a week. Meanwhile my Shure Aonic 50, which i've had for about 3 years and used quite a bit has no sign of that at all. I had the thought yesterday, maybe I can just smooth it out after using it. That did seem to help it return to form, but now after your post,i'm having doubts about that.
edit, typos
Similar experience here with the Aonic 50s...they are really great in terms of build quality. I have had mine for 2 years and no real sign of significant wear either. Still use mine almost every day and am very happy with them even after getting the Px8. However, they are a bit bulky and ANC is nonexistent so i stopped using them for travel and commuting and got the Px7 S2 for that.

Time have changed...my Px8s are supposedly on their way back to me after opening a case with B&W a month ago for the battery issue (Feb 16). They actually had them for two weeks so far. Hopefully it is a new pair. I have not received any communications from them for over 2 weeks now and the only reason I know something is on its way back to me is because I have alerts set up with FedEx and they send me an email everytime I have a package coming (just got one saying I have a package scheduled for delivery from United Radio). It is currently at the East Syracuse, NY where I originally sent my defective Px8. I have done 3 warranty replacements with B&W now in as many years (2x for the original PI7s and one now for Px8) and I would not say they have been the easiest of experiences.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #3,582 of 5,215

I meant to say concerned about the napa leather. The rest of the headphone i'm not worried about holding up at all. i love the build.
This kind of failure would likely happen within warranty, they're defective. I wouldn't worry. My view on the leather remains though - I'd take a thicker less comfortable leather any day.
Good to know. i'll just keep paying attention to it and send them in for warranty if needed.
i agree, i'd take a better leather as well.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #3,583 of 5,215
That's a great way to kill time at the Airport. I wonder if the squeaky arms are a by-product of heavy use from so many passengers. I've had mine [ H95] for a bit more than 18 months, and fortunately haven't had anything like that.

I owning the H95 for 17 months (then I selling this and buying the 5909) and never "squeaky arms" in all that time, and I reading too all of the H95 thread until today and not one single person mentioning this 'problem' after 2,5 years.

Mar 15, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #3,584 of 5,215
Similar experience here with the Aonic 50s...they are really great in terms of build quality. I have had mine for 2 years and no real sign of significant wear either. Still use mine almost every day and am very happy with them even after getting the Px8. However, they are a bit bulky and ANC is nonexistent so i stopped using them for travel and commuting and got the Px7 S2 for that.

Time have changed...my Px8s are supposedly on their way back to me after opening a case with B&W a month ago for the battery issue (Feb 16). They actually had them for two weeks so far. Hopefully it is a new pair. I have not received any communications from them for over 2 weeks now and the only reason I know something is on its way back to me is because I have alerts set up with FedEx and they send me an email everytime I have a package coming (just got one saying I have a package scheduled for delivery from United Radio). It is currently at the East Syracuse, NY where I originally sent my defective Px8. I have done 3 warranty replacements with B&W now in as many years (2x for the original PI7s and one now for Px8) and I would not say they have been the easiest of experiences.
About the Aonic 50s, Awesome! Such a great headphone. yeah I tried traveling with them once not long after i got them, when I ventured out for some time away from the house, i'd gotten them just a few weeks after Covid was becoming a thing. Then tried again last year, and decided I'd probably never travel with the Aonic 50 again. not just because of poor ANC, but also the bulkyness of them.
Good luck on your RMA for the PX8, hopefully they don't just send the same pair back and say there is no issue. I read about that happening somewhere, maybe this thread, or readit, I can't remember where for sure.
How long had you had them prior to the battery issues?
I owning the H95 for 17 months (then I selling this and buying the 5909) and never "squeaky arms" in all that time, and I reading too all of the H95 thread until today and not one single person mentioning this 'problem' after 2,5 years.
I hadn't heard of this either, that probably means its rare when it happens which is definitely a good thing.

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #3,585 of 5,215
About the Aonic 50s, Awesome! Such a great headphone. yeah I tried traveling with them once not long after i got them, when I ventured out for some time away from the house, i'd gotten them just a few weeks after Covid was becoming a thing. Then tried again last year, and decided I'd probably never travel with the Aonic 50 again. not just because of poor ANC, but also the bulkyness of them.
Good luck on your RMA for the PX8, hopefully they don't just send the same pair back and say there is no issue. I read about that happening somewhere, maybe this thread, or readit, I can't remember where for sure.
How long had you had them prior to the battery issues?
Thanks. Had them for about 2 1/2 months before I noticed the issue. They were delivered first week of December 2022 and I reached out to B&W support on February 16, 2023. Could have happened before and I just didn't notice since I don't check the battery every day. Tested it for a few days (using different adapters, cables and sources) before reaching out to B&W as well. I do miss them now that I haven't had them for a few weeks though. Will report back once I get them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back