Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 29, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #2,356 of 5,137
One aspect I don't see mentioned much is how good the PX8 is for phone calls and tele-meetings. I usually listen to music using the phone on a stand but obviously use the computer for meetings. As with telephone calls, the px8 automatically switches into hear through mode when engaged in a meeting, which I guess is the same thing as "side-tone", and it's natural sounding and a very nice touch. Also, the mics are very good so you are not torturing the other participants. The multi-point of course makes all of this possible. That, battery life, and their all-day comfort are making my TWS very lonely these days.

Nov 29, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #2,357 of 5,137
I have a question. I have an IBasso DX300 DAP and can connect to the PX8's via the 3.5mm jack. Can you also connect wired to IBasso's USB -C port and play music? I have been unsuccessful trying to do this.

Nov 29, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #2,358 of 5,137
I have a question. I have an IBasso DX300 DAP and can connect to the PX8's via the 3.5mm jack. Can you also connect wired to IBasso's USB -C port and play music? I have been unsuccessful trying to do this.
Dont know, but why would you? The internal Dac of the PX8 would come in play regardless.

Nov 29, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #2,360 of 5,137
Just to check out audio quality on USB-C. I plan to use it wireless anyway for the most part.
Well you could as well plug it straight to a computer or iPad if just for testing purposes.

I must say that I think the AAC implementation on Px8 is very good, I rarely bother with plugging them in over USB.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #2,365 of 5,137
I contacted B&W about that today and, for myself, both good news and bad news.

First the bad: I bought my px8s off craigslist (from a reviewer, $500). I foolishly had neglected to first read the warranty info on the B&W site, and it clearly states I must have a receipt from an authorized dealer, or no warranty service. So, word to the wise, make certain that's in place if buying second-hand.

Now for the good news: I think I fixed it. The way the battery problem manifests is it will quickly go to 100% with a solid green light, and stop charging, then rapidly deplete when used, because it was a phantom charge. So, still smarting from a self-inflicted hard face-palm after the support call, I decided not to take 100% for an answer, and repeatedly pulled and pushed the charging cable back in until it showed the real percentage, 23% or something. I did this a few more times and it went up a couple of pct before jumping back to solid green . Long story short, I found that if I used them for a time, even just a few minutes, followed by a charge, they would work their way up a bit more before stopping solid green. Over the course of my work day I got them to over 90%, and since then they've been discharging normally at the 30 hour rate. Also, the diminished amplification problem went away shortly after I started this charging game. My hope is that I somehow reconditioned the battery it will be back to normal, but hey I can live with this! Gives me something to do during meetings.

That's great man! Mine drained really fast yesterday and after an "all night" charge they are at 33%....but at least draining normally, heh.

I'll play around with that too, but I'm lucky to be local to audio advice and they said they'll take care of me when they get more stock in.

I don't want to return them and be without until the restock so I'll be messing around with that today, thanks for posting!

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #2,366 of 5,137
That's great man! Mine drained really fast yesterday and after an "all night" charge they are at 33%....but at least draining normally, heh.

I'll play around with that too, but I'm lucky to be local to audio advice and they said they'll take care of me when they get more stock in.

I don't want to return them and be without until the restock so I'll be messing around with that today, thanks for posting!

Is yours from the B&W site?

Nov 29, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #2,368 of 5,137

Cool, please post back here with any findings, I'm actually relating the info back to B&W. Just remember, you need to listen in bursts between charges to "push the ceiling" back up. I have a desk PD charger, so I was unplugging and plugging on that end to make it easy on the phones. Mine seem to be doing well after their day of charge therapy.

Nov 29, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #2,370 of 5,137
Man, this is such a PITA issue man. I'm second guessing whether I should consider purchasing this now or not...
Why? Because 2 owners reported battery issues?
Take a look in some other threads (Bathys etc) and youll see that most new products have some issues. The important thing is that you buy with warranty from a solid dealer.

I would rather refrain from buying it due to finicky wear sensors which seem to be a design flaw rather than an isolated problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back