Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 28, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #2,341 of 5,138
Yeah that’s about it. I love dynamics and am enjoying bathys / app2 combo. But for 450€ mw75 was looking at me blinking an eye. And just trying to see if it’s worth trying them specially when they are offering return until 15th January… damn this hobby….

oh and btw I had px8 but the better resolution, detail, revealing sound and the kind of energy the bathys deliver I preferred bathys. not That px8 is not to my liking but just love the slam drum on bathys And overall better detail…

if mw75 has more detail and are more revealing then px8 I should try them, do they @Maukey ? Thank you!
yeah, not gonna lie the 25% off coupon I saw in my inbox this morning for the MW75 gave me pause

Nov 28, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #2,342 of 5,138
Yeah that’s about it. I love dynamics and am enjoying bathys / app2 combo. But for 450€ mw75 was looking at me blinking an eye. And just trying to see if it’s worth trying them specially when they are offering return until 15th January… damn this hobby….

oh and btw I had px8 but the better resolution, detail, revealing sound and the kind of energy the bathys deliver I preferred bathys. not That px8 is not to my liking but just love the slam drum on bathys And overall better detail…

if mw75 has more detail and are more revealing then px8 I should try them, do they @Maukey ? Thank you!
No they are not necessarily more revealing than the PX8, they have more detail in the upper range of the spectrum if that makes sense. Sounds that occupy the upper part of the spectrum are clearer and more audible through the MW75. I think the PX8 has slightly better resolution overall, and a more prominent/musical midrange. The bass is comparable except the MW75 has a slightly better sub bass response. Because of the MW75's treble, they don't sound as warm as the PX8. The PX8 can be easier to listen to at higher volumes with more sibilant recordings. I give the slight edge in tonality to the MW75.

I would say pick up the MW75's and try them if your funds will allow. As you stated, you can always return them if they're not to your liking. I think either the MW75 or the PX8 are great compliments to the Bathys as they're both more fun sound oriented. It's all in the presentation you prefer. I actually think both the PX8 and MW75 are in the same class of sound quality but I give the slight edge overall to the PX8 because of it's slightly, and I mean slightly bigger sound stage and because of the slightly better resolution. I do enjoy the MW75 as a fun sound more than the PX8 though.

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #2,343 of 5,138
No advice unfortunately, but you're not alone. Myself and at least one other poster are having battery issues too.
I contacted B&W about that today and, for myself, both good news and bad news.

First the bad: I bought my px8s off craigslist (from a reviewer, $500). I foolishly had neglected to first read the warranty info on the B&W site, and it clearly states I must have a receipt from an authorized dealer, or no warranty service. So, word to the wise, make certain that's in place if buying second-hand.

Now for the good news: I think I fixed it. The way the battery problem manifests is it will quickly go to 100% with a solid green light, and stop charging, then rapidly deplete when used, because it was a phantom charge. So, still smarting from a self-inflicted hard face-palm after the support call, I decided not to take 100% for an answer, and repeatedly pulled and pushed the charging cable back in until it showed the real percentage, 23% or something. I did this a few more times and it went up a couple of pct before jumping back to solid green . Long story short, I found that if I used them for a time, even just a few minutes, followed by a charge, they would work their way up a bit more before stopping solid green. Over the course of my work day I got them to over 90%, and since then they've been discharging normally at the 30 hour rate. Also, the diminished amplification problem went away shortly after I started this charging game. My hope is that I somehow reconditioned the battery it will be back to normal, but hey I can live with this! Gives me something to do during meetings.

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #2,344 of 5,138
I contacted B&W about that today and, for myself, both good news and bad news.

First the bad: I bought my px8s off craigslist (from a reviewer, $500). I foolishly had neglected to first read the warranty info on the B&W site, and it clearly states I must have a receipt from an authorized dealer, or no warranty service. So, word to the wise, make certain that's in place if buying second-hand.

Now for the good news: I think I fixed it. The way the battery problem manifests is it will quickly go to 100% with a solid green light, and stop charging, then rapidly deplete when used, because it was a phantom charge. So, still smarting from a self-inflicted hard face-palm after the support call, I decided not to take 100% for an answer, and repeatedly pulled and pushed the charging cable back in until it showed the real percentage, 23% or something. I did this a few more times and it went up a couple of pct before jumping back to solid green . Long story short, I found that if I used them for a time, even just a few minutes, followed by a charge, they would work their way up a bit more before stopping solid green. Over the course of my work day I got them to over 90%, and since then they've been discharging normally at the 30 hour rate. Also, the diminished amplification problem went away shortly after I started this charging game. My hope is that I somehow reconditioned the battery it will be back to normal, but hey I can live with this! Gives me something to do during meetings.
Might also try several different cables?

Nov 29, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #2,346 of 5,138
They do a solid job for me on london underground/overground. Even with medium ANC in big over ears like this the passive isolation is good, so combined I find it ample.
I agree. Very good on the London Underground, even the horrible screechy jubilee line near Canary Wharf!

Nov 29, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #2,347 of 5,138
Hey guys, so I had the chance to listen to these cans again with fresh ears and I'm really digging them. Once I sell my Stellias, I'm thinking of purchasing these to be my everyday on the go Bluetooth headphones to use for commuting. Do you think the ANC on these headphones will be able to block train nose? I have the 5909s currently which do a good enough job of that, so I'm wondering if the PX8's are the same.
I did try the 5909 just briefly but remember the ANC to be less effective than PX8, by a bit actually. It may depend on what seal youre getting but cups are plush and do a good job also with passive isolation. I also have Bathys and find ANC on PX8 to be slightly better in most frequencies.

PX8 are not bad at blocking low frequencies, but higher frequencies tend to slip through more than on the ANC kings from Sony and Bose. Still I would say it is effective enough for most commutes, especially with some music playing.

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #2,348 of 5,138
So I have been reading both the Bathys and the PX8 thread for weeks now and I am still torn.
I will find it difficult to audition both I would imagine so trying to narrow it down a bit.

They will be used exclusively with my iPhone and with Tidal .
ANC is not a huge factor as it appears they are similar in this area.

To give an idea of the sound I like I have the Abyss 1266C and I love the sound these have . The bass is phenomenal. I know I will get nowhere near this level of sound quality , but of the two headphones which one do you think gets nearer to that sound signature ?

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #2,349 of 5,138
So I have been reading both the Bathys and the PX8 thread for weeks now and I am still torn.
I will find it difficult to audition both I would imagine so trying to narrow it down a bit.

They will be used exclusively with my iPhone and with Tidal .
ANC is not a huge factor as it appears they are similar in this area.

To give an idea of the sound I like I have the Abyss 1266C and I love the sound these have . The bass is phenomenal. I know I will get nowhere near this level of sound quality , but of the two headphones which one do you think gets nearer to that sound signature ?
I have both Bathys and PX8 but have not listened to the Abyss for a long time. Here are my 2 cents…
I think it all comes down to how you like your:
- soundstage: Bathys=kinda wide, PX8=intimate and sounding more like sound is coming in front of you
- mids: PX8 more forward and also warmer with nice reproduction of vocals
- highs: PX8 smoother than Bathys, which feels more detailed.
- bass is good on both of these and can be eq:d to your liking.
- fit: Bathys larger cups but less padded headband. I think for most heads and ears PX8 might be slightly more comfortable long term, but they are both good.
- build and looks: PX8 feels more expensive and is less attention grabbing. Also a little smaller visually on the head so if you care about looks on your head this would be my preference.
- ANC: better on PX8, by a bit actually.

I enjoy both of these but think the overall tuning and timbre of PX8 is a better fit to what I listen to the most (rock like Zeppelin, 60’s/70’s recordings like Skynyrd or female pop vocalists like Lana del Rey). For classical I reach for Bathys. I think maybe Bathys are better for softer music played at low volume, PX8 really shines with higher volume and more energetic beats.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,351 of 5,138
yup, did. Multiple PD units as well as multiple 5v cables. Not it. Just as well, as that would drive me crazy in a different way :)
Eurgh, don't get me started on the mess that is USB-C cables and power delivery methods. It's got to be one of the worst 'standards' created. :rolling_eyes:

FWIW I've not seen any charging or battery issues with my PX8 007. One has to wonder though whether there is a bad batch out there that a few people seem to have similar issues?

Nov 29, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #2,352 of 5,138
I have both Bathys and PX8 but have not listened to the Abyss for a long time. Here are my 2 cents…
I think it all comes down to how you like your:
- soundstage: Bathys=kinda wide, PX8=intimate and sounding more like sound is coming in front of you
- mids: PX8 more forward and also warmer with nice reproduction of vocals
- highs: PX8 smoother than Bathys, which feels more detailed.
- bass is good on both of these and can be eq:d to your liking.
- fit: Bathys larger cups but less padded headband. I think for most heads and ears PX8 might be slightly more comfortable long term, but they are both good.
- build and looks: PX8 feels more expensive and is less attention grabbing. Also a little smaller visually on the head so if you care about looks on your head this would be my preference.
- ANC: better on PX8, by a bit actually.

I enjoy both of these but think the overall tuning and timbre of PX8 is a better fit to what I listen to the most (rock like Zeppelin, 60’s/70’s recordings like Skynyrd or female pop vocalists like Lana del Rey). For classical I reach for Bathys. I think maybe Bathys are better for softer music played at low volume, PX8 really shines with higher volume and more energetic beats.
Thank you for your detailed reply, this is very useful. I think I was leaning towrads the PX8 and this has more or less confirmed it for me.

I have my home rig for serious listening so they will only be used whilst walking or doing other garden and household chores so they do not need to be used for critical listening.
At present I have the Sony XM2 and I enjoy them ( I like the bass and EQ the treble up ) so am sure the PX8 will be a big step up.
I never listen to classical. I am clocking on a bit :relaxed: but still love a lot of the new music, from Stormzy, Giggs, AJ Tracey all fo that stuff and Indie, Rock and vocals too.
I still listen to a lot of the new Dance stuff too.....I think I am a tad weird for my age :relaxed:
Thanks again for the post.

Nov 29, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #2,353 of 5,138
Thank you for your detailed reply, this is very useful. I think I was leaning towrads the PX8 and this has more or less confirmed it for me.

I have my home rig for serious listening so they will only be used whilst walking or doing other garden and household chores so they do not need to be used for critical listening.
At present I have the Sony XM2 and I enjoy them ( I like the bass and EQ the treble up ) so am sure the PX8 will be a big step up.
I never listen to classical. I am clocking on a bit :relaxed: but still love a lot of the new music, from Stormzy, Giggs, AJ Tracey all fo that stuff and Indie, Rock and vocals too.
I still listen to a lot of the new Dance stuff too.....I think I am a tad weird for my age :relaxed:
Thanks again for the post.
This genre is not really my home turf I must admit, but I got curious and had a quick listen to these three. My god how crappy most of the recordings from Stormzy are. Loudness war, lots of compression in the high end and of course the bass blends into everything. AJ Tracey was a little more listenable but still very ”radio”-sounding.
Think for this I would pick the PX8 over Bathys as the PX8 is a little more forgiving with poor recordings.

And both of these will be miles ahead of the XM2, as can be expected.

Nov 29, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #2,354 of 5,138
This genre is not really my home turf I must admit, but I got curious and had a quick listen to these three. My god how crappy most of the recordings from Stormzy are. Loudness war, lots of compression in the high end and of course the bass blends into everything. AJ Tracey was a little more listenable but still very ”radio”-sounding.
Think for this I would pick the PX8 over Bathys as the PX8 is a little more forgiving with poor recordings.

And both of these will be miles ahead of the XM2, as can be expected.
Yes they are notoriously poor recordings . On my main hifi rig the Grime/Rap bass always bloats and runis it for me.
As a more wider example these are the 6 albums I am currently listening to

Nas - Kings Disease 3
First Aid Kit - Palaomino
Sorrmzy - This is what I need
Phoenix - Alpha Zulu
Arctic Monkeys - The Car
Taylor Swift - Midnights

So I think my musical taste is wide , and I do feel a more forgiving headphone probably suits me.
Again thanks for your posts

Nov 29, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #2,355 of 5,138
Eurgh, don't get me started on the mess that is USB-C cables and power delivery methods. It's got to be one of the worst 'standards' created. :rolling_eyes:

FWIW I've not seen any charging or battery issues with my PX8 007. One has to wonder though whether there is a bad batch out there that a few people seem to have similar issues?
Oh, I don’t have a definite answer on this other than to say some of my power bricks, and some of my USB-C cables would say they are charging my unit and then would not. I found a combination that worked, and I stuck to it. I don’t think it’s a unit. I think it’s how the unit interacts with certain wattage powered bricks and certain powered delivery cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back