Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 28, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #2,326 of 5,136
Yeah I wouldnt read too much into What Hifi reviews. On the other hand I think we can conclude that 95% of the members here would agree that PX8 is neither particularly ”muddy” nor in the same league as Sony XM4/5…
I HATE the xm4s - the xm5s are a slight improvement but both of them absolutely pale in comparison the PX8s. I don’t think they’re muddy at all.

Nov 28, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #2,327 of 5,136
What Hi-Fi also think the XM4 and 5 have amazing sound where to me they sound like someone has put a pillow over my ears.

This is completely true for me. I was completely disappointed when I listened both models for the first time.

I believe there are so many ears like human beings, and lot of people can agree that one model is better than other due to better materials/definition but choosing “the best headphones” maybe is only a nirvana.

This is the only way for me to understand that after so many xm4 & xm5 listened (so no defective pairs) I can’t understand how customers and magazines like whathifi give them 5 stars.

After comparison of “muddy sound” between xm4/xm5 and px8, now I’m really doubting about ordering px8, because I really want clear vocals like I have in my B&O H7.

Between h95 and px8, what of them do you think have more “muddy sound”?

Nov 28, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #2,328 of 5,136
This is completely true for me. I was completely disappointed when I listened both models for the first time.

I believe there are so many ears like human beings, and lot of people can agree that one model is better than other due to better materials/definition but choosing “the best headphones” maybe is only a nirvana.

This is the only way for me to understand that after so many xm4 & xm5 listened (so no defective pairs) I can’t understand how customers and magazines like whathifi give them 5 stars.

After comparison of “muddy sound” between xm4/xm5 and px8, now I’m really doubting about ordering px8, because I really want clear vocals like I have in my B&O H7.

To the extent either of them are “muddy”, H95 would definitely be less so than the PX8. H95 has a more balanced sound sig with more upper mid and treble presence for sure.

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #2,329 of 5,136
I would agree with other posts here in that H95 has ”more” treble.
But I still think PX8 offers more dynamics and detail, much better mids and mid bass. PX8 has what I would call a polite treble, it is not harsch on any volume and together with the forward mids and the intimate soundstage it makes the headphone sound very warm and perhaps almost dark. To me this is a nice tuning for rock and acoustics but not so much for music where you really want the super wide soundstage or resolution of e g an open can.

But if you kind of grew up being taught that a flat Sennheiser or Hifiman open back is ”the right sound (TM)”, well then no B&W headphone is for you. And probably not the H95 either.

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #2,330 of 5,136
Is anyone having a battery issue? Have had the PX8 for about a month and all has been fine— wonderful, actually. But for the past several days, the battery drains down super fast… out of power in about six hours. Prior they would exceed the stated duration. User error? Did I do something? Anyway, any advice would be appreciated before I call B&W for help. Thanks!

No advice unfortunately, but you're not alone. Myself and at least one other poster are having battery issues too.

Nov 28, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #2,331 of 5,136
You may be right, the PX8 gives me another signature so that is part of the appeal.

The musician/audiophile thing is interesting. Not speaking for myself but really talented, skilled musicians, they are very easily able to pick a song apart by ear, hear the individual notes and so on. I think that adds an interesting element when analysing a headphone as they often have some strong reference points. Perhaps it does introduce some bias too but I'd lean to it providing a more balanced overall picture. Active listening is a skill for sure and musicians have that ability in buckets, and it's super useful when evaluating a headphone.

Musicians use all those terms some audiophiles hate though. They describe the sound they hear in flowery terms, and they need to because how else can you communicate what the various parts of your chain do to the signal. FX and so on really do alter a guitar's sound, it's still the same note, but it has a totally different character with some Chorus slapped on, or whatever. It's the same with headphones really, I see them as modifying the original signal and introducing a 'vibe'.
No question that talented/skilled musicians can pick apart songs and it can be helpful and useful in headphone evaluations. At the same time, my point stands that we can still be bias based on our experience and preferences.

Take your wife for example. You say she likes the PX8, and you used her credentials as a musician and singer to validate her preferring the PX8 to the Bathys, an overall more analytical, revealing headphone. The only logical reason in my mind that a musician or singer that values reference sound can prefer a less analytical headphone, the ultimate in hearing clearly all of the sounds, is if they have some sort of bias to the way the more colored headphone is presenting the music to them. Unless you only prefer reference headphones, you have to have some bias. At least that's how I view it.

I myself have some bias and I'm open and honest about it. It doesn't mean that I can't recognize headphones that are more revealing and accurate, but I tend to grab my more colored headphones most. As of late, my M&D MW75 has been getting the most play from my collection. Why? It has deep punchy bass, slightly accented highs, and a wonderful tone similar to the 5909. Drums and bass sound excellent through them. Drums have weight and the cymbals are tonally exciting and aren't as much in the background like they are through the PX8. Both the PX8 and MW75 are what I consider fun headphones, but as a drummer, I prefer the MW75. If I was a piano or horn player, I may prefer the PX8 because of its more highlighted, and musical midrange response.

Nov 28, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #2,333 of 5,136
Yeah it's always possible - unit variation is a thing! Now... the one I tested definitely wasn't defective or anything like that, but across most headphones you can expect some variance depending on manufacturer tolerances. And yeah if I get another unit in I'll definitely measure and post the results. I expect that'll happen at some point.
Have you had the opportunity to test a normal pair without the internal silk screening on the mesh in front of the drivers? From pictures it looks like the silk screening isn't as open as the mesh (haven't seen the 007 version in person).

Nov 28, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #2,334 of 5,136
No question that talented/skilled musicians can pick apart songs and it can be helpful and useful in headphone evaluations. At the same time, my point stands that we can still be bias based on our experience and preferences.

Take your wife for example. You say she likes the PX8, and you used her credentials as a musician and singer to validate her preferring the PX8 to the Bathys, an overall more analytical, revealing headphone. The only logical reason in my mind that a musician or singer that values reference sound can prefer a less analytical headphone, the ultimate in hearing clearly all of the sounds, is if they have some sort of bias to the way the more colored headphone is presenting the music to them. Unless you only prefer reference headphones, you have to have some bias. At least that's how I view it.

I myself have some bias and I'm open and honest about it. It doesn't mean that I can't recognize headphones that are more revealing and accurate, but I tend to grab my more colored headphones most. As of late, my M&D MW75 has been getting the most play from my collection. Why? It has deep punchy bass, slightly accented highs, and a wonderful tone similar to the 5909. Drums and bass sound excellent through them. Drums have weight and the cymbals are tonally exciting and aren't as much in the background like they are through the PX8. Both the PX8 and MW75 are what I consider fun headphones, but as a drummer, I prefer the MW75. If I was a piano or horn player, I may prefer the PX8 because of its more highlighted, and musical midrange response.
i know I’m a bit offtopic but can you express differences between mw75 and bathys?

Nov 28, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #2,335 of 5,136
Hey guys, so I had the chance to listen to these cans again with fresh ears and I'm really digging them. Once I sell my Stellias, I'm thinking of purchasing these to be my everyday on the go Bluetooth headphones to use for commuting. Do you think the ANC on these headphones will be able to block train nose? I have the 5909s currently which do a good enough job of that, so I'm wondering if the PX8's are the same.

Nov 28, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #2,336 of 5,136
Rakuten (Ebates) has 20% cash back at B&W for those who were looking for a deal on the Px8. I've got one on the way. Thanks @erockg for the tip and enabling me...

Nov 28, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #2,337 of 5,136
Hey guys, so I had the chance to listen to these cans again with fresh ears and I'm really digging them. Once I sell my Stellias, I'm thinking of purchasing these to be my everyday on the go Bluetooth headphones to use for commuting. Do you think the ANC on these headphones will be able to block train nose? I have the 5909s currently which do a good enough job of that, so I'm wondering if the PX8's are the same.
They do a solid job for me on london underground/overground. Even with medium ANC in big over ears like this the passive isolation is good, so combined I find it ample.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #2,338 of 5,136

They do a solid job for me on london underground/overground. Even with medium ANC in big over ears like this the passive isolation is good, so combined I find it ample.
Don't have my Px8s yet but I have been using my Px7 S2 for commuting (I live in NY) and recently did a transcontinental trip (JFK to PSP with a layover each way) and the Px7 S2 has been good enough for me in all situations. I assume the Px8 will perform the same in terms of ANC, which I will be very happy with. The Px7 S2 blocked out the low end noise effectively on the plane. They are not Bose ANC (my wife uses the QC35 II) but way better than my Aonic 50.

Nov 28, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #2,339 of 5,136
i know I’m a bit offtopic but can you express differences between mw75 and bathys?
There's no such thing as off topic in my book :ksc75smile:

I'm not sure if you mean sound quality or overall, so I'll just briefly cover overall.

Bathys
- Better sound quality overall (More resolving, analytical, and versatile). Also has a much bigger sound stage, and although I love the MW75's tone, the Bathys are a step up. It's a more natural sounding headphone overall.
- More comfortable
- Better transparency mode.
- Better app EQ
- Better battery life

MW75
- More fun if you're into bass and treble (Treble can be fatiguing and mildly sibilant at times if you're sensitive)
- More portable in my opinion due to the smaller size and better passive isolation. It's better as a commuter headphone in my opinion.

If I had to choose one I'd choose the Bathys all day. Some people don't mind commuting with them, but if you did, it's still worth it in my book to get the Bathys and pick up some AirPods Pro 2 or Bose QuietComfort Earbuds 2 for commuting.

I love the MW75 for its fun, dynamic sound signature, but if you're sensitive to treble, the PX8 would be the better option for fun. It's a less fatiguing fun sound with more emphasis in the mid range. As I've stated many times, I don't mind the extra treble energy.

Nov 28, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #2,340 of 5,136
Yeah that’s about it. I love dynamics and am enjoying bathys / app2 combo. But for 450€ mw75 was looking at me blinking an eye. And just trying to see if it’s worth trying them specially when they are offering return until 15th January… damn this hobby….

oh and btw I had px8 but the better resolution, detail, revealing sound and the kind of energy the bathys deliver I preferred bathys. not That px8 is not to my liking but just love the slam drum on bathys And overall better detail…

if mw75 has more detail and are more revealing then px8 I should try them, do they @Maukey ? Thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back