Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 25, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #2,192 of 5,134
Bathys headband can be improved with a cushioning sleeve. Will look ridiculous but work.

PX8 will settle quite a bit, I felt that mine became more comfortable after a few days of use. I think it is the ear pads forming to my head. Now they are super comfortable.
That's my problem with some Focal headphones. .I had the Clear and it was like a 20 lb weight on the crown of my head and eventually sold it because of that and bought a Sennheiser HD800S which i love.

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #2,195 of 5,134
Well the electronics business is not doing too well these days . It’s not like the first year of the pandemic where audio sales were booming .
Sure. But if they sell out at full price (here in the Nordics there has been a few weeks waiting time) they have no reason to lower prices. Supply and demand…

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #2,196 of 5,134
Well the electronics business is not doing too well these days . It’s not like the first year of the pandemic where audio sales were booming .
That’s the reason I wouldn’t expect them to be on sale. Generally speaking you don’t deeply discount when your profit margins are lower due to supply chain issues and inflation…that’s a recipe for bankruptcy.

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #2,197 of 5,134
Hey i just purchased the PX8, however, some people have mentioned that the headphones are boomy. I'm not a bass head, so I just wanted some clarification on this, as it's not too late for me to get a refund. How heavy is the bass on the PX8?

Chris
Can’t you hear for yourself ? Listening to them might help lol

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #2,198 of 5,134
That's my problem with some Focal headphones. .I had the Clear and it was like a 20 lb weight on the crown of my head and eventually sold it because of that and bought a Sennheiser HD800S which i love.
I love my Sennheiser HD800S for their sound and synergy in my system, but I've always had a slight fit issue with sheer size of the yoke/ear cup (never being as stable as I'd prefer). Never feel them as weight on my head, though.

For my train commute I've just bought some Focal Celestee (after also trying BT options, PX8 and Bathys) - will be interesting to see how I get along comfort wise.

Nov 25, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #2,199 of 5,134
I had a weird battery issue with the px8 yesterday. After it ran low and I got the "bing-bong" warning I recharged to 100% -- or so I thought -- because it proceeded to discharge precipitously after that, appx. 2 hours usage. This happened a couple more times and I thought I might have a defective pair, but an overnight charging session fixed everything. Just mentioning in case it happens to anyone else.

Yea I've had some weird issued with my battery too.

Currently no matter how long I charge it, it only shows up as 52% charged. Just took it off the charger after 6 hours and....sure enough, 52%.

Anyone else run into this sort of thing?

Nov 25, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #2,200 of 5,134
Yea I've had some weird issued with my battery too.

Currently no matter how long I charge it, it only shows up as 52% charged. Just took it off the charger after 6 hours and....sure enough, 52%.

Anyone else run into this sort of thing?
Actually the 52% thing happened to me yesterday. I left it plugged in while I was out, maybe 7 hours. When I returned, the green light was blinking and... still 50-something percent. Left it plugged in overnight, back to 100% in the morning 🤷‍♂️

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #2,202 of 5,134
Hey guys, how's the ANC on these cans? I'm potentially looking for a second ANC headphone that I can use as everyday cans (if that makes sense) to compliment my 5909s. Right now I have the XM5's from Sony, but I'm looking to potentially sell/give those to a family member to get the PX8 due to the better sound quality.

Also, anyone have any insight on how these would perform in the gym? I currently use my XM5's but I'd rather just carry around one headphone at all times as opposed to what I'm doing now (carrying both my 5909s and Sony's wen I head to the office).

Nov 26, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #2,203 of 5,134
Hey guys, how's the ANC on these cans? I'm potentially looking for a second ANC headphone that I can use as everyday cans (if that makes sense) to compliment my 5909s. Right now I have the XM5's from Sony, but I'm looking to potentially sell/give those to a family member to get the PX8 due to the better sound quality.

Also, anyone have any insight on how these would perform in the gym? I currently use my XM5's but I'd rather just carry around one headphone at all times as opposed to what I'm doing now (carrying both my 5909s and Sony's wen I head to the office).
ANC is adequate and works fine to remove low frequencies. I only listened to 5909 briefly but from memory the ANC on these is very poor. PX8 is definitely much more useful. Still, Sony is the unbeated king of ANC by a margin. What is good though is that PX8 does not deteriorate the sound with ANC on (there is only slightly more bass which can be eq:ed if needed), and the ANC seems very mild on ear pressure. I sometimes feel an uncomfortable pressure with some ANC headphones (Bose) but never with PX8.

You could use these on the gym but they are way too nice for that imo. Also even though they fit securely they are not as light as the Sonys so they might slip a little more if you do situps etc. I never use over-ears when working out anyway, for that I have earbuds.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #2,204 of 5,134
The Mark Levinson no. 5909 has dropped by £100 in UK.

Is it worth it over PX8:
ML5909 = £899 inc tax in UK. (REDUCED FROM £999)
Focal Bathys = £699 inc tax in UK.
PX8 = £599 inc tax in UK.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #2,205 of 5,134
The Mark Levinson no. 5909 has dropped by £100 in UK.

Is it worth it over PX8:
ML5909 = £899 inc tax in UK. (REDUCED FROM £999)
Focal Bathys = £699 inc tax in UK.
PX8 = £599 inc tax in UK.
To my ears, no.
It is a wonderful headphone but I have all I need with Bathys and PX8. Actually would choose either of them over 5909 even at same price.

But sound is personal and we have had all sorts of opinions in this thread, even some saying PX8 is rubbish and others even prefering cheaper earbuds for sound alone.
Only your ears can decide and only your ears matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back