Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 20, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #2,101 of 5,138
I’m afraid I don’t have the option to listen to all these nice headphones
But they all retail at the same price at the minute
Tough choice
Ok if you have to pay the same for APM as for PX8 I would definitely call the PX8 the better buy.

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #2,102 of 5,138
Ok if you have to pay the same for APM as for PX8 I would definitely call the PX8 the better buy.
Thank you so much for your advice I appreciate it!

Nov 20, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #2,104 of 5,138
well why does it matter?
I mean, up until I got the Px8 some of my favourite cans was 8-10 years old.

But sure its good to be aware of new launches.
Things move fast in the ANC and BT space, especially when it comes to codecs and processing. Some generations there are huge steps, others are small. Often doesn't make sense to get the discounted old version if the newer ones is about to come out, unless cost is a major factor. There are some new versions that are minor improvements, but in those cases it is better to wait for comparisons and then choose. It comes down to improvements in electronics, better codecs etc. If apple decides to something close to lossless on the second generation APM then it would be bad to be stuck with first generation.

Passive cans make smaller steps and sometimes it is just different tuning while the jumps between Sony XM2 to XM3 was massive and XM3 to XM5 was quite significant as well. Same goes for PX->PX7->PX8 (not heard the PX7 s2 so don't know the difference between PX7 and PX7 S2). A passive can from 6 years ago is still good today while looking at ANC headhpones 6 years ago and comparing to what is available today shows a massive jump in both ANC and sound quality.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #2,105 of 5,138
Passive cans make smaller steps and sometimes it is just different tuning while the jumps between Sony XM2 to XM3 was massive and XM3 to XM5 was quite significant as well.

I never hear XM5 but the difference between XM3 and XM4 is VERY minimal in sound and ANC (and graphs showing this too, by the way) and, in fact, for me XM4 having less good comfort in my case (driver in the left ear cup is touching my ear and is becoming uncomfortable very quickly!).

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #2,106 of 5,138

Absolutely. I had the APM for a year, I preferred the Px7S2 over the APM and these are a step above. Early listening on the Px8's but they're very impressive. I'm listening from iPhone, using a bluetooth adapter for aptx adaptive.

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #2,107 of 5,138
Absolutely. I had the APM for a year, I preferred the Px7S2 over the APM and these are a step above. Early listening on the Px8's but they're very impressive. I'm listening from iPhone, using a bluetooth adapter for aptx adaptive.
Can you please let me what you are using and how to get aptx adaptive from your iPhone to your PX7S2?
Thank you

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #2,108 of 5,138
Can you please let me what you are using and how to get aptx adaptive from your iPhone to your PX7S2?
Thank you
Creative BT-W4, it needs the camera adapter with power though. The BT-W3 will do Aptx HD without power (haven’t tried with the Px8 yet but assume it’ll support HD), can use a little ddhifi lightning to USB C adapter for that one.

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #2,109 of 5,138
Things move fast in the ANC and BT space, especially when it comes to codecs and processing. Some generations there are huge steps, others are small. Often doesn't make sense to get the discounted old version if the newer ones is about to come out, unless cost is a major factor. There are some new versions that are minor improvements, but in those cases it is better to wait for comparisons and then choose. It comes down to improvements in electronics, better codecs etc. If apple decides to something close to lossless on the second generation APM then it would be bad to be stuck with first generation.

Passive cans make smaller steps and sometimes it is just different tuning while the jumps between Sony XM2 to XM3 was massive and XM3 to XM5 was quite significant as well. Same goes for PX->PX7->PX8 (not heard the PX7 s2 so don't know the difference between PX7 and PX7 S2). A passive can from 6 years ago is still good today while looking at ANC headhpones 6 years ago and comparing to what is available today shows a massive jump in both ANC and sound quality.
Sure. That doesn't mean that all new product generations come exclusively with improvements. Some examples:

I own the Sony XM3 and did not upgrade to XM4 because of comfort issues, also the improvements in sound or ANC were very marginal, if anything. Sony XM5 is even more plastic than their predesessor so I didnt bother with that either.

I owned and loved the P7W for a while until I got comfort issues with it. PX however never came close to this beast, nether in SQ or anything else - ANC was useless so that point was moot. Only objective improvement was the proximity sensors, which B&W ironically screwed up royally on their newest and most expensive headphone PX8. PX7 was better than PX but still missing the magical mids and tuning from P7W.

So all that is new is not automatically better, even if the manufacturer wants to market their product that way.

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #2,110 of 5,138
Creative BT-W4, it needs the camera adapter with power though. The BT-W3 will do Aptx HD without power (haven’t tried with the Px8 yet but assume it’ll support HD), can use a little ddhifi lightning to USB C adapter for that one.
Thank you!

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #2,111 of 5,138
Make the switch. Ive owned the xperia and s22 ultra, the Xperia is hot garbage. S22u and iPhone are great.

but the iPhone gives you access to the best tws in the market, and the best portable dac amp, magsafe khadas tea :)
Can ask about your experiences with volume?

I bought an Xperia I vi on release (packaged with WH 1000-XM4s) to replace my ageing iPhone, with the idea of improved resolution for BT streaming.

But the volume was/is terribly low on the Xperia (I also sold of the XM4s). Are the Px8s (or Bathys) having better volume with the Xperia?

Thanks

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #2,112 of 5,138
Thank you!
No worries!

Confirming the BT-W3 works with aptx HD as well :) much tidier setup!

6486A503-E869-4EA7-B2BE-5CF5BB931F0A.jpeg

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,113 of 5,138
Can ask about your experiences with volume?

I bought an Xperia I vi on release (packaged with WH 1000-XM4s) to replace my ageing iPhone, with the idea of improved resolution for BT streaming.

But the volume was/is terribly low on the Xperia (I also sold of the XM4s). Are the Px8s (or Bathys) having better volume with the Xperia?

Thanks
I did have trouble with volume on the Xperia. Even my sensitive wired iems could barely be powered. After fiddling around with it for a while I've concluded the iPhone is just much better, even for audio, as the apple lightning dongle vastly outpowers the xperia (and probably outperforms it). Plus you get the better airpods pro/airpods max option compared to the XM series.

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #2,114 of 5,138
I did have trouble with volume on the Xperia. Even my sensitive wired iems could barely be powered. After fiddling around with it for a while I've concluded the iPhone is just much better, even for audio, as the apple lightning dongle vastly outpowers the xperia (and probably outperforms it). Plus you get the better airpods pro/airpods max option compared to the XM series.
I think this is interesting - I am an iPhone and iPad user and have zero complaints, even with the limitations of AAC.
Lately we have read a number of reviews of e.g. the PX8 in which the reviewer deems the PX8 over AAC/iPhone to be very limited, and that it is basically pointless to have a nice headphone as the PX8 paired with an iPhone.
I disagree. Of course it would be even better with a lossless or near lossless BT codec, but even over AAC I enjoy the PX8 more than many other headphones over APT-X HD. The impact of codecs are often wastly exaggerated.
If I feel like sitting down and listen to lossless music I just hook my PX8 up to an iPad over USB-C.
Walking around or commuting there is no way I would be able to tell the difference anyway...

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #2,115 of 5,138
PX8 ordered but it'll be a few weeks before my dealer will get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back