Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 21, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #2,116 of 5,141
Nov 21, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #2,117 of 5,141
Lately we have read a number of reviews of e.g. the PX8 in which the reviewer deems the PX8 over AAC/iPhone to be very limited, and that it is basically pointless to have a nice headphone as the PX8 paired with an iPhone.
I disagree. Of course it would be even better with a lossless or near lossless BT codec, but even over AAC I enjoy the PX8 more than many other headphones over APT-X HD. The impact of codecs are often wastly exaggerated.
Those comments have made me strongly question the reviewers who made them.

I listen to my Stellia on AAC frequently. Its actually very strange to me people can say AAC somehow sets a ceiling on performance or a strong bottleneck. Anyone saying that needs to hear a Stellia or even a Clear on an iFi go
blu. It sounds tremendous, and way beyond what say a Bathys can do an aptx hd, or any BT headphone.

I wonder if they even bothered to properly test those assertions...

Nov 21, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #2,118 of 5,141
I think this is interesting - I am an iPhone and iPad user and have zero complaints, even with the limitations of AAC.
Lately we have read a number of reviews of e.g. the PX8 in which the reviewer deems the PX8 over AAC/iPhone to be very limited, and that it is basically pointless to have a nice headphone as the PX8 paired with an iPhone.
I disagree. Of course it would be even better with a lossless or near lossless BT codec, but even over AAC I enjoy the PX8 more than many other headphones over APT-X HD. The impact of codecs are often wastly exaggerated.
If I feel like sitting down and listen to lossless music I just hook my PX8 up to an iPad over USB-C.
Walking around or commuting there is no way I would be able to tell the difference anyway...
And iphones with have USB-C next year so there's that.

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #2,119 of 5,141
Creative BT-W4, it needs the camera adapter with power though. The BT-W3 will do Aptx HD without power (haven’t tried with the Px8 yet but assume it’ll support HD), can use a little ddhifi lightning to USB C adapter for that one.
I have the BT-W3 with ddhifi which I use with my Px7 and they made a difference there with AptxHD. However when I tried them with my Px8, they seemed to make no difference at all, so I don't use them there.

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #2,120 of 5,141
I have the BT-W3 with ddhifi which I use with my Px7 and they made a difference there with AptxHD. However when I tried them with my Px8, they seemed to make no difference at all, so I don't use them there.
This is quite interesting as PX8 is a much better headphone than the PX7.
I wonder if it is the PX7:s implementation of AAC that is really poor, or the PX8 that has a really good way of using the very same codec…

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #2,123 of 5,141
In terms of AAC implementation, what's 'average'?
Some headphones change a lot tonally when using AAC and have a large gap up to higher bitrate codecs. Out of the 10 or so BT headphones and in ear that I've owned the PX7 and Focal Bathys has had the most shift in tonality and overall sound quality when using AAC compared to others. Sony generally has a decent AAC implementation, shure also generally works well so those are two brands I would consider average.

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #2,124 of 5,141
Interesting. I just went straight to the adapter but will have to give AAC a go.

Nov 21, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #2,125 of 5,141
I use the latest creative BT-W4 with my Px8, which has BT5.2 with apt X adaptive. Sounds great with different gear. But there is not much of a difference to aac with my iPhone 14 Pro (if at all...) or with my Mac M1 Pro via aac bluetooth mac-native. So the only solution to better the already great sounding Px8 a bit is using USB-C cable from iPhone (with Adapter) or mac direct. So you get a bit more clarity with direct cable connection. But aac is great as is the tiny BT-W4 with apt X adaptive.I find the BT-W4 useful in many cases, so i don't send it back.

Nov 21, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #2,126 of 5,141
I use the latest creative BT-W4 with my Px8, which has BT5.2 with apt X adaptive. Sounds great with different gear. But there is not much of a difference to aac with my iPhone 14 Pro (if at all...) or with my Mac M1 Pro via aac bluetooth mac-native. So the only solution to better the already great sounding Px8 a bit is using USB-C cable from iPhone (with Adapter) or mac direct. So you get a bit more clarity with direct cable connection. But aac is great as is the tiny BT-W4 with apt X adaptive.I find the BT-W4 useful in many cases, so i don't send it back.
any viable solutions on the lack of power support for bt-w4 on iPhone to-date? I’m thinking of the ddhifi TC28i pro adapter which has an extra USB-C in for power supply. No one has one and not tested tho, wonder if this could work. TC28i and the sennheiser BTD600 was proven not working on couple of Japanese site…

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #2,127 of 5,141
Have been trying out AAC this morning and much better than on the Px7! Will have to A/B with the adapter.

Nov 21, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #2,128 of 5,141
I’m thinking of the ddhifi TC28i pro adapter which has an extra USB-C in for power supply. No one has one and not tested tho, wonder if this could work. TC28i and the sennheiser BTD600 was proven not working on couple of Japanese site…

Only the camera adapter from what I’ve seen. Maybe a powered hub if such a thing exists from an iPhone?

TC28i says this at the bottom:

Note: When the TC28i Pro adapter is connected with the charger or power bank, only iPhone will be charged, but NOT the dongle.

Pretty sure the dongle needs power to use the adapter.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #2,129 of 5,141
Hmm, they are saying the H95 beats out the PX8 in terms of sound quality. Can anyone that has both or has listened to both speak to this? I haven’t heard the H95 but have been curious as to how their sound compares to my PX8.
I know lots of ppl will disagree, but I think H95 is better for low/bass focused music
I used px8 / h95 for 2-3weeks and listen to music side by side
Many ppl talk about PX8's vocal and clarity, and i do agree with that.
but Simply, in bass/low-ends, H95 outperform PX8. Any hifi music with low ends sounds mixed will sounds much better with H95
Idk, if anyone has HI-FI system with subwoofer, that is the feeling of H95 when PX8 is...bit sounds like Bluetooth headphone playing low-ends music
( Hans zimmer - why so serious was used for testing)

I am going to keep H95 over PX8. Just simply, PX8 cannot make same experience as H95.

H95 also has issues. in Android/windows, it does not have enough volume. Especially with BTD 600, volume is about 35~40% of PX8 with BTD in android/windows.
However Iphone,AAC gave me enough volume for H95, and i that is good enough for me for headphone since I am only willing to use it because i am planning to go long trip.

I also dont like H95's high pitch sounds when there is no music playing + ANC on . It is weird to have such noise on this much price headphone.

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20221119_133701682_01.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20221119_133701682_01.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 22, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #2,130 of 5,141
I know lots of ppl will disagree, but I think H95 is better for low/bass focused music
I used px8 / h95 for 2-3weeks and listen to music side by side
Many ppl talk about PX8's vocal and clarity, and i do agree with that.
but Simply, in bass/low-ends, H95 outperform PX8. Any hifi music with low ends sounds mixed will sounds much better with H95
Idk, if anyone has HI-FI system with subwoofer, that is the feeling of H95 when PX8 is...bit sounds like Bluetooth headphone playing low-ends music
( Hans zimmer - why so serious was used for testing)

I am going to keep H95 over PX8. Just simply, PX8 cannot make same experience as H95.

H95 also has issues. in Android/windows, it does not have enough volume. Especially with BTD 600, volume is about 35~40% of PX8 with BTD in android/windows.
However Iphone,AAC gave me enough volume for H95, and i that is good enough for me for headphone since I am only willing to use it because i am planning to go long trip.

I also dont like H95's high pitch sounds when there is no music playing + ANC on . It is weird to have such noise on this much price headphone.
Well, I prefer my bass to be fast and in line with the music. Not artificial and overblown.
But you are right that there are many headphones with MORE bass than the Px8, for sure.

Personal preference, as always.

I think most experienced ears would place H95 in a lower caregory than PX8 (and Bathys) for sound quality, maybe more in the same league as the APM. Good but not the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back