Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 20, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #1,021 of 5,210
haha i def cant handle really loud noise. my hearing is too sensitive to loud noises. I cant be too close to speakers at a show and need to have ear protection or find me in the way back

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #1,022 of 5,210
IMG_0327.jpg

ML 5909, B&W Px8 and AirPods Pro 2.

I returning my Bathys yesterday for 3 reasons (isn't about sound quality) and today I receiving the black version of the px8 that in my opinion is very much more nice than the tan colour.

Today the 5909 receiving the second firmware update that apparently is fixing the unreliable head-on detection feature. I updating short time ago and in my testing is looking like is working very well now.

I'm comparing the px8 and 5909 and deciding the headphone that I'm keeping (obviously not Bathys anymore), but one thing that nobody is mentioning in this thread, and that I'm hearing immediately now and don't testing with previous pair (I only testing off mode with music), is that bass is having very clear boost when transparency or ANC is on, this meaning that in off mode bass is less in quantity.

This is typical in majority of ANC headphones, but with px8 this is a surprise because nobody saying this before. This isn't happening with Bathys, but Bathys, in fact, isn't have real off mode (only transparency and 2 levels of ANC). The 5909 is having a boost in bass too BUT only with ANC on and not with transparency.

The bass is having a boost in low bass (sub bass) specially and is making the sound, without EQ, boomy. Is a pity. The good news is that EQ is working very well and, contrary with mainguy's opinion, the sound, for me, is better when reducing bass with EQ and isn't distorting the sound.

This is only after 10 minutes testing. I comment more later.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #1,023 of 5,210
IMG_0327.jpg

ML 5909, B&W Px8 and AirPods Pro 2.

I returning my Bathys yesterday for 3 reasons (isn't about sound quality) and today I receiving the black version of the px8 that in my opinion is very much more nice than the tan colour.

Today the 5909 receiving the second firmware update that apparently is fixing the unreliable head-on detection feature. I updating short time ago and in my testing is looking like is working very well now.

I'm comparing the px8 and 5909 and deciding the headphone that I'm keeping (obviously not Bathys anymore), but one thing that nobody is mentioning in this thread, and that I'm hearing immediately now and don't testing with previous pair, is that bass is having very clear boost when transparency or ANC is on, this meaning that in off mode bass is less in quantity.

This is typical in majority of ANC headphones, but with px8 this is a surprise because nobody saying this before. This isn't happening with Bathys, but Bathys, in fact, isn't have real off mode (only transparency and 2 levels of ANC). The 5909 is having a boost in bass too BUT only with ANC on and not with transparency.

The bass is having a boost in low bass (sub bass) specially and is making the sound, without EQ, boomy. Is a pity. The good news is that EQ is working very well and, contrary with mainguy's opinion, the sound, for me, is better when reducing bass with EQ and isn't distorting the sound.

This is only after 10 minutes testing. I comment more later.
Yeah I notice a little difference in the bass cycling between modes just now, but nothing hugely sound altering.

I think what I’m guessing here is just that a lot of people love a lot of bass lol, so it isn’t really a big deal.

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #1,024 of 5,210
Yeah I notice a little difference in the bass cycling between modes just now, but nothing hugely sound altering.

The difference is NOT small. And with some music is many more obvious / more big the difference.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #1,026 of 5,210
Oh I can hear a difference, it’s just not like it’s 50% greater bass or anything crazy

I don't know exactly the percentage but if is 20%, this is already a lot. For normal consumer probably isn't so important, but for people that listen only a little to quality of sound, 20% difference is A LOT.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #1,027 of 5,210
I don't know exactly the percentage but if is 20%, this is already a lot.
I think we have different definitions of a lot, but that’s arguing semantics, so not worth it in this case as we largely agree.

I am actually curious now though…may I politely ask why you returned the bathys, since you said it was not sound related.

Oct 20, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,030 of 5,210
Pretty annoying that their web shop says in stock ”today” but they will not confirm shipment for this week and they are unable to transport a demo pair from their own central warehouse to the store in less than 6 days…
If i could buy them from B&W direct I would.
Agreed…
Or… I’ll swallow that disappointment and take a day trip to Oslo. As long as the price difference is around 1 KSEK it’s worth it; for a 6 year guarantee 😎

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #1,031 of 5,210
After 2 hours comparing my 5909 and px8 carefully, this is what is my opinion right now. I need doing more testing because I want being really 100% sure about I keeping the correct headphone. BUT the reality is that right now I think my decision in next day or two will be in favour of px8.

I saying to one friend here in headfi that I really, really hoping the 5909 is the winner because I'm not happy with px8 thread because is looking like is a px8 fan club where the px8 is perfect in every aspects, with little objectivity from the principal fans.

Some reasons for maybe deciding I keeping the px8 (like I deciding before keeping the Bathys) are personal and more in connection with my preferences and necessities.

Ok, the more important thing is the sound. With EQ I think I can living very happy with the px8 in the 3 modes (off, ANC or transparency). Unfortunately the 5909 EQ is very limited. And is good thing that px8 is responding well with small changes in EQ. With the 5909 this isn't always true even when in general I think the 5909 having little better factory sound than px8.

The px8 is very, very comfortable, more than Bathys, but the 5909 is very clearly the best. I see more now how important the comfort aspect in 5909 is in development and research of this headphone. The people that contributing in the final product making a priority that you can using the 5909 many, many hours. But I insist the px8 is very, very good in this aspect.

I need testing again ANC and transparency quality between this 2 headphones (I'm using more ANC recently), but Bathys having very clearly better transparency (important for me always) than both.

Design, size and transportability are better in px8, and the black version is looking like having better construction quality too (this isn't my opinion with the px8 in tan colour!).

Now with new firmware update today, after 9 months, on-ear detection is working very well, apparently (need more testing) in 5909. This isn't true in px8 and I like this feature a lot for obvious reasons.

I love that the px8 having more volume steps in iOS and macOS than 5909 and Bathys (Bathys bad in this aspect) and for me this is really important. I still reaching more quickly the playback buttons in 5909 but maybe little more practice in px8 is helping having better user experience. This is too very important because I changing volume and tracks ALL the time (Bathys better here than other two).

More impressions tomorrow.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #1,032 of 5,210
After 2 hours comparing my 5909 and px8 carefully, this is what is my opinion right now. I need doing more testing because I want being really 100% sure about I keeping the correct headphone. BUT the reality is that right now I think my decision in next day or two will be in favour of px8.

I saying to one friend here in headfi that I really, really hoping the 5909 is the winner because I'm not happy with px8 thread because is looking like is a px8 fan club where the px8 is perfect in every aspects, with little objectivity from the principal fans.

Some reasons for maybe deciding I keeping the px8 (like I deciding before keeping the Bathys) are personal and more in connection with my preferences and necessities.

Ok, the more important thing is the sound. With EQ I think I can living very happy with the px8 in the 3 modes (off, ANC or transparency). Unfortunately the 5909 EQ is very limited. And is good thing that px8 is responding well with small changes in EQ. With the 5909 this isn't always true even when in general I think the 5909 having little better factory sound than px8.

The px8 is very, very comfortable, more than Bathys, but the 5909 is very clearly the best. I see more now how important the comfort aspect in 5909 is in development and research of this headphone. The people that contributing in the final product making a priority that you can using the 5909 many, many hours. But I insist the px8 is very, very good in this aspect.

I need testing again ANC and transparency quality between this 2 headphones (I'm using more ANC recently), but Bathys having very clearly better transparency (important for me always) than both.

Design, size and transportability are better in px8, and the black version is looking like having better construction quality too (this isn't my opinion with the px8 in tan colour!).

Now with new firmware update today, after 9 months, on-ear detection is working very well, apparently (need more testing) in 5909. This isn't true in px8 and I like this feature a lot for obvious reasons.

I love that the px8 having more volume steps in iOS and macOS than 5909 and Bathys (Bathys bad in this aspect) and for me this is really important. I still reaching more quickly the playback buttons in 5909 but maybe little more practice in px8 is helping having better user experience. This is too very important because I changing volume and tracks ALL the time (Bathys better here than other two).

Well welll well lol I appreciate your willingness to give every pair a fair chance and I’m surprised at the outcome. It’s been fun comparing listening styles and seeing which high end pair comes out ahead

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #1,033 of 5,210

Nice, Thanks for your input.
I know comfort is personal, but I always found the plastic Bose and Sonys to be very, very good in this regard.
I own the Sony Wh-1000M3 and sure it is plastic and maybe on the warm side, but I could always wear it for much longer than the P7w (vice) and the Px7 (better but not super comfortable).
How would you rate the fit and comfort of PX8 against the Sonys or even the PX7?

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #1,034 of 5,210
I know comfort is personal, but I always found the plastic Bose and Sonys to be very, very good in this regard.
I own the Sony Wh-1000M3 and sure it is plastic and maybe on the warm side, but I could always wear it for much longer than the P7w (vice) and the Px7 (better but not super comfortable).
How would you rate the fit and comfort of PX8 against the Sonys or even the PX7?

I have px7 only for 3-4 days when is realising and I returning quickly because the sound isn't very good for me, but I remember the comfort is ok but not great like my XM3 or other headphones. But is funny because XM4, that is very similar design like XM3, is uncomfortable only after 10 mins because my left ear is touching the driver in ear cup and is becoming painful very soon.

From my memory, the very, very best headphone in comfort aspect is Bose QC35 and QC35 II. Is a reason why Bose keeping this model for a long, long time (great ANC, very decent sound, extreme comfort, fantastic portability, excellent playback buttons and new technology where you can listening in low volume and have good bass, something not other headphone can doing!) BUT, the big problem for me is that I CAN'T using earpads that aren't genuine leather, even AirPods Max making my ears hot, sweating and making skin reaction quickly.

Answering your question, about fit and comfort, the px8 is very, very good, better than I thinking before trying. Really. If plastic isn't a problem, the XM3 is more comfortable. And from memory, I think px8 is more comfortable than px7.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #1,035 of 5,210

Users who are viewing this thread

Back