Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 2, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #137 of 5,160
Mine arrived today, but haven’t had a chance to really sit down with them yet other than an initial brief listen, but early impressions are certainly very positive indeed. They sound great. Fit and finish is superb and feels very premium compared to the Px7S2. The five minutes or so I’ve had to listen to them is that they sound really great - more open and agile than the Px7S2, with some sparkle - so less rolled off treble and incredibly taught bass.

I’ll post more when I get the chance after some more time with them.
Got mine today as couldn't agree more. These are what I was looking for when I bought my original PX model. I am a bit limited during the day today, but will listen more tonight.

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #138 of 5,160
Here in Spain, consulted by the distributor from whom I have ordered the PX8 "We hope to receive units the week of October 10.
As soon as we will give priority to your request. What do you want me to tell you, I have the PX7 and I am delighted with them. I hope and wish that Bowers & Wilkins have done a good job and don't let us down. I'll tell you something when I receive them. Cheers

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #139 of 5,160
And I'll tell you more: although the review from pcmag.com is not satisfactory due to the ANC issue, I can't stand the Sony ANC. They give me a headache. I bought the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless on amazon and returned them because it was a roar listening to such deep bass and even the jack to connect with 3.5 was defective (it went in but didn't come out). With B&W PX7, I have enjoyed it a lot and I think that with that superior range of the PX8, we will enjoy even more with everything of the PX7 S2 added to the fact that it includes a premium level of finish.
https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/bowers-wilkins-px8

Oct 2, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #140 of 5,160
So, not had as much time to spend with the Px8 as I'd have liked this weekend, but have now had a chance for a reasonable listen against the Px7S2 and the MW75.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that the Px8 is definitely worth the premium over the Px7S2, they feel fantastic, are beautifully built and the leather ear pads are fabulous. I'm a sucker for a high quality build with premium materials. I've never really got on with fake leather ear pads making my ears get extremely hot, but have never had the issue with leather such as on the H95, MW74 or the Px8.
Sound wise the Px8 is quite different to the Px7S2 - in fact I'd go as far as saying it makes the Px7S2 feel slightly congested. There is more sub bass extension with the Px8 (but the bass is really taught), more sparkle on the top-end. They're really punchy and a very fun listen. Everything I'd hoped they'd be over the Px7

Compared to the MW75 they are very different animals. The Px8 manage to make the MW75 sound slightly hollow for me. I always found the MW75 a little more exciting to listen to than the Px7, I can't say the same about the Px8. Out of the two, I'd reach for the Px8 every time.

The strong point of the Px7 has always been that visceral mid-range bump which tends to be part of the B&W house sound, but the Px8 improve upon that with deeper more controlled bass extension, and wonderful sparkly treble.

ANC is broadly similar to the Px7S2 (no surprise there), and the case is essentially the same as the Px7 case (again no surprise, although it might have been nice given the price premium to have something a little more special)

The Px8 is a definite keeper for me.

On the subject of ear cups - interesting one as I've actually found the Px7 and Px8 to be the most comfortable I've found size wise. They fit my entire ear quite comfortably, compared to the H95, MW75 which are much smaller in comparison.

Comfort is always very personal, but in order I'd say: Px8 > Px7S2 > MW75

Oct 2, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #141 of 5,160
And I'll tell you more: although the review from pcmag.com is not satisfactory due to the ANC issue, I can't stand the Sony ANC. They give me a headache. I bought the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless on amazon and returned them because it was a roar listening to such deep bass and even the jack to connect with 3.5 was defective (it went in but didn't come out). With B&W PX7, I have enjoyed it a lot and I think that with that superior range of the PX8, we will enjoy even more with everything of the PX7 S2 added to the fact that it includes a premium level of finish.
https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/bowers-wilkins-px8
Its an odd review that. The Px8 isn't in the same class as the likes of the M4W, XM5's or even the Px7S2. They're designed to compete in the tier above such as the APM, H95 and MW75. They're not about all-out ANC, but a premium build with a great sound to match. As such I'd say they're priced about just right, especially now the typical pricing for the lower tier has moved in the past year from around £300 to now £379

Oct 2, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #142 of 5,160
So, not had as much time to spend with the Px8 as I'd have liked this weekend, but have now had a chance for a reasonable listen against the Px7S2 and the MW75.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that the Px8 is definitely worth the premium over the Px7S2, they feel fantastic, are beautifully built and the leather ear pads are fabulous. I'm a sucker for a high quality build with premium materials. I've never really got on with fake leather ear pads making my ears get extremely hot, but have never had the issue with leather such as on the H95, MW74 or the Px8.
Sound wise the Px8 is quite different to the Px7S2 - in fact I'd go as far as saying it makes the Px7S2 feel slightly congested. There is more sub bass extension with the Px8 (but the bass is really taught), more sparkle on the top-end. They're really punchy and a very fun listen. Everything I'd hoped they'd be over the Px7

Compared to the MW75 they are very different animals. The Px8 manage to make the MW75 sound slightly hollow for me. I always found the MW75 a little more exciting to listen to than the Px7, I can't say the same about the Px8. Out of the two, I'd reach for the Px8 every time.

The strong point of the Px7 has always been that visceral mid-range bump which tends to be part of the B&W house sound, but the Px8 improve upon that with deeper more controlled bass extension, and wonderful sparkly treble.

ANC is broadly similar to the Px7S2 (no surprise there), and the case is essentially the same as the Px7 case (again no surprise, although it might have been nice given the price premium to have something a little more special)

On the subject of ear cups - interesting one as I've actually found the Px7 and Px8 to be the most comfortable I've found size wise. They fit my entire ear quite comfortably, compared to the H95, MW75 which are much smaller in comparison.

Thanks for the impressions! Can’t wait for mine to arrive.

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #143 of 5,160

Fantastic write-up! I cannot wait to get mine. This made me feel a lot better since audio quality is priority to me over ANC, etc.

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #144 of 5,160
This has to be a record for how long a headphone has been out

So it seems like PX8 has won the battle for the top tier bluetooth headphones, unsurprisingly, Apple and Master & Dynamic were never going to put up much of a fight.
But the war is about to begin, Focal Bathys is launching tomorrow, around the $800 mark. Exciting times.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #145 of 5,160
This has to be a record for how long a headphone has been out

So it seems like PX8 has won the battle for the top tier bluetooth headphones, unsurprisingly, Apple and Master & Dynamic were never going to put up much of a fight.
But the war is about to begin, Focal Bathys is launching tomorrow, around the $800 mark. Exciting times.
Don't forget the Mark Levinsons!

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #146 of 5,160

Thanks for the wonderful report! The ear pad, earcup size is a big concern for me. So it was great to learn they might work for me. Any chance you’ve ever used the cabled, fabled P9? I wonder how that might compare?
Yes, a crazy question I know.

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #147 of 5,160
I haven't (or desired) a/b/c compared mine yet with my older versions, but so far I feel these deserve to be kept. I was really on the fence after they raised the price, but so far so good. Personally, I like to listen to a lot of instrumental/vocal music and want that to stand out. The last cans that I have owned that compare in that arena to these were the H95s. Running them through the different genres now and so far they sound really good with the different types. B&W removed the "cinematics" that the PX7(s) have, and have put an emphasis on the musicality. Comfort wise, I don't feel they are overly clampy on my nugget so far and are quite comfortable in the couple hours I have used them. I also have not experienced the cups feeling warm like some of the pleather cups do. The ear pads feel a bit firmer than the S2s (going off memory). On those, my right ear was touching the speaker grill, on these I have not had that issue. I will try and post some additional updates, but for those with them on order, I do believe you will be pleased with your purchase.

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #148 of 5,160
I haven't (or desired) a/b/c compared mine yet with my older versions, but so far I feel these deserve to be kept. I was really on the fence after they raised the price, but so far so good. Personally, I like to listen to a lot of instrumental/vocal music and want that to stand out. The last cans that I have owned that compare in that arena to these were the H95s. Running them through the different genres now and so far they sound really good with the different types. B&W removed the "cinematics" that the PX7(s) have, and have put an emphasis on the musicality. Comfort wise, I don't feel they are overly clampy on my nugget so far and are quite comfortable in the couple hours I have used them. I also have not experienced the cups feeling warm like some of the pleather cups do. The ear pads feel a bit firmer than the S2s (going off memory). On those, my right ear was touching the speaker grill, on these I have not had that issue. I will try and post some additional updates, but for those with them on order, I do believe you will be pleased with your purchase.
Can you comment how these compare to the H95? I have them but like the B&W signature better. Thank you!

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #149 of 5,160
Can you comment how these compare to the H95? I have them but like the B&W signature better. Thank you!
I haven't had the H95s for a while, so will go off memory here. The quality of the build is very comparable, with the PX8s possibly winning this due to the folding feature of the 95s adding an additional feeling of cautiousness when taking out and putting away. The volume is not as limited on the PX8s, which was somewhat of an irritant when I had the 95s. I want to control how loud the cans go, not the manufacturer telling me what is too loud :) This was the primary reason I don't have them any longer. I think the mids are more pronounced on the PX8s as well, but again, going off memory. With B&W coming off their high horse and allowing for sound adjustments in the app (for S2s as well), albeit a basic eq, I think they have gotten rid of the irritant that a number of folks have had with their headphones. I have not felt the need to adjust these yet, but I do like that flexibility. The H95s, along with the other B&O headphones I have/had (EQ,EX), require adjustments in the "wheel" to get them to my liking. No knock whatsoever on the 95s as I really liked them, especially the ANC wheel on the earcup, which is awesome. Also, the case/combo is quite a bit lighter on the PX8s than the H95s with that metal case. Hope this helps some and apologies I can't get closer on comparing, but it's been a while since I had the H95s.

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #150 of 5,160
I haven't had the H95s for a while, so will go off memory here. The quality of the build is very comparable, with the PX8s possibly winning this due to the folding feature of the 95s adding an additional feeling of cautiousness when taking out and putting away. The volume is not as limited on the PX8s, which was somewhat of an irritant when I had the 95s. I want to control how loud the cans go, not the manufacturer telling me what is too loud :) This was the primary reason I don't have them any longer. I think the mids are more pronounced on the PX8s as well, but again, going off memory. With B&W coming off their high horse and allowing for sound adjustments in the app (for S2s as well), albeit a basic eq, I think they have gotten rid of the irritant that a number of folks have had with their headphones. I have not felt the need to adjust these yet, but I do like that flexibility. The H95s, along with the other B&O headphones I have/had (EQ,EX), require adjustments in the "wheel" to get them to my liking. No knock whatsoever on the 95s as I really liked them, especially the ANC wheel on the earcup, which is awesome. Also, the case/combo is quite a bit lighter on the PX8s than the H95s with that metal case. Hope this helps some and apologies I can't get closer on comparing, but it's been a while since I had the H95s.
Amazing. Thank you. The volume limit and mediocre ANC is my biggest issue with the H95. If the PX8 are better in both with richer sub bass I might sell my H95s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back