Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 3, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #166 of 5,212
The only way to know for sure whether a codec really matters is to do a volume-matched double-blind test with the same headphones, but switching codecs. And then ideally through a Bluetooth transmitter with a good AAC implementation, as it appears that on iPhones the AAC implementation is better (which you'd expect given that it's a codec created by Apple) than on many Androids.
Apple did not create AAC, but you're right that it appears to be better implemented on Apple devices than on Android devices (at least historically).

100% agreed that codec is by far a secondary consideration to headphone tuning, listening environment, and even in some cases, comfort.

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #167 of 5,212
Oct 3, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #170 of 5,212
/offtopic I've actually been contemplating switching from Android to iOS with the iPhone 14 Pro. It's the only phone in the US market that's of a reasonable size (I hate really big phones), a flat display, great cameras and can be had with 512gb of storage (this last one being an important one). With Samsung you have to get the Ultra, which is just too huge (I have the S10 currently which is the perfect size). The Google Pixels appear to be too unreliable. Then there is OnePlus which has decent availability in the US, but I'd rather not get a Chinese phone because of trust issues. There are then no other good brands in the US with good support/carrier support. I'm maybe considering the new Sony Xperia 5 IV, but they're really overpriced for what you get (BUT you do get headphone jacks + microSD, which is what's tempting me), they have limited carrier support in the US, poor availability and only 2 years of OS updates.

So I on some level have a vested interest in believing that AAC is a more than good enough codec :)

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #171 of 5,212
/offtopic I've actually been contemplating switching from Android to iOS with the iPhone 14 Pro. It's the only phone in the US market that's of a reasonable size (I hate really big phones), a flat display, great cameras and can be had with 512gb of storage (this last one being an important one). With Samsung you have to get the Ultra, which is just too huge (I have the S10 currently which is the perfect size). The Google Pixels appear to be too unreliable. Then there is OnePlus which has decent availability in the US, but I'd rather not get a Chinese phone because of trust issues. There are then no other good brands in the US with good support/carrier support. I'm maybe considering the new Sony Xperia 5 IV, but they're really overpriced for what you get (BUT you do get headphone jacks + microSD, which is what's tempting me), they have limited carrier support in the US, poor availability and only 2 years of OS updates.

So I on some level have a vested interest in believing that AAC is a more than good enough codec :)
Make the switch. Ive owned the xperia and s22 ultra, the Xperia is hot garbage. S22u and iPhone are great.

but the iPhone gives you access to the best tws in the market, and the best portable dac amp, magsafe khadas tea :)

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #173 of 5,212
Make the switch. Ive owned the xperia and s22 ultra, the Xperia is hot garbage. S22u and iPhone are great.

but the iPhone gives you access to the best tws in the market, and the best portable dac amp, magsafe khadas tea :)

The convenience features if apm are wild. Apple just next level. But the sound didn't do anything for me :frowning2:

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #174 of 5,212

Yeah, I'm seriously considering it. Not sure I'll like iOS as much as Android (Android is much more flexible), but at the same time, phones have just become commodities at this point and I just need it do a hand full of things well: messaging, email, browsing, calendar, phone calls (of course), photography, note taking, music playback. And then be straightforward and simple to use and allow me to do some basic customization, like picking default apps for browsers, email, calendar, etc.

Apple is very much "our way or the highway" with doing things, whereas with Android it's "you want to do it differently? go ahead". I overall prefer the latter approach, but I'm also caring less and less, as long as it works well and reliably. I do hate that Apple dropped physical SIMs for US models of the iPhone 14, as I travel regularly and there's nothing easier than buying a cheap local SIM and popping it in to your phone. eSIMs are typically more expensive.

I might end up waiting until early next year to see what Samsung announces for their S23 line and then make a decision. If Samsung would for example release their regular S23/S23+ with 512GB of storage I'll probably go with that and stick with Android. The Ultra is just too big and heavy.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #175 of 5,212
Pixel 5 going strong. Still has a wired connection for my IEMs!

Pixel 7 hopefully can atone for the sins of pixel 6 but only time will tell.

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #176 of 5,212
Pixel 5 going strong. Still has a wired connection for my IEMs!

Pixel 7 hopefully can atone for the sins of pixel 6 but only time will tell.
Yeah I'm looking forward to the announcement this week, and then actual user reviews once it's in circulation. Will definitely not be pre-ordering those :)

I will soooooo miss my headphone jack once I move to a new phone, and will probably be cursing everytime I forget to bring an adapter. Been holding off so long on upgrading with my S10 (which has a headphone jack + sd card) as frankly all new phones felt like a downgrade while needing to pay more money. But it's finally starting to show signs of getting old after having been very reliable for the past 3.5 years. I can probably stretch it to the 4 year mark.

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #177 of 5,212
The only good thing out of this is it made me get a DAP and now I can disconnect from email and text but have music

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #178 of 5,212
The only good thing out of this is it made me get a DAP and now I can disconnect from email and text but have music
I hear you, but I don't want to walk around with more than one device. Too much hassle, bulk, weight, etc. Also why I don't really have portable headphone amps/dacs, they just end up gathering dust. Also why I'm still pissed most high-end phones don't have a headphone jack nowadays. Such a dumb move, and you know it was purely to start pushing wireless audio so they can make more money.

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #179 of 5,212
Mine arrived today, just gave them a quick fire up and must say I am very impressed with the sound.
PXL_20221003_184451154.jpg

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #180 of 5,212
Mine arrived today, just gave them a quick fire up and must say I am very impressed with the sound.
PXL_20221003_184451154.jpg

They're gorgeous! Don't wear them out on the streets or you'll get mugged, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back