Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Sep 30, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #107 of 5,212
Sep 30, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #109 of 5,212
First review I've found is not a good one.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/bowers-wilkins-px8
PC mag is crap though, they reviewed the MW08 (which I own) and said
'Rich, clear audio performance focused on accuracy'
Which is absolutely hilarious, they're bass cannons with a massively boosted FR curve (see Crinnacles graphs) and not focused on accuracy at all. I doubt even the engineers were going for accuracy and they sure as hell realised they didn't achieve it.
So yeah, won't be trusting PCmag ever again with audio. Maybe the clue is in the name

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #110 of 5,212
PC mag is crap though, they reviewed the MW08 (which I own) and said
'Rich, clear audio performance focused on accuracy'
Which is absolutely hilarious, they're bass cannons with a massively boosted FR curve (see Crinnacles graphs) and not focused on accuracy at all. I doubt even the engineers were going for accuracy and they sure as hell realised they didn't achieve it.
So yeah, won't be trusting them ever again.
Well, seems like they're mostly panning the PX8 because of the cost. Which given the typical PC mag audience (average consumers) is fair. And well, beyond say $500 it's greatly diminishing returns anyway. Most headphones north of $500 objectively aren't worth the cost at all IMO. But that won't stop enthusiasts from buying them anyway.

Like I'd never ever buy $1K+ headphones. Just not worth the cost. My favorite headphones in my entire collection is my Fidelio X2HR. Great SQ, supremely comfortable, can literally wear them all day. And they only cost me $150. My second favorite headphone is my Sony MDR-7520, which are really studio monitor headphones, but they have excellent clarity and detail throughout the entire frequency range. Those cost me close to $400 almost 10 years ago. My most expensive headphones are my JH13FP custom IEMs, they cost me like $800 or $900, and I haven't worn them in years (I've learned I actually hate the comfort of CIEMs).

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #111 of 5,212
Someone please compare these to the old P7 Wireless and the P9!

I have never liked the new noise cancelling PX series at all, either too uncomfortable or the sound quality not matching that of the old stuff. Too bad because most of the R&D money went to the wireless and ANC capabilities instead of materials, comfort, and sound quality. At least this PX8 seems to have addressed the materials angle..

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #112 of 5,212
The way I interpreted the PCMag review is that there was a lot of emphasis on the ANC component, which to me is a lesser consideration regarding the 'rating' of a headphone. For me, the sound quality, comfort and build are the most important features by far and away. The PX8 will be used almost exclusively at home, with no significant extraneous noise that would impede my listening experience. The ANC will just be a 'luxury' in that sense. The wireless feature of the PX8's will be wonderful to have, as I often sit out on the deck and read, or find comfortable places to just relax. I'm hoping the PX8 simply round out the enjoyment I have had from my AKG 702's and Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk IEMs.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #113 of 5,212
The way I interpreted the PCMag review is that there was a lot of emphasis on the ANC component, which to me is a lesser consideration regarding the 'rating' of a headphone. For me, the sound quality, comfort and build are the most important features by far and away. The PX8 will be used almost exclusively at home, with no significant extraneous noise that would impede my listening experience. The ANC will just be a 'luxury' in that sense. The wireless feature of the PX8's will be wonderful to have, as I often sit out on the deck and read, or find comfortable places to just relax. I'm hoping the PX8 simply round out the enjoyment I have had from my AKG 702's and Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk IEMs.
Pretty much this. Personally, I’d never bring a pair of $700 headphones out to begin with, but that’s just me lol. That’s what I’d bring my Galaxy Buds 2 Pro or even my Momentum 3’s for.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #114 of 5,212
In all sincerity, I really think that’ll be the crux and negatives with most of the upcoming reviews we’ll see, is the price. Especially the last minute hike like that. Pretty confident audio quality, build quality, features, etc. will be praised.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #116 of 5,212
In all sincerity, I really think that’ll be the crux and negatives with most of the upcoming reviews we’ll see, is the price. Especially the last minute hike like that. Pretty confident audio quality, build quality, features, etc. will be praised will be praised.
If it weren't the random price increase, I probably would have ordered it already today via B&W when I received the marking email blast. I would take them up on their 30-day no hassle policy, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth now how a price increase was done. They could have waited a year or so before changing the prices if needed.

I would reserve judgment until more in-depth reviews are done on the performance, but I think I would only buy it if actually lived up to the naming convention, that is, a cross between a P7 and P9 in wireless mode, or even wired mode.

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #117 of 5,212
I think you guys will all like how the PX8 sounds. I loved the sound of the PX7 S2, and it sounds like the PX8 is a further refinement of that. Your only issue may be long-term comfort, as the earpads are on the smaller side, which is why I didn't keep the S2 and will not be getting the PX8. But I'm very picky when it comes to comfort, many of you will probably be fine.

Enjoy!

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #118 of 5,212
Do you know if the physical buttons on the PX8 are made out of metal like on the B&O H95 or if they are plastic? I'm a huge fan of P7 and P7 wireless that I still use at home and on the go. I didn't like PX series but it may change with this headphones. The two leather parts of the headband are not woven, I hope they will not come off like on the P9 because this is the case on FCC sheets.

Screen-Shot-2022-09-30-at-9-04-13-PM.png

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #119 of 5,212
No LDAC excludes Samsung owners (unless you're ok with aptx) as their products don't support aptx HD/adaptive/lossless. Samsung is only the largest phone manufacturer by volume. No big deal.
Yeah I'm not paying that price for something that is only going to support basic AptX on my Galaxy Ultra. No LDAC and no AptX Lossless for upcoming phones either. I'll pass for this round of updates.

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #120 of 5,212
Well, seems like they're mostly panning the PX8 because of the cost. Which given the typical PC mag audience (average consumers) is fair. And well, beyond say $500 it's greatly diminishing returns anyway. Most headphones north of $500 objectively aren't worth the cost at all IMO. But that won't stop enthusiasts from buying them anyway.

Like I'd never ever buy $1K+ headphones. Just not worth the cost. My favorite headphones in my entire collection is my Fidelio X2HR. Great SQ, supremely comfortable, can literally wear them all day. And they only cost me $150. My second favorite headphone is my Sony MDR-7520, which are really studio monitor headphones, but they have excellent clarity and detail throughout the entire frequency range. Those cost me close to $400 almost 10 years ago. My most expensive headphones are my JH13FP custom IEMs, they cost me like $800 or $900, and I haven't worn them in years (I've learned I actually hate the comfort of CIEMs).
It is law of diminishing returns and beyond 500 you are often paying a bit extra for the quality materials that often don't impact sound quality. However the headphones I have that are above $500 are able to convey large scale dynamics and nuances in the music in a way that none of my sub $500 headphones are able to. Granted they all need a good dac+amp to do so and for a lot of people it is not worth the extra cost. It all depends on what you are after and a lot of people on this forum are willing to pay a bit extra for the extra sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back