Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Jan 19, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #2,986 of 5,214
It's strange how worried ya'll are about batteries?

You realise these batteries can take 800+ cycles with less than 20% degradation?

I highly doubt anyone will do 24,000 hours of use on these in anything under 5 years. I've got bT headphones from 2016 and they still last upwards of 15 hrs.

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #2,987 of 5,214
B&W say the battery is non-replaceable but someone in a previous post put a link to a YouTube video showing that it clearly is. The battery is a generic type that is common and can be accessed by removing a few screws. No doubt warranty will be invalidated but will have almost certainly have expired by then anyway.
As you very well said I'm sure a competent repairer will be able to replace the battery, by then the warranty would have expired for sure.

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #2,988 of 5,214

You realise these batteries can take 800+ cycles with less than 20% degradation?

I highly doubt anyone will do 24,000 hours of use on these in anything under 5 years. I've got bT headphones from 2016 and they still last upwards of 15 hrs.
Exactly. My old P7w was fine after six years.
It is like my neighbour who keps asking me when I am going to need a battery replacement for the Tesla I got a few years back… ”never”…

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #2,989 of 5,214

I'm not worried at all.

Just curious what kind of service B&W offers for the PX8.

I had a few issues with my Zeppelin.
The power supply failed twice and replaced twice under warranty.

Jan 19, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #2,990 of 5,214

The voice of reason for sure! I think people (me included) freak out after buying something so expensive and go straight to worst case scenario in our heads. You're right though, by the time the battery dies the headphones will be almost obsolete.

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #2,991 of 5,214
This is textbook advice although I am pretty sceptical based on personal experience. Take my phone for example - plugged in every night and charged to 100% and remaining on charge for 8 hours. Have drained to zero many times too. I still get roughly the same use out of one charge as I did 18 months ago.
I am of the opinion that for 90 to 95% of the electronics you were going to buy… You are going to want to buy a new one or sell the item before you ever get to the point of needing to worry about battery degradation.

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #2,992 of 5,214
I'm not worried at all.

Just curious what kind of service B&W offers for the PX8.

I had a few issues with my Zeppelin.
The power supply failed twice and replaced twice under warranty.
I also agree that battery is usually a non-issue, I do happen to be stuck with a wonky charging situation with my review unit (not covered by warranty), where It sometimes will not charge then goes into an accelerated discharge. I've learned how to force it back to normal, which takes a few minutes of my time now and then.

If I did have a warranty B&W would replace it but only as a send-and-wait service. They do not offer a battery replacement service and I have not investigated self-repair, though I did out of curiosity once upon a time with my PX and found that the battery was unavailable anywhere. B&W does offer a 25% discount on a trade-in replacement, but it's likely that by the time you would need that the general market discounts would eclipse that.

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #2,993 of 5,214
I also agree that battery is usually a non-issue, I do happen to be stuck with a wonky charging situation with my review unit (not covered by warranty), where It sometimes will not charge then goes into an accelerated discharge. I've learned how to force it back to normal, which takes a few minutes of my time now and then.

If I did have a warranty B&W would replace it but only as a send-and-wait service. They do not offer a battery replacement service and I have not investigated self-repair, though I did out of curiosity once upon a time with my PX and found that the battery was unavailable anywhere. B&W does offer a 25% discount on a trade-in replacement, but it's likely that by the time you would need that the general market discounts would eclipse that.
Zeppelin is also a diff class than any headphones. Speakers? Yeah those can last years and years. Headphones? By and large are designed for that. Yes, I know you will all have examples of cans you’ve had forever, but Bluetooth anc ones aren’t those. No matter how expensive.

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #2,995 of 5,214
When using the 3.5mm jack with my laptop I have an issue whereby in some songs the vocals go quiet for about half a second every 5 seconds or so. Seems to be be drowned our by the bass. Weirdly this doesn't happen at all when connected to Bluetooth. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #2,996 of 5,214
When using the 3.5mm jack with my laptop I have an issue whereby in some songs the corals go quiet for about half a second every 5 seconds or so. Seems to be be drowned our by the bass. Weirdly this doesn't happen at all when connected to Bluetooth. Any ideas?
No idea but why dont use USB-C to USB-C instead as this would give you better sound quality?

Jan 20, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #2,998 of 5,214
A USB A to USB C adapter/hub should solve the problem

Jan 20, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #3,000 of 5,214
Ok. Then I would recommend bluetooth over 3,5mm jack. Or buy a cheap USB-A to USB-C adapter.
The 3,5mm really just is for „emergencies“ on the Px8 isn’t it

It is USB-C > Bluetooth > >> 3,5mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back