Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Jan 18, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #2,971 of 5,212
Been listening to them for the last few hours. As far as my hypothesis that they would be better than my samsung galaxy 2 buds I was indeed correct. Couldn't find any comparison reviews for these 2 products online so this might be the first right here. You're welcome.

Interestingly lowering the bass on the EQ makes things worse to my very untrained ear. I'm currently listening to albums that I haven't bothered with for years and it's like a whole new experience. I'm starting to get what you mean by soundstage I think. It's like an immersive experience rather than something going on in the background. Been listening to the Smashing Pumpkins for the layering they put in their songs and it sounds amazing. Only disappointment was listening to one of my fave albums - The Stone Roses which sounded awful.

On another note, I love the tan colour and the white leather isn't white at all but grey so no worries about staining.
Enjoy the Px8 :)

Also, keep in mind that they really need time to properly burn in (as many B&W headphones I've used until today did). They will get even better after 60-100 hours. You'll see :)

Oh and does your pair have any visible wrinkles on the inner part of the headband? We've seen a couple of people mentioning it here so any feedback on tht (or even a picture) would be nice :) Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #2,972 of 5,212
Enjoy the Px8 :)

Also, keep in mind that they really need time to properly burn in (as many B&W headphones I've used until today did). They will get even better after 60-100 hours. You'll see :)

Oh and does your pair have any visible wrinkles on the inner part of the headband? We've seen a couple of people mentioning it here so any feedback on tht (or even a picture) would be nice :) Thanks!
Sure do! Nothing untoward, I guess they can't put the leather on too tight or it would stretch as you pull the earphones further apart and look even worse. My guess is it won't get any worse over time.

Attachments

• 20230118_151437.jpg
    20230118_151437.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230118_151502.jpg
    20230118_151502.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Jan 18, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #2,973 of 5,212
Sure do! Nothing untoward, I guess they can't put the leather on too tight or it would stretch as you pull the earphones further apart and look even worse. My guess is it won't get any worse over time.
Thank you! Appreciate it :)

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #2,974 of 5,212
Early on in the thread people were talking about Bluetooth codecs. My phone only supports standard aptx. Is it worth looking for a phone with the hd or adaptive version. To be completely honest I can't really tell much of a difference between the aptx and 3.5mm Jack in terms of sound quality so surely hd or adaptive won't sound better to me either? Are there other benefits to the newer codecs beyond sound quality?

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #2,975 of 5,212
Early on in the thread people were talking about Bluetooth codecs. My phone only supports standard aptx. Is it worth looking for a phone with the hd or adaptive version. To be completely honest I can't really tell much of a difference between the aptx and 3.5mm Jack in terms of sound quality so surely hd or adaptive won't sound better to me either? Are there other benefits to the newer codecs beyond sound quality?
Lower latency I guess but truthfully, anything on the flagship lines are probably going to have it as a feature going forward

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #2,976 of 5,212
Lower latency I guess but truthfully, anything on the flagship lines are probably going to have it as a feature going forward
Sounds like marginal gains then... maybe I'll just wait til my phone dies and I need a new one anyway. My biggest limiter is my hearing I think, kind of similar to the fact I can't discern HD from 4k on my TV which makes it pointless for my consumption.

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #2,977 of 5,212
Sounds like marginal gains then... maybe I'll just wait til my phone dies and I need a new one anyway. My biggest limiter is my hearing I think, kind of similar to the fact I can't discern HD from 4k on my TV which makes it pointless for my consumption.
If you can’t tell a difference, then who cares. By the time you are ready to upgrade your phone, there might be headphones in the Bluetooth space that make better use of the newer codecs anyways

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #2,978 of 5,212
If you can’t tell a difference, then who cares. By the time you are ready to upgrade your phone, there might be headphones in the Bluetooth space that make better use of the newer codecs anyways
There's that slippery slope we were talking about again... I want at least 3 years out of these PX8s before get any others. My wife is watching me very closely.

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #2,979 of 5,212
There's that slippery slope we were talking about again... I want at least 3 years out of these PX8s before get any others. My wife is watching me very closely.
Honestly, I use my iPhone to stream Apple Music on my PX8 and I'm extremely happy. I'm not much of a codec chasing guy. If it's tuned to my liking, has a great soundstage, clarity and instrument separation, I'm in. Besides, Tech moves so fast, knowing me me, I'll get a wild hair to purchase something else... which happens ever week! Ugh...

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #2,980 of 5,212
My wife is watching too!
Once hooked there’s no cure
Prepare for war

Any idea how long the battery will last with 8 hours use every day?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #2,981 of 5,212
Any idea how long the battery will last with 8 hours use dail?
My guess is that if you dont abuse it the battery will degrade 5-15% over the first 5 years and then slowly drop 1-2% per year. If you are asking how long it will take until it is completely dead and the headphone cannot even be used plugged in to USB it will take a long long time.

Much like the battery in an electric vehicle, dont charge to 100% and let it sit like that for weeks. Dont let it drain down to 1%. Try and keep it between 20-80% most of the time and youll be fine.

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #2,982 of 5,212
My guess is that if you dont abuse it the battery will degrade 5-15% over the first 5 years and then slowly drop 1-2% per year. If you are asking how long it will take until it is completely dead and the headphone cannot even be used plugged in to USB it will take a long long time.

Much like the battery in an electric vehicle, dont charge to 100% and let it sit like that for weeks. Dont let it drain down to 1%. Try and keep it between 20-80% most of the time and youll be fine.
Very true
Environmental conditions can shorten battery life
Batteries don’t like hot or cold weather

If you keep the charger low internal pollution of the chemicals is worse

Do B&W offer battery replacement?

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #2,983 of 5,212

Much like the battery in an electric vehicle, dont charge to 100% and let it sit like that for weeks. Dont let it drain down to 1%. Try and keep it between 20-80% most of the time and youll be

This is textbook advice although I am pretty sceptical based on personal experience. Take my phone for example - plugged in every night and charged to 100% and remaining on charge for 8 hours. Have drained to zero many times too. I still get roughly the same use out of one charge as I did 18 months ago.

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #2,985 of 5,212
Very true
Environmental conditions can shorten battery life
Batteries don’t like hot or cold weather

If you keep the charger low internal pollution of the chemicals is worse

Do B&W offer battery replacement?
B&W say the battery is non-replaceable but someone in a previous post put a link to a YouTube video showing that it clearly is. The battery is a generic type that is common and can be accessed by removing a few screws. No doubt warranty will be invalidated but will have almost certainly have expired by then anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back