Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 9, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #1,876 of 5,138
Resolve is very experienced and certainly knows what he's talking about, but the extremely negative experience that he had with the PX8 are, in my opinion, a red flag. I think most of the people in this thread who have listened to the PX8 find them to be far superior to $200 ANC headphones. But, if he says that that's what the sound he heard from them corresponds to, then I believe him.

That's what he heard, and the fact that it's so far off from what most others describe the PX8 to sound like tells me that there's likely some psychoacoustic issue at play here between his ears and the PX8. I certainly didn't hear anything in the treble that I found troubling. They're not bright headphones. If anything, I found the treble to be a bit polite.
Where I’m at is that it’s not a red flag, just an extreme preference. I’ve figured out that the high end technical reviewers all skew to a certain sound and it’s the opposite of the Px8. It’s fine. I’d call the Px8 the most detailed and nicest consumer tuned headphone.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #1,877 of 5,138
Good points. My situation is the following.
I already own the Bathys and think they are great.

Trying to buy a Birthday gift for my Son. I purchased Bathys for him on Monday and he said they have clamp force on his face, which is odd as he tried my Bathys last week. Typical teenager. I put the Bathys on ebay for only £499 as Shop only does store credit and they cannot get PX8.

Anyway i am now considering buying him the PX8 directly from from Bowers UK website, but don’t want to take a risk of them being too much in the treble.

The moral of this story is don’t have children, or kick em out when Teenagers
Clamping force is less on the PX8, but it is possible that the clamping force on your personal pair is lesser than a brand new pair.

Wouldn't consider the PX8 bright or piercing in the treble. They are a bit brighter with ANC off, but I haven't found them piercing. In general I find the Bathys brighter and more in risk being to much treble than the PX8.

Headphones is such a personal thing as the sound differs from head to head (FR variance) and some headphones have more variance. Best is to either try in a store or buy from someone who offers free return. In my country I can get my money back if I order over the web and ask for a return within 14 days.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #1,878 of 5,138
Good points. My situation is the following.
I already own the Bathys and think they are great.

Trying to buy a Birthday gift for my Son. I purchased Bathys for him on Monday and he said they have clamp force on his face, which is odd as he tried my Bathys last week. Typical teenager. I put the Bathys on ebay for only £499 as Shop only does store credit and they cannot get PX8.

Anyway i am now considering buying him the PX8 directly from from Bowers UK website, but don’t want to take a risk of them being too much in the treble.

The moral of this story is don’t have children, or kick em out when Teenagers
I have 3 kids at home ranging from 12 to 20, and the youngest is happy with anything, while the oldest is the most finicky thing I've ever encountered. So, I feel your pain, and joy, and everything else in between that kids make us feel.

Anyhow..I don't think you need to be worried about the treble bothering your son. If he objected to the clamping force of the Bathys, he may have the same issue with the PX8. If I remember correctly, the Bathys felt more comfortable initially, but less so after a while. For me, the PX8 are the opposite...a bit too snug at first, but they settle in nicely.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #1,879 of 5,138
Just use the B&W 30 day return policy? I can't imagine treble on PX8 being an issue, and you can EQ it down in the app. If he's comfortable with Bathys treble it's highly likely PX8 will be agreeable. Plus that way you can try the B&W headphones and we get to hear another opinion :)
That’s probably what I will do.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #1,880 of 5,138
I have 3 kids at home ranging from 12 to 20, and the youngest is happy with anything, while the oldest is the most finicky thing I've ever encountered. So, I feel your pain, and joy, and everything else in between that kids make us feel.

Anyhow..I don't think you need to be worried about the treble bothering your son. If he objected to the clamping force of the Bathys, he may have the same issue with the PX8. If I remember correctly, the Bathys felt more comfortable initially, but less so after a while. For me, the PX8 are the opposite...a bit too snug at first, but they settle in nicely.
Can i swap your youngest for my grumpy teenager

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #1,881 of 5,138
If your'e review where earlyer then i never would have bought the PX8, never ever. But i based my buying decision between Bathys and Px8 on @mainguy s honest review and bought the Px8. After a few weeks i couldn't be happier. The Px8 is "fast", fun and ticks the most boxes for me (convenience, sound, build-quality, etc.) i even sold my Focal clear for these because the clears are heavy, unconveniend, sound (even with DAC) only marginally better for me then the Px8. I even make the compromise to fold my big ears into the small cups of the Px8. All decisions buying a Headphone are compromises. Buying on sound and curves alone might get us so far as your review which -for me- is misleading and Hypersubjective. But thanks for trying.
Couldn't agree more; main guys review made me take the plunge; and I'm still smiling whenever I listen to music on them :)

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #1,882 of 5,138
Where I’m at is that it’s not a red flag, just an extreme preference. I’ve figured out that the high end technical reviewers all skew to a certain sound and it’s the opposite of the Px8. It’s fine. I’d call the Px8 the most detailed and nicest consumer tuned headphone.
He does have preferences, just like everyone else, but that's not what his reaction was about. He had an extremely negative reaction to the treble...to the point that he described it as unlistenable. There are plenty of other headphones that he's reviewed that are viewed by most as being bright, or as having treble spikes, yet I don't recall hearing him describe them as unlistenable. I've not seen or heard anyone else describe the PX8's treble as being close to any type of extreme. Not as extremely bright, nor as extremely dark...not even close. If anything, several have described it as being on the polite side, and possibly benifiting from a minor EQ adjustment to brighten it up a bit.

Such a strong reaction to an aspect of a headphone that practically no one else considered a serious problem would indicate to me that the problem is either with the specific PX8 that he listened to, or with his ears and the way that they interact with the PX8. Following this logic would lead me to believe that making a purchasing decision based on the impressions of the one person who seems to have the most extreme opinion of the PX8 to date would not be prudent. Hence, my red flag comment.

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #1,884 of 5,138
Anyone else feeling that their Px8 may be sounding even better after some burn-in? I have 30-40 hours with mine now and they are definitely feeling (even) more comfortable, but I cant help but feel as if they have opened up a bit. Never was a believer in burn in but even B&W themselves claim that they recommend around 50 hours before ”elements settle”…

What I am experiencing could of course be due to either the fit and seal improving or just imagination.

Thoughts?

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,885 of 5,138
Anyone else feeling that their Px8 may be sounding even better after some burn-in? I have 30-40 hours with mine now and they are definitely feeling (even) more comfortable, but I cant help but feel as if they have opened up a bit. Never was a believer in burn in but even B&W themselves claim that they recommend around 50 hours before ”elements settle”…

What I am experiencing could of course be due to either the fit and seal improving or just imagination.

Thoughts?
With B&W headphones I allways experienced burn in. If this is fact of improving seal and driver or other aspects I don’t know. I know it’s a myth for some but my mind and ears tell me different.

ps: tomorrow I’ll have bathys. Great Spanish company bought them today and will receive them tomorrow…

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #1,886 of 5,138
Why do people always jump to the notion of mechanical burn-in so quickly and easily? Is it so difficult to accept that your hearing brain circuits acclimates over time just like any sensory system subjected to a stimulus over an extended period of time? It is like smell people, at first you walk into somebody's house and the smell of their cat litter box in the basement hits you hard. After three hours in the house you notice it a lot less. That is how our brain works.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #1,887 of 5,138
With B&W headphones I allways experienced burn in. If this is fact of improving seal and driver or other aspects I don’t know. I know it’s a myth for some but my mind and ears tell me different.

ps: tomorrow I’ll have bathys. Great Spanish company bought them today and will receive them tomorrow…
@nunomeneses would welocme your comparative impressions of PX8 and Bathys!

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #1,888 of 5,138
Why do people always jump to the notion of mechanical burn-in so quickly and easily? Is it so difficult to accept that your hearing brain circuits acclimates over time just like any sensory system subjected to a stimulus over an extended period of time? It is like smell people, at first you walk into somebody's house and the smell of their cat litter box in the basement hits you hard. After three hours in the house you notice it a lot less. That is how our brain works.
It is not difficult to accept the fact that hesring acclimates over time.
It was just a simple question if anyone else experience the same. Especially as B&W themselves refer to mechanical burn in for the Px8…

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #1,889 of 5,138
It is not difficult to accept the fact that hesring acclimates over time.
It was just a simple question if anyone else experience the same. Especially as B&W themselves refer to mechanical burn in for the Px8…
Everyone here has that acceptance… I can tell you when i bought B&W PX had them for about 2 or 3 months and my brother asked me to order a pair for him. When they arrived i compared them and the controlled low end was one of the aspects the new pair didn’t have as good. Then a few months after i compared again the 2 pairs and they sounded just the same. So that’s why I believe some kind of burn in happens on B&W headphones. It happens a lot that the hearing brain tricks us about this and I accept it. But I also accept that in some cases something happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back