Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 8, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #1,846 of 5,138
Screenshot_20221108_222021_YouTube.jpg

Here's the FR graph from the DHRME comparison review. The highlighted one is the PX8, the red is the Bathys, and the green is the H95. Although I disagree with many of the conclusions that DHRME reached in their review, the graph is useful, and it is interesting to see how the PX8 FR compares directly to the other 2.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #1,847 of 5,138
Screenshot_20221108_222021_YouTube.jpg

Here's the FR graph from the DHRME comparison review. The highlighted one is the PX8, the red is the Bathys, and the green is the H95. Although I disagree with many of the conclusions that DHRME reached in their review, the graph is useful, and it is interesting to see how the PX8 FR compares directly to the other 2.
Did they say what rig that is?

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Nov 8, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #1,849 of 5,138
the APP2 are a far lower quality listening experience to PX8

true wireless just isn't there yet and I'm yet to try a pair that comes anywhere close to good wired iems or bluetooth over ear

To my ear the PX8 sounds significantly worse than even some sub $200 ANC headphones, maybe even lower.

And for me, after extensive comparisons, the APP 2 is clearly having better sound than the px8.

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #1,850 of 5,138
Hmm, they are saying the H95 beats out the PX8 in terms of sound quality. Can anyone that has both or has listened to both speak to this? I haven’t heard the H95 but have been curious as to how their sound compares to my PX8.
I only compared these briefly and in store, but I think they are very different. B&O brighter and with more ”sparkle” but I prefer the mids and timbre of B&W. To me the H95 should be compared to M&D MW75 or APM and I still think both Bathys and PX8 are significantly better.

I also disagree with many other things they said in the video, putting B&W last in both design, ANC and mic quality. Also they got the battery life of PX8 wrong at 25 hours.

Just too many weird statement in that review for me to take it seriously.

Nov 9, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #1,851 of 5,138
I used to own the H95 and personally think it’s in the same tier as the PX8 in terms of SQ. PX8 probably does have it beat on vocals and timbre though. Would definitely recommend trying the H95 for yourself if you can

Nov 9, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #1,853 of 5,138
Oh, I don't mean to suggest that exactly. To my ear the PX8 sounds significantly worse than even some sub $200 ANC headphones, maybe even lower. And I know that may sound scathing, but it's just my honest opinion of it. It's the particular peaks in the treble that make it totally unlistenable to me. I think maybe for folks who aren't bothered by those harmonic imbalances, or for those who have a particular HRTF where this kind of frequency response is more appropriate might find it okay. But for me it's a hard pass because of those issues, and those issues aren't present on the Momentum 4. And if folks here prefer the PX8, please don't let me rain on your parade. This is just one person's opinion, one person's ears, one person's HRTF.

EDIT: and just one other thing. Please don't mistake me for suggesting the Momentum 4 is amazing or putting it on a pedestal here. It's... decent. I would just take the sound of it over the PX8 without hesitation. I would choose the Bathys over both, but that's also because of my particular use case being very suitable to the wired USB DAC mode on the Bathys, and I do find it to be the more 'technical' sounding of the two.
Did you measure variance on both with different placements? Historically closed back headphones from Focal and B&W have had quite a bit of variance in the variance testing rtings does so it is likely that both Bathys and PX8 behave similar. If a headphone is sensitive to placement then there may be multiple FR response graphs that are all "correct" in terms of what a person might hear when using the headphones.

Nov 9, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #1,854 of 5,138
Did you measure variance on both with different placements? Historically closed back headphones from Focal and B&W have had quite a bit of variance in the variance testing rtings does so it is likely that both Bathys and PX8 behave similar. If a headphone is sensitive to placement then there may be multiple FR response graphs that are all "correct" in terms of what a person might hear when using the headphones.
I could wear the PX8 backwards and it would still sound waaaay better than “some sub 200$ ANC headphones”.
But some people even prefer in ear AirPods to the PX8, so what the hell do I know…

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #1,855 of 5,138
Oh, I don't mean to suggest that exactly. To my ear the PX8 sounds significantly worse than even some sub $200 ANC headphones, maybe even lower. And I know that may sound scathing, but it's just my honest opinion of it. It's the particular peaks in the treble that make it totally unlistenable to me. I think maybe for folks who aren't bothered by those harmonic imbalances, or for those who have a particular HRTF where this kind of frequency response is more appropriate might find it okay. But for me it's a hard pass because of those issues, and those issues aren't present on the Momentum 4. And if folks here prefer the PX8, please don't let me rain on your parade. This is just one person's opinion, one person's ears, one person's HRTF.

EDIT: and just one other thing. Please don't mistake me for suggesting the Momentum 4 is amazing or putting it on a pedestal here. It's... decent. I would just take the sound of it over the PX8 without hesitation. I would choose the Bathys over both, but that's also because of my particular use case being very suitable to the wired USB DAC mode on the Bathys, and I do find it to be the more 'technical' sounding of the two.

If your'e review where earlyer then i never would have bought the PX8, never ever. But i based my buying decision between Bathys and Px8 on @mainguy s honest review and bought the Px8. After a few weeks i couldn't be happier. The Px8 is "fast", fun and ticks the most boxes for me (convenience, sound, build-quality, etc.) i even sold my Focal clear for these because the clears are heavy, unconveniend, sound (even with DAC) only marginally better for me then the Px8. I even make the compromise to fold my big ears into the small cups of the Px8. All decisions buying a Headphone are compromises. Buying on sound and curves alone might get us so far as your review which -for me- is misleading and Hypersubjective. But thanks for trying.

Nov 9, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #1,857 of 5,138
Just got the PX8...bit confused.... with the usb cable connection I can't seem to get higher res than 48khz. With the headphone jack it goes up to 96kz (according to the lossless switcher app). Am using a MacBook Pro and Apple Music. Am I missing something? The Focal Bathys (I'll have to choose) goes up to 192khz.

Nov 9, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #1,858 of 5,138

That’s some really harsh and strange statements. I would consider replacing the unit may be defective… did you consider that?

Nov 9, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #1,859 of 5,138
This thread really is starting to lose its benefit if you ask me …………

Fortunately, we have many people who are very passionate about this hobby, their continued investments, their experience, their personal taste, their testing and their comparisons on what they own or have owned.

Unfortunately, either by loss in translation, cultural interpretation, ego... and mostly inherent audio subjectiveness, sometimes opinions are too firm or too undeniable.

I just encourage everyone to agree to disagree. An orange is an orange and, as wonderful as they may be, one will always taste sweeter to some than others. We can delve into “is it a good orange or a bad one?” or “how does that one compare to this one, in your opinion?”.

Respect is paramount.

I feed on ALL your opinions and if someone owns one of the few headphones I own, I will ask for a comparison opinion so I may be closer to a conclusion on my next “desire”. Or if someone buys “every driver that moves”, after reading many of their posts, I can grasp what is objective. I certainly cannot afford buying new cans every month, let alone every week. So keep agreeing to disagree. And definitely keep posting your opinions. Thanks to everyone.

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #1,860 of 5,138
Did they say what rig that is?
Not during the video. I'd have to try sending them a message to ask...but they may not be as good as you are in regards to responding to questions or giving feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back