Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 10, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #1,891 of 5,138
Why do people always jump to the notion of mechanical burn-in so quickly and easily? Is it so difficult to accept that your hearing brain circuits acclimates over time just like any sensory system subjected to a stimulus over an extended period of time? It is like smell people, at first you walk into somebody's house and the smell of their cat litter box in the basement hits you hard. After three hours in the house you notice it a lot less. That is how our brain works.
Why are some people so resistant to the idea that there are some minor physical changes as a headphone driver wears in? I can't think of any other mechanical device that doesn't experience some sort of physical change after prolonged usage. Mechanical things wear in, aka are broken in, and then wear out after much use. Regarding headphones, I've noticed that the only ones that I notice a minor, yet still audible difference in are ones that use drivers with more traditional speaker like surrounds.

That all being said, "brain burn in" is also very real. Like in most other things in life, it isn't all of one, and none of the other. Few things are truly binary. There is definitely brain burn in, and also some physical burn in. The magnitude of the effect on sound of physical burn in seems to have some correlation to the type of driver used, and to the materials that a driver is composed of.

And no, I don't have extensive scientific data to back these statements up, or a tidy scientific study that I can hyperlink to. These are just my views, which were shaped by knowledge and logic, and reenforced by experience. Although I will admit that my ability to be so open minded about the concept of physical burn in was helped along by my being given the opportunity to compare my "burned in" example of the P9 to a freshly unboxed one back in 2017, and the same with my Elegia about 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #1,892 of 5,138
Hello guys, some final thoughts here

When I got the px8, I thought of one of my headphones, the clear mg. I was very busy in those few days and didn't have time to make a comparison, but after a few days, my px8 was returned to b&w for replacement, because it was determined that the battery could not be fully charged, and it was always around 47%. But b&w didn't have enough stock for me to replace so I didn't get my new px8 until yesterday

Clear mg is really expensive in China. When I bought it, it was about 10,000 (1400usd) RMB. Now it costs about 8,500. My Arya and d9200 are only 13,000rmb(1800usd) in total.

Comparison
(All comparisons are made in px8 using type-c to connect my MacBook, without eq, ANC off, and the volume of both headphones is relatively high. It should be noted that not all devices have the same effect of type-c connection to px8. My friend uses a digital player to connect to px8, and the sound is much lower than that of Bluetooth, but when connected to a PC, the volume of type-c is obviously greater than that of Bluetooth, and it is weird. Yes, after connecting to the computer and then connecting to the same digital player via type-c, the volume will return to normal (louder than Bluetooth))
I can be sure that ANC will increase the bass of the px8, very obviously. And again I can be sure that px8 does change the sound to some extent by moving the px8 on my head. It was so much fun, it felt like I was changing the amp card.

I've always felt that the clear mg is a b&w-like focal headphone (should not say that, as many models of Denon and JVC have similar expressions), they are the kind of sound in your head, and more emphasis on the mids, smooth and thick at the same time.

The soundstage of the clear mg is relatively small in the open-back headphones I've used, it gathers the whole ability around you instead of radiating it out, which is a presentation I really like because I like pop, vocals, R&B, and even some “small concerts” (w/t/f google?) are very suitable for this expression. So from a technical point of view, I didn't notice that the soundstage boundary of the clear mg is larger than that of the px8 in terms of left-right, but it does have a little bit more depth and feeling of an open-backed headphone that radiates the sound around (relatively). At the same time, clear mg will indeed appear crisper, and the details will be expressed more. The mid and low frequencies of the px8 are a little bit thicker with a slightly more smooth feeling texture. So some reviewers, whether it is Chinese or English, say that clear mg sounds muddy, so it is not surprising that the px8 is muddier (lol). Always keep in mind that what is a thick midrange for some people may be a thin midrange for you. I really don't want to discuss too many details of the sound in English, if in Chinese I could write several articles, so forgive me. I think the high-frequency energy of the clear mg is stronger, but the px8 has no obvious regression here, just a balance of smoothness and brightness, again, any change in volume will change my evaluation of this aspect. (see volume part)

--- I was going to use the word punchy to describe mg but still the same song "无由颂" by howie lee, the bass of px8 is obviously more powerful than that of mg, Moreover, the px8 has a natural reverberation after a drum beat, and the clear mg expression is not obvious (sub-bass?)
If you don't feel it, it's time to take off your glasses or adjust your fit(fit really really really matters for all px series, In fact, my original intention of creating the headfi account was just to ask if px7 has fixed the problem that px wearing glasses seriously affects the sound.)
--- The Curse by Agnes obel, I can say that I haven't heard any headphones that can beat the px8's vocals and cello in this song.
just two brief examples

Here to express my core idea, I have a strong tolerance for "muddy", because I think a good "muddy" will set off the whole emotion and atmosphere, which is a very wonderful thing.

Highs, Volume, and Conclusion

As for the high frequency of px8, is there a problem?
I don't think so, The high frequency of the px8 is bright enough for me to appreciate all high-frequency sounds, the only thing I can explain is the problem of frequency masking. The strong presence of the mid-low frequency makes the high frequency of the px8 not prominent, and even some details are masked, and it is more obvious when listening at low volume, but I never think that the px8 lacks the exciting high frequency. What I've always expressed, it's a trade-off, not a flaw. And strangely, in some tracks, I think clear mg would be brighter, but some tracks do the opposite (maybe due to the different volume balance, I don't know).

So long story short, I don't think clear mg is a clear winner, not at all. they are expressed differently under the same philosophy. But the clear mg is indeed slightly crisp for those who like this kind of sound, but don't put too much emphasis on the low and medium frequencies, also mg is indeed a little bit more transparent & open headphone(depending on your DACs/AMPs). But in terms of atmosphere, mid-frequency texture, and timbre, I think px8 wins without a doubt for me. I don't recommend anyone impulse buy the px8 or any headset, because disappointment is always the norm for first encounters.

(Maybe this type of comparison is very meaningless to many people
Wired to Bluetooth?
Open-back vs. closed-back?
umm, it's really different for a planar like Arya, but clear mg, it really sounds like this.)
I never think that the so-called best Bluetooth headphones, the best ANC headphones, for me, what sounds good is good, if you want to get an unparalleled experience on a high-end headset, then you also have to spend unparalleled money (DAC\AMP, etc)

Very noteworthy, at least for me, I can confirm that the px series does need a slightly louder volume to fully appreciate its sound. But because the sound of b&w is smooth and dense, it will not be uncomfortable to listen to at a slightly higher volume. Low volume b&w will appear hollow in the mid-low frequency, and the high frequency will not come out. Once the volume hits the threshold, it will have a new look. I'm not saying that the px series can't be listened to at low volume, I can totally live with it, just an opinion for those who listen to the px series for the first time. In fact, such high-density earphones usually need to increase the volume a little for a more comfortable listening experience. (like my JVC IEMs)
I also felt that px8 volume adjustment is not linear if you look closely, and the volume change of some levels will be larger.

Some crap
I was going to take the d9200 out for a comparison with the px8, but given the thread's current state, I decided not to. And I have always thought that the high frequency of the d9200 has some very annoying problems(Si/Ci/sibilance?), and I have been unable to listen for a long time. There are many people on the Chinese Internet who have pointed out the high-frequency problem of the d9200, but it seems that this problem is not clearly expressed in the headfi. (maybe I don't see it much), so the comparison is actually not good in this case where I presume "don't like it". But overall the d9200 is still very good.

In my aesthetic preference, I always think that the mids and timbre of the px8 are my favorites out of my collection.
I never hide my love for px8, like "we communists never hide our political views", I'm not a communist, it's just a joke.
And the first song "无由颂", English is “praise without reason".

Many people like to say that if you like the larger soundstage, choose this one, and if you like the intimate one, choose this one. In fact, even the sound of "in your head" has a lot of variety. Clear mg and px8, for example, have very different midrange textures, differences in these textures actually really matter!

After all, headphones are not speakers. The head effect is there. To make the soundstage of the headphones sound wide, the frequency response must be adjusted, which can easily destroy the balance, such as excessive high frequency/UHF and depressed midrange/mid-high frequency, and over-tuned may create a deformed soundstage, like the old Arya, such headphones abound on the high-end market. In other words, high-density and intimate sound, although not completely incompatible with a large soundstage, is often antagonistic. Similarly, I basically do not discuss the analysis or details, because it is actually a trick of play with frequencies. Compared with the d7200, the d9200 has a very good resolution, and a clearer and brighter sound, but it is the result of seriously increasing the extremely high frequency, and its hearing resistance (w/t/f google?) is actually not as good as the d7200.

Finally, some attitude speeches. I will not participate in any discussions under diametrically opposed comments, because benign discussions have always been carried out with different ideas under roughly the same understanding, rather than life-and-death situations with great differences, just like communism and capitalism, The deadline for the debate is when one of these systems perishes.

There is a Chinese idiom "鸡同鸭讲" (a talk between chicken and duck/dialogue of the deaf/Gai tung aap gong)
There is also a saying "百花齐放,百家争鸣" (letting a hundred flowers bloom and a hundred schools of thought contend)

Ok, writing reviews in English is very painful for me, and I'm leaving right away.

Maybe see you guys in the px8s2 and px9 threads

bye.

Attachments

• DSCF8165.jpg
    DSCF8165.jpg
    817.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF8183 1.jpg
    DSCF8183 1.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF8111.jpg
    DSCF8111.jpg
    916.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #1,893 of 5,138
So I was at a live concert yesterday. I was at the front of the venue, in front of the stage. At some point I had to go to the back for drinks and a fitting analogy hit me for the Bathys vs PX8 sound discussion which I just had to share.
The PX8 is the sound in front of the stage, while the Bathys is like being at the back getting drinks. In the front the music hits you in your face and grabs you by your troth while at the back it's all the more gentle, and you can hear everything better as it's not so much in your face and spread out a bit more evenly.

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #1,894 of 5,138
So I was at a live concert yesterday. I was at the front of the venue, in front of the stage. At some point I had to go to the back for drinks and a fitting analogy hit me for the Bathys vs PX8 sound discussion which I just had to share.
The PX8 is the sound in front of the stage, while the Bathys is like being at the back getting drinks. In the front the music hits you in your face and grabs you by your troth while at the back it's all the more gentle, and you can hear everything better as it's not so much in your face and spread out a bit more evenly.
Get your point. So for all of us who appreciate front row seats, PX8 is the way to go :)

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #1,895 of 5,138
I got the Bathys and the PX8 (since a few days) and I cannot make up my mind which one to choose. I am no audiophile, but I do do a lot of active listening (I am no good at doing two things at the same time) and 90% of my music is classical. I listen at my desk/lazy chair via my macbook so am fine with a cable, but I do want noise cancelling to block the noisy family out and transparency mode for when I want to listen to music and still be ‘available’.

Bathys pros: wired sound is great. It might be just 10-20% better than BT but it's worth it. Detailed, clear. Might EQ the bass up a little and lower the treble a touch. Sounds better (clearer, detailed) than PX8 for most classical music such as harp, choral, Bach. Nice big ear cups. Music sounds wider.

Bathys cons: after 30 mins the top of my head starts hurting. The transparency mode is unusable for listening to music as there is so much white noise, it's awful. In dac mode the balance goes off all the time, needed a balance-lock app to fix it. Stravinsky sounds better on the PX8. Quite thumpy when walking.

PX8 pros: much, much more comfortable on top of head. Buttons much easier to use and better quality. Better BT connectivity. Transparency mode much better and usable. Less thumping when walking. Gorgeous warm, full and 'nearby' sound.

PX8 cons: ear cups a bit small and gets a little uncomfortable after a while. Wired mode hardly makes a difference, so no high-res mode. Slightly less clear in choral and harp music, but great for Stravinsky. I can hear my heart-beat which is slightly annoying.

I can only keep one... and I have no idea which one. The Bathys is clearer and has more detail, especially in DAC mode, so I should like it better, but I am being swayed by the lovely warm timbre and easier-listening of the PX8. Wish I could merge them. Bathys' pain on the head is a thing, but the great sound quality counts too (maybe I can find some foam pads or something). PX8 seems easier to use and has a very persuasive sound.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #1,896 of 5,138
I got the Bathys and the PX8 (since a few days) and I cannot make up my mind which one to choose. I am no audiophile, but I do do a lot of active listening (I am no good at doing two things at the same time) and 90% of my music is classical. I listen at my desk/lazy chair via my macbook so am fine with a cable, but I do want noise cancelling to block the noisy family out and transparency mode for when I want to listen to music and still be ‘available’.

Bathys pros: wired sound is great. It might be just 10-20% better than BT but it's worth it. Detailed, clear. Might EQ the bass up a little and lower the treble a touch. Sounds better (clearer, detailed) than PX8 for most classical music such as harp, choral, Bach. Nice big ear cups. Music sounds wider.

Bathys cons: after 30 mins the top of my head starts hurting. The transparency mode is unusable for listening to music as there is so much white noise, it's awful. In dac mode the balance goes off all the time, needed a balance-lock app to fix it. Stravinsky sounds better on the PX8. Quite thumpy when walking.

PX8 pros: much, much more comfortable on top of head. Buttons much easier to use and better quality. Better BT connectivity. Transparency mode much better and usable. Less thumping when walking. Gorgeous warm, full and 'nearby' sound.

PX8 cons: ear cups a bit small and gets a little uncomfortable after a while. Wired mode hardly makes a difference, so no high-res mode. Slightly less clear in choral and harp music, but great for Stravinsky. I can hear my heart-beat which is slightly annoying.

Px8 wired with a jack gives up to 92khz, and usb-c up to 48khz according to lossless switcher app - which does not actually switch with the PX8- on my MacBook but not sure I can hear it. I can only keep one... and I have no idea which one. The Bathys is clearer and has more detail, especially in DAC mode, so I should like it better, but I am being swayed by the lovely warm timbre and easier-listening of the PX8. Wish I could merge them. Bathys' pain on the head is a thing, but the great sound quality counts too (maybe I can find some foam pads or something). PX8 seems easier to use and has a very persuasive sound.
For what its worth…
Bathys stupid headband design can be fixed with an (ugly) cushioning cover. Ridiculous in this price range but works.
PX8 fit, especially the ear cups, improved for me after a few days of wearing. I have glasses and maybe the need to form a little after the temples. I am so happy that the PX8 went from being ”just comfy” to ”feeling cloud-like, matching Bose Qc35”. For me.

As for the sound… I found Bathys to be more detailed, but the timbre and overall presentation of PX8 to be more enjoyable for casual listening. They sound better with more genres and inspire me to listen to good music, not just good recordings.

Anyway - sound will not matter if the pressure from the headphones give you a headache.

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #1,898 of 5,138
For what its worth…
Bathys stupid headband design can be fixed with an (ugly) cushioning cover. Ridiculous in this price range but works.
PX8 fit, especially the ear cups, improved for me after a few days of wearing. I have glasses and maybe the need to form a little after the temples. I am so happy that the PX8 went from being ”just comfy” to ”feeling cloud-like, matching Bose Qc35”. For me.

As for the sound… I found Bathys to be more detailed, but the timbre and overall presentation of PX8 to be more enjoyable for casual listening. They sound better with more genres and inspire me to listen to good music, not just good recordings.

Anyway - sound will not matter if the pressure from the headphones give you a headache.
What cushioning do you use On Bathys?

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #1,899 of 5,138
Did they say what rig that is?
In their latest video, they said they use the miniDSP EARS.

EDIT: Nevermind, I spoke too soon. That's what they used in the past. They now use the 3DIO FS Pro II.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #1,900 of 5,138
What cushioning do you use On Bathys?
I dont since I returned them.
But something like the ZMF Pilot or Co-pilot could work (I have not measured these).
Or just try with something soft first, see if it helps. A sock :)
Just a shame that the French designer f-d up basic ergonomics in a 799 dollar headphone.

PX8 is significantly better as long as your ears fit into the cups. On the other hand it took B&W more than 10 attempts to get it right. Some of their earlier models are beautiful industrial design pieces - until you put them on…

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #1,901 of 5,138
I dont since I returned them.
But something like the ZMF Pilot or Co-pilot could work (I have not measured these).
Or just try with something soft first, see if it helps. A sock :)
Just a shame that the French designer f-d up basic ergonomics in a 799 dollar headphone.

PX8 is significantly better as long as your ears fit into the cups. On the other hand it took B&W more than 10 attempts to get it right. Some of their earlier models are beautiful industrial design pieces - until you put them on…
This! The OG PX had pads with rims so thin that it felt like I was strapping wine glasses to my head. And the P9 is a beautiful, ergonomic mess. Even after breaking them in to the point where they're literally breaking, they're still not comfortable enough for me to use for more than 30 minutes without taking short breaks.

I would love to see B&W take all that they've learned, and apply it to a new P9 S2. A wired headphone that keeps the incredible technical abilities of the OG P9, and combines them with the comfort and build of the PX8, with tuning inspired by a combination of the sound of the PX8 and P7W.

I would buy that sight unseen the moment I finished trying to explain to my wife why it would be worth whatever they would choose to charge for it, and why I NEED it...and then inevitably still ending up having to resort to the usual bribery that typically involves buying her an expensive purse or some other expensive designer label fashion accessory.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #1,902 of 5,138
Double post

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #1,903 of 5,138
This! The OG PX had pads with rims so thin that it felt like I was strapping wine glasses to my head. And the P9 is a beautiful, ergonomic mess. Even after breaking them in to the point where they're literally breaking, they're still not comfortable enough for me to use for more than 30 minutes without taking short breaks.

I would love to see B&W take all that they've learned, and apply it to a new P9 S2. A wired headphone that keeps the incredible technical abilities of the OG P9, and combines them with the comfort and build of the PX8, with tuning inspired by a combination of the sound of the PX8 and P7W.

I would buy that sight unseen the moment I finished trying to explain to my wife why it would be worth whatever they would choose to charge for it, and why I NEED it...and then resorting to the usual bribery that typically involves buying her an expensive purse or some other expensive designer label fashion accessory.
Ahahahaa I hear you.
I actually managed to upgrade twice from the original PX to the PX7 and now to the PX8 without the wife noticing - but the P9 she would have spotted for sure. As much as i wanted it, it was always too uncomforable for me.

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #1,904 of 5,138

Px8 wired with a jack gives up to 92khz, and usb-c up to 48khz according to lossless switcher app (which only switches with the jack)- on my MacBook but not sure I can hear it - maybe a 5% improvement?

I can only keep one... and I have no idea which one. The Bathys is clearer and has more detail, especially in DAC mode, so I should like it better, but I am being swayed by the lovely warm timbre and easier-listening of the PX8. Wish I could merge them. Bathys' pain on the head is a thing, but the great sound quality counts too (maybe I can find some foam pads or something). PX8 seems easier to use and has a very persuasive sound.
Keeping both is the best way to chose :) Unless you feel one is significantly better than the other when it comes to sound and usability then keep the more comfortable one. Comfort can't be underestimated when it comes to headphones. If a headphone is not comfortable then it's use will be limited no matter how good it sounds.

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #1,905 of 5,138
Ahahahaa I hear you.
I actually managed to upgrade twice from the original PX to the PX7 and now to the PX8 without the wife noticing - but the P9 she would have spotted for sure. As much as i wanted it, it was always too uncomforable for me.
I envy you. My wife is very quick to spot "upgrades"...even when they're similar in appearance. I've learned she gets over it faster if I do get permission ahead of time.

The P9 is a very conflicting headphone...and not one that is easily appreciated. It does a lot of things wrong. It's expensive, uncomfortable, and has a very questionable tuning.

But, the few things that it does well, it does so in such a spectacular fashion that, for me, it was well worth the $900 USD. A properly EQ'd P9 being fed lossless music from a source with good synergy is pure magic...and does a few things that no other headphone under $1,000 can come close to doing. The PX8 gives a small taste of some of those things, with better tuning, and far better comfort...but, it still falls short.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back