Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 2, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #1,607 of 5,141
I always believed it is good practice to charge lithium batteries long becore they get too low, and tend to try to keep my px 7, and my mobile phone, between 35 - 85%. I have heard that running a battery too low can lead to early disintegration and greatly lowers the life expectancy of the battery.

Yes, I'm agree with you and I mentioning before that I always trying recharging when battery is about 30% remaining. Only this first time (I doing the same with h95's battery first time) I using the battery until is dead for the purpose of science, meaning I'm testing the battery life and seeing if what manufacturer is saying is true or not.

I remember some years ago with Sennheiser MTW2 IEMs that battery life is very poor and far from what Seenheiser is saying.

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #1,608 of 5,141
Yes, I'm agree with you and I mentioning before that I always trying recharging when battery is about 30% remaining. Only this first time (I doing the same with h95's battery first time) I using the battery until is dead for the purpose of science, meaning I'm testing the battery life and seeing if what manufacturer is saying is true or not.

I remember some years ago with Sennheiser MTW2 IEMs that battery life is very poor and far from what Seenheiser is saying.
Cool, i was wondering if that was what you were doing, just testing it for the first time. I might be temlted with trying rhese headpho es if they are reduced in price on black friday.

Nov 3, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #1,609 of 5,141
Have you tried a bit of EQ as @angelom and others have suggested?
I never use EQ… if the default tuning of a headphone doesn’t match with my preferences that’s no problem: there are so many models available, I’ll just try another one.

Even if I wanted to use EQ, the 2-band implementation here is a bit crude… I assume it’s stored in the headphone at least?

Nov 3, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #1,610 of 5,141
I never use EQ… if the default tuning of a headphone doesn’t match with my preferences that’s no problem: there are so many models available, I’ll just try another one.

Even if I wanted to use EQ, the 2-band implementation here is a bit crude… I assume it’s stored in the headphone at least?
I also try to avoid eq but sometimes it can make a good headphone sound just a little bit better. The PX8 don’t need any eq to fit my preference, but it is possible to adjust in quite small increments at least. And yes, the eq is stored in the device so could set and forget and even delete the app.

Regarding the availability of models, well if youre anything like me and picky with both SQ, build, comfort, features and ANC I would argue that there are only a handful of wireless choices in the same league as PX8 (Bathys, 5909 and maybe one or two more). If you, on the other hand can compromise on SQ or a few other things it is of course a different story.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #1,611 of 5,141
Locomotive by guns n’ roses on these really give you the energy, the drums, the guitar, the pace … I’m in heaven with a smile
Yeah this is the kind of music that sounds awfully messy on poor headphones.
Overall I think the PX8 does a really good job with metal, rock, grunge and basically anything with electric guitars.
I am happy with the way B&W managed to tune these puppies to be both very detailed AND forgiving with crappy recordings, something that I think is very rare.

Nov 3, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #1,612 of 5,141
This thread make me rediscover my P9 and my appreciation for it :D
For the ones that tested both, how does the PX8 behave in terms of room and separation compared to the P9?

Let me explain, I would not say the P9 has a huge soundstage, however instruments sounds well separated and there is "air" in the sound.
It is not a clinical sound, but more like a relaxed experience with this cool effect that made me prefer it over the P7w back then: it seems that you are in a room, with the sound diffusing around you. I don't know how to call it, good stereo separation and imaging?

The H95 sounds really good to me, and probably has more soundstage than the P9 + is very versatile thanks to its EQ. However it still lacks of this "room effect" and instrument separation

So how would you compare PX8 and P9 in this regard?

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #1,613 of 5,141
For the ones that tested both, how does the PX8 behave in terms of room and separation compared to the P9?

Let me explain, I would not say the P9 has a huge soundstage, however instruments sounds well separated and there is "air" in the sound.
It is not a clinical sound, but more like a relaxed experience with this cool effect that made me prefer it over the P7w back then: it seems that you are in a room, with the sound diffusing around you. I don't know how to call it, good stereo separation and imaging?

The H95 sounds really good to me, and probably has more soundstage than the P9 + is very versatile thanks to its EQ. However it still lacks of this "room effect" and instrument separation

Maybe I'm not best person for answering your question because I don't liking the P9 sound at all and returning very quickly, I always preferring the p7w sound and I still owning this headphone.

You will liking the px8 for sure because is more or less sharing tonal balance with p7w but is having a better driver and is having better low end extension (but for me p7w having better treble balance).

The good news, and I really must insisting here, is that the EQ, even with its limitations, is very good / responsive (right now my setting is +1.5 treble and -1.5 bass).

I saying this before to other person living in England, and you're in UK too, that you can ordering directly from b&w and have 30 days of free trying. Many people in the world don't having this possibility.

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #1,614 of 5,141

I guess few people have the luxury of owning both of these headphones at the same time, maybe @mainguy can share his thoughts on this.
From memory I would say that P9 clearly sounds like a "bigger" headphone (which it is) and with excellent stereo separation and layering.
The PX8 is also very good in this regard but I would guess at a direct comparison the P9 has a slight advantage. On the other hand, I think I like the balanced sound signature of the PX8 more. It is by no means a "better" headphone than the P9, but it offers a solid alternative that has been missing in B&Ws lineup.

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #1,615 of 5,141

I can test this later tonight if you like, particularly instrument seperation?

I have compared them for fun. The P9 sounds wider and grander than the PX8 by a good margin. Mid range has even more presence, it's more detailed, noticeably, and separates instruments in space more. That said the P9 bass is overbearing without EQ for me on some tracks, the PX8 doesn't have this issue.

I left the comparison feeling like the PX8 took the fun sound signature of the P7w and then made it halfway to the P9 in technical performance, splitting the difference. I think B&W realised the P9 is still a notch above, hence the naming convention. I did try the H95 the other day and I think the PX8 has a much better mid range performance, very noticeably on vocals.

Nov 3, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #1,616 of 5,141
Thank you for all you comments! Much appreciated

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #1,617 of 5,141
Well, first time in a while that I have had headphone issues, but thought to post. I have to send mine back after working with support. They won't talk to the app properly. Tried on 4 different devices with multiple iterations of resets and downloads (iOS and Android) and flakey would be a nice description. Bluetooth has been rock solid though. (cries a little).

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #1,618 of 5,141
Well, first time in a while that I have had headphone issues, but thought to post. I have to send mine back after working with support. They won't talk to the app properly. Tried on 4 different devices with multiple iterations of resets and downloads (iOS and Android) and flakey would be a nice description. Bluetooth has been rock solid though. (cries a little).
I use the app to change the device name, played around with some eq, set it back to flat, made sure to set my iPhone higher in multipoint priority than my iPad and then I will never ever need it again.

And oh, I am not getting the proximity sensors to work well. That is a way bigger issue than the app being a bit finicky.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #1,619 of 5,141
I use the app to change the device name, played around with some eq, set it back to flat, made sure to set my iPhone higher in multipoint priority than my iPad and then I will never ever need it again.

And oh, I am not getting the proximity sensors to work well. That is a way bygger issue than the app being a bit finicky.
Yep, I agree with you on the importance of the app. I don't really use it much, but would like it to work since I tweaked the EQ a bit. It's also handy for version/serial #s etc.

Nov 3, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #1,620 of 5,141
Thank you for all you comments! Much appreciated
P9 vs PX8 - Comparison

Guns n Roses - Sweet Child o Mine

Main riff has more presence and resolution on the P9, similar sound signature on both.
The vocals on P9 are more detailed and more open sounding, PX8 sounds less resolved and ever so slightly raspy in comparison.
Rythym guitar parts have more presence on the P9 and sound more detailed, this goes for any of the ambient effects which appear in the song.
Overall presentation on the P9 is bigger and more impressive.

Lana Del Rey - Born to Die

P9 bass is much more enveloping and impressive, the way the sound surrounds you is very immersive, PX8 sounds small in comparison.
PX8 bass feels like a mini P9, and instead of coming from all around, it has a definite source in the stage. To me in this song, the bass is far more impressive and just plain awesome on the P9. You might think it might just be overbearing or take up more space in the mix, but actually the details and vocals both sound more present on the P9 too.
The main vocal is more open and bigger sounding on P9, it sounds more detailed. The strings accompying the vocal are more resolved on the P9 and sound more natural.

For this track I genuinely felt PX8 is just like a baby P9, it's a similar presentation but P9 just ups the anti in a big way.

Grimes - My Name is Dark

Right off the bat this sounds a lot more visceral and impressive in terms of scale on the P9. The way the bass feels the space and the instrumental in the intro dances in the soundstage is entrancing on the P9, on the PX8 the bass has less thunder and the instrumental is simultaneously less present and resolved.

The PX8 seems to have a smaller stage from which the sound originates. On the P9, the vocals have their own location in the stage and things are seperated in space like the Bathys, but moreso.

Many details on this song appear more resolved and separated in the stage on the P9.

PX8 timbre is very similar to P9, which is high praise. Again, PX8 feels like a baby P9 here. It's portable counterpart.

Hans Zimmer - Dream is Collapsing (Inception)

Wow. Here the ability of the P9 to create something momentous and grand really comes through, the crashing sounds, the strings, this sound has immense scale on the P9 which when you switch to the PX8 becomes obvious. The latter is far more constained in its presentation, as is the Bathys, or any bT headphone I have. It's not just the size of the stage, but the wait of the notes.

Instruments feel more open on the P9. Whatever you have on the PX8 it is just more developed and detailed on the P9.

Conclusion
There is something about the tonality of the PX8 that I really love, that the P9 doesn't have. It's that P7w fun factor. P9 sounds darker, more foreboding and massive, but it is technically at another level and a really nice desk experience that takes much of what the PX8 does best and ramps it up. I can't see someone liking the PX8 and not the P9, fundamentally there is a similar balance, the B&W house sound is there, but you just get a more refined, detailed and expansive sound. I must admit until I sat down properly to do this I forgot how much I love the P9. For the price it's an insane headphone in a lot of ways.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back