Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 2, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #1,576 of 5,212
Thanks for this. Would you say there's still a decent sense of depth / layering with the PX8?
Well this is very subjective of course but yes. Provided that my interpretation of your use of ”depth” is correct, I would say that PX8 is adequate here. On ”layering” I think the PX8 has excellent separation and you can definitely hear what is going on.

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #1,577 of 5,212
Since I'm still pondering wether to keep the Px8 I dug out my APM today, which I rarely use -- another reason why I'm still considering if the Px8 is allowed to stay: I already have a not quite cheap wireless over-ear headphone lying around mostly unused...

And interestingly I have to admit that the APM caters more to my personal preferences soundwise than the Px8. The APM offers a bit more treble (though I still think there's a slight tendency to hardness in the upper mids) and digs down deeper more freely. Mids on the Px8 are nice, bit I'm missing treble a bit, at least in direct comparison which doesn't say much about everyday use since it tends to exaggerate minor differences. The APM also feels more spacious to me, where the Px8 is more intimate. This is with both connected to an iPhone using AAC obviously, my main use case.

Switching back to the M-100 still gives me the most fun presentation... yes, its wired. No, I don't mind much if at all. One thing less to keep charged...

Things I really like about the Px8:
* Looks. The 007 color is keeping a very nice balance between not black and too splashy, the red accent is nice.
* Build quality. It feels good in hand (despite the fact that the cups don't swivel to the same extent somehow
* Comfort. Feels nice on the head, cups are deep enough, the leather is soft and supple, the memory foam well balanced.

Regarding ANC it's not a contest, the APM wins hands down. I don't have a strong need for that though, the passive isolation of e.g. The M-100 is sufficient for me even on the underground. Head detection works flawlessly with the APM, while I did not even test it on the Px8 after reading others experiences. I don't need that either.

Overall I think the Px8 is going back, sad as that makes me. I think it would spend most of its time unused until I would decide to sell it at a loss... which is a waste in every dimension... its a nice headphone that should go to someone who actually uses it.

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #1,578 of 5,212
Since I'm still pondering wether to keep the Px8 I dug out my APM today, which I rarely use -- another reason why I'm still considering if the Px8 is allowed to stay: I already have a not quite cheap wireless over-ear headphone lying around mostly unused...

And interestingly I have to admit that the APM caters more to my personal preferences soundwise than the Px8. The APM offers a bit more treble (though I still think there's a slight tendency to hardness in the upper mids) and digs down deeper more freely. Mids on the Px8 are nice, bit I'm missing treble a bit, at least in direct comparison which doesn't say much about everyday use since it tends to exaggerate minor differences. The APM also feels more spacious to me, where the Px8 is more intimate. This is with both connected to an iPhone using AAC obviously, my main use case.

Switching back to the M-100 still gives me the most fun presentation... yes, its wired. No, I don't mind much if at all. One thing less to keep charged...

* Looks. The 007 color is keeping a very nice balance between not black and too splashy, the red accent is nice.
* Build quality. It feels good in hand (despite the fact that the cups don't swivel to the same extent somehow
* Comfort. Feels nice on the head, cups are deep enough, the leather is soft and supple, the memory foam well balanced.

Regarding ANC it's not a contest, the APM wins hands down. I don't have a strong need for that though, the passive isolation of e.g. The M-100 is sufficient for me even on the underground. Head detection works flawlessly with the APM, while I did not even test it on the Px8 after reading others experiences. I don't need that either.

Overall I think the Px8 is going back, sad as that makes me. I think it would spend most of its time unused until I would decide to sell it at a loss... which is a waste in every dimension... its a nice headphone that should go to someone who actually uses it.
Have you tried upping the treble in the eq by +3 or even +4? That might brighten it up enough to outclass the APM

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #1,579 of 5,212

I too have the APM and am trying to weigh up whether the PX8 is a big enough improvement sonically to grab one, so this was useful - thanks

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #1,580 of 5,212

Thanks for this I found it useful as I am looking for a new ANC headphone.
I have narrowed it down to 2 and at present the PX8 is ahead of the Bathys......but the APM is the elephant in the room if you like. I will use them exclusively with my IPhone and will always be wireless. So I do wonder whether using the whole Apple ecosystem will be best for me

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #1,581 of 5,212
I have narrowed it down to 2 and at present the PX8 is ahead of the Bathys......but the APM is the elephant in the room if you like. I will use them exclusively with my IPhone and will always be wireless. So I do wonder whether using the whole Apple ecosystem will be best for me
I think for most ears APM is a great headphone, no doubt about it.
Where I personally think the PX8 is superior is:
- case, charging and overall portability. APM is a joke here.
- build. AMP is nicely constructed but why the mesh, and the silicone? Leather and metal please.
- comfort, but here your mileage may wary.
- sound - MUCH improved mids, overall timbre and the quality (not quantity) of the bass.

I think it all comes down to your use case, as well as what genres you are listening to. I could enjoy APM for electronic music but for rock and acoustic music B&Ws mid range is a big win.

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #1,582 of 5,212
I think for most ears APM is a great headphone, no doubt about it.
Where I personally think the PX8 is superior is:
- case, charging and overall portability. APM is a joke here.
- build. AMP is nicely constructed but why the mesh, and the silicone? Leather and metal please.
- comfort, but here your mileage may wary.
- sound - MUCH improved mids, overall timbre and the quality (not quantity) of the bass.

I think it all comes down to your use case, as well as what genres you are listening to. I could enjoy APM for electronic music but for rock and acoustic music B&Ws mid range is a big win.
If you like the sound signature of atmos and spatial audio you’ll love the APM over the Px8, but that’s a very personal determination.

I’m convinced they’re about to drop an APM2 so I’d wait on an APM a few months.

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #1,583 of 5,212
Thanks for this I found it useful as I am looking for a new ANC headphone.

The APM is a very good headphone in several aspects, including the sound. I'm one of the first people commenting about the APM and spending one month with this headphone, but at the end I preferring the b&o H95 in sound quality and others aspects.

I have problems with APM with material of earpads and the position of volume crown, but this apparently isn't a problem for majority of people.

I'm keeping the px8 specially for 3 reasons: 1) good sound ONLY using EQ, 32 volume steps (very important for me in iOS and not only 16), and reasonably good comfort (Bathys and APM are problematic for me here).

But speaking only about sound quality, and without EQ (meaning using only factory sound), I think, from my memory, that probably I preferring the APM than px8. I prefer the P7W more than px8 because the P7W (that I still owning) is more correct in tonal balance (less far from neutral than px8) and in my case more comfortable than px8. I remember comparing the P7W to APM and in that time I preferring the APM sound only by very, very little.

You live in England, and b&w offering 30 days for trying with not questions asked, so maybe the sis good option for you.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #1,584 of 5,212
The APM is a very good headphone in several aspects, including the sound. I'm one of the first people commenting about the APM and spending one month with this headphone, but at the end I preferring the b&o H95 in sound quality and others aspects.

I have problems with APM with material of earpads and the position of volume crown, but this apparently isn't a problem for majority of people.

I'm keeping the px8 specially for 3 reasons: 1) good sound ONLY using EQ, 32 volume steps (very important for me in iOS and not only 16), and reasonably good comfort (Bathys and APM are problematic for me here).

But speaking only about sound quality, and without EQ (meaning using only factory sound), I think, from my memory, that probably I preferring the APM than px8. I prefer the P7W more than px8 because the P7W (that I still owning) is more correct in tonal balance (less far from neutral than px8) and in my case more comfortable than px8. I remember comparing the P7W to APM and in that time I preferring the APM sound only by very, very little.

You live in England, and b&w offering 30 days for trying with not questions asked, so maybe the sis good option for you.
Yes the volume steps is a very important point, thanks for reminding me about this.

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #1,585 of 5,212
Yes the volume steps is a very important point, thanks for reminding me about this.

Yes, but if you don't having a problem (is problematic for me) with the position of the volume crown, the volume crown is better (in number of very precise steps/changes) than ALL headphones in the market.

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #1,586 of 5,212
'The midrange performance is the best we have experienced from any wireless headphone to this point — and that includes the Focal Bathys and Mark Levinson No. 5909 Headphones.

Male vocals are clean sounding with excellent timbre and detail'

Couldn't agree more. Many reviews seem to be noticing the mid range chops of the PX8 now.
One of the things I look out for in headphones are how male vocals sound. I will fire up some jazzy vocals to test. I find a lot of headphones that are labeled as “bright” or “revealing” don’t cut it for my preferences as they start to make male vocals sound too light and airy and thin. I like to hear a body and weight. For loudspeakers, especially floorstanders, there’s some leeway for brightness, but the small drivers in headphones that are tuned for less warmth don’t work for me.

I choose to see a forum as just that, a forum for conversation. Not every post has to be extremely on topic detailed observations about the Px8. I’ve learned a lot about some cool people just by being inquisitive. If you don’t like that so be it, others have cheerfully chimed in.
It’s easier to just use the Ignore function, imo. And to make sure to be logged in before browsing the thread. 😌

It all comes down to preferences, but I found the APM to have too much on the treble, and it wasn’t even detailed to my ears. That was always the main complaint for me for them and why I sold them after the Px8. Mids on APM were fine, but I like the tuning slightly more on the Px8. Bass between the two for me was a wash as they both sound good.

I do have to say though the user experience is top of the class on APM with Apple devices. Connection and disconnection were always seamless (can’t always say the same for the Px8) and the build quality was great, even though the design could be polarizing. I threw those headphones around because they were built like tanks and they had the durability to match. Not a single scratch after a year and half of use. I do have to say that the anodizing on the Px8 on the black at least is not as durable as I have a tiny mark on the aluminum on one side next to the leather after slight contact with the aluminum surface of my computer monitor. I do feel like I need to be more polite around the Px8 with all the soft leather and diamond cut edges, etc, but they sure are lookers..

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #1,587 of 5,212
Speaking about good and poor marketing few days ago about battery life specifications, the new Porsche Design PDH80 is saying this:
  • 75 hours of play time (50 hours when ANC is enabled).

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #1,589 of 5,212
One of the things I look out for in headphones are how male vocals sound. I will fire up some jazzy vocals to test. I find a lot of headphones that are labeled as “bright” or “revealing” don’t cut it for my preferences as they start to make male vocals sound too light and airy and thin. I like to hear a body and weight. For loudspeakers, especially floorstanders, there’s some leeway for brightness, but the small drivers in headphones that are tuned for less warmth don’t work for me.

I do have to say though the user experience is top of the class on APM with Apple devices. Connection and disconnection were always seamless (can’t always say the same for the Px8) and the build quality was great, even though the design could be polarizing. I threw those headphones around because they were built like tanks and they had the durability to match. Not a single scratch after a year and half of use. I do have to say that the anodizing on the Px8 on the black at least is not as durable as I have a tiny mark on the aluminum on one side next to the leather after slight contact with the aluminum surface of my computer monitor. I do feel like I need to be more polite around the Px8 with all the soft leather and diamond cut edges, etc, but they sure are lookers..
PX8 sound excellent with all kinds of vocals and is among the best I have heard on mid range and overall timbre. But then again I am a complete fanboy and a sucker for the B&W house sound.

Regarding the build and overall durability I would expect the PX8 to hold up fine but of course I will cry a $700 worth of tears when I scratch them for the first time. After all they are a consumer product and a tool, much like a wrist watch. I have a Rolex Submariner which I babied for the first year or so before deciding that wth it will only look cooler and cooler with the patina and battle scars that make it unique and mine... That said I might use my good old Sony WH-1000XM3 in environments where the headphones may take excessive abuse (outdoors by the pool, on flights, walking in unstable weather conditions...)

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #1,590 of 5,212
Who is making these? Like, who’s the OEM
"With racetrack-shaped earcups, they provide comfort for all-day wear."
Looks like something KEF could have done... But I dont have a clue, and they are probably made in China anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back