Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 1, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #1,561 of 5,215
As much as I wanted the Px8, I just ordered the px7 s2 in blue. Thought I would save that money for perhaps the momentum 4 or maybe even just a wired headphone (hifiman is on my radar)

Nov 1, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #1,563 of 5,215
Does anyone know if the PX8 works/pairs with the Pi7 case? Useful to know for travelling purposes.
Yes it does. Finally got around to doing it tonight and it works fine with the case. Worked best if I turned it on paired to my phone, then pressed the case to make it ready for pairing and then holding the headphone button up to get them ready to pair and it worked well.

Nov 1, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #1,564 of 5,215
Slight sidebar: As far as anc earbuds go, what are people using? Or should I just wait?

I figured Id start here before I fall down another rabbit hole for earbuds.

Not a fan of Sony, Bose, B&O, or Airpods; short list is MW08, Senn TW3, and Pi7 (no earbud controls suck for this one)

Basically above average SQ, decent enough ANC, touch controls, not an old model that will drop something new in the next couple month or so.

(AAC Codec only)

Thank you for any suggestion.
I love my Pi7 and fact that case can double as Bluetooth receiver. I’m one of those people whose ears cannot hold many earbuds but these are fine and stay in place really well and sound great.

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #1,565 of 5,215
So my PX8s arrived today! I’m smitten.

Question for the crew - has anyone noticed a difference in clarity streaming tidal through the B&W app versus the Tidal App directly? I’m noticing a meaningful improvement when I run it through the B&W app 🤷🏼‍♂️
I notice that when I switch back and forth between tidal and tidal thru the app, the B&W app is significantly louder and sounds a bit better initially but when I lower the volume to be similar to tidal directly it’s hard for me to hear a difference.
One thing that would be nice and makes me avoid the B&W app for tidal is that my library in tidal in the B&W app is alphabetical and I have no options to change it. In Tidal directly my library is in the order I have downloaded and I have options to change it. It would be nice if we could do this with tidal in the B& W app as well so it would be easier to find the newer stuff I’ve downloaded and not have to go thru a whole alphabetical list.

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #1,566 of 5,215
The bass is boosted and it feels like they boost it all the way up to 400-500hz (or possibly even higher) which impacts male vocals and can make some tracks feel slightly dark congested. My guess is that there is also a dips in the 2-3khz area along with a bit lower level in the upper treble.

This is exactly how I'm hearing the px8 and is one reason I use the px8 app EQ which, even when is limited, is responding well to small changes.

Like all boutique headphones it doesn't compete with the likes of Apple, Bose or Sony in the ANC department, but first impressions are that it should be quite serviceable as an ANC headphone.

This is exactly my opinion too.

Overall comfort is slightly above average, but I do feel they could do with a bit more movements on the earcups and they aren't quite as secure on my head as I would have preferred

Again, exactly my opinion. I wish the earcups are having more movement vertically (up or down) for more accurate positioning.

Really disliked the app though. Account needed, always online and auto-launching whenever I connected my headphones. Deleted it fast as it served virtually no real purpose outside of providing EQ possibilities and it behaved much like spyware. Would much rather have an offline control app that can connect when you as it to do firmware updates when needed.

I'm agree except I don't delete the app because I use the EQ sometimes, and for future firmware updates too.

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #1,567 of 5,215
Slight sidebar: As far as anc earbuds go, what are people using? Or should I just wait?

I figured Id start here before I fall down another rabbit hole for earbuds.

Not a fan of Sony, Bose, B&O, or Airpods; short list is MW08, Senn TW3, and Pi7 (no earbud controls suck for this one)

Basically above average SQ, decent enough ANC, touch controls, not an old model that will drop something new in the next couple month or so.

(AAC Codec only)

Thank you for any suggestion.
A little light reading (3000 + pages) at https://www.head-fi.org/threads/going-fully-wireless-iems-too-soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/

Seriously, perhaps just peruse the more recent few weeks of posts should give you a good idea what other head-fi'ers heave to say about the most recent TWS in-ears.

Nov 2, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #1,568 of 5,215

Does anyone know if there are any third party velour ear pads for the Px7/8?

I know that this would most likely reduce the anc effectiveness but I would love it comfort wise.

Just a follow up: I asked the alibaba seller to produce velour (or velvet as they call it) ear pads for me but it turned out that they do not fit the PX7 S2 and will likely not fit the PX8 (they share the same ear pad design right?).
The seller told me that they only tested the fitment on the original PX7 and not the S2.

Nov 2, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #1,569 of 5,215
Just a follow up: I asked the alibaba seller to produce velour (or velvet as they call it) ear pads for me but it turned out that they do not fit the PX7 S2 and will likely not fit the PX8 (they share the same ear pad design right?).
The seller told me that they only tested the fitment on the original PX7 and not the S2.
That’s a bummer. On the other hand I guess that means owners of the PX7s2 can upgrade their stock pads to better ones in velour or even the original leather ones from PX8.

Nov 2, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #1,570 of 5,215
That’s a bummer. On the other hand I guess that means owners of the PX7s2 can upgrade their stock pads to better ones in velour or even the original leather ones from PX8.
That's true, but unfortunately I couldn't find an upgrade for the PX8 either.

Do you happen to know of a seller that offers velour ear pads for the PX8? I would like to upgrade my PX7 S2 with them.

Nov 2, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #1,571 of 5,215
Nov 2, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #1,572 of 5,215
That's true, but unfortunately I couldn't find an upgrade for the PX8 either.

Do you happen to know of a seller that offers velour ear pads for the PX8? I would like to upgrade my PX7 S2 with them.
No but I must say that the original pads on the Px8 are excellent, in leather.

Nov 2, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #1,573 of 5,215
I'm hearing that the PX8 have a pretty small soundstage compared to the earlier B&W offerings...is that right? Personally thought the soundstage was a strong point of the PX and PX7.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #1,574 of 5,215
I'm hearing that the PX8 have a pretty small soundstage compared to the earlier B&W offerings...is that right? Personally thought the soundstage was a strong point of the PX and PX7.
I have owned both the PX and the PX7 (and also the P7, P7w and P5s2).
I would not say that the soundstage on the PX8 is smaller in any way. It is not small for a closed back headphone, not at all, but sure there are wider sounding headphones (Focal Bathys being one of few that can actually match the PX8 in other areas).
Perhaps the PX was a little wider in this regard, but the PX are inferior in just about every other dimension.

However, the B&W house sound and tuning is by most people perceived as more forward, more like "speakers in front of you" rather than a circumaural and multidimensional surround sound that some headphone manufacturers strive for. Personally I like this for acoustic music, rock, female vocals and other genres that benefit from the excellent mid range of the PX8, but I know some people prefer a more expansive sound, e.g. for electronic music. For what I listen to this mostly sound synthetic.

I would guess that if you really like the PX you might feel overwhelmed by the presentation that the PX8 have (more of everything) anad if you truly enjoyed the PX7 you will be more than happy with the PX8 which is a far superior headphone in just about all aspects.

Nov 2, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #1,575 of 5,215
I have owned both the PX and the PX7 (and also the P7, P7w and P5s2).
I would not say that the soundstage on the PX8 is smaller in any way. It is not small for a closed back headphone, not at all, but sure there are wider sounding headphones (Focal Bathys being one of few that can actually match the PX8 in other areas).
Perhaps the PX was a little wider in this regard, but the PX are inferior in just about every other dimension.

However, the B&W house sound and tuning is by most people perceived as more forward, more like "speakers in front of you" rather than a circumaural and multidimensional surround sound that some headphone manufacturers strive for. Personally I like this for acoustic music, rock, female vocals and other genres that benefit from the excellent mid range of the PX8, but I know some people prefer a more expansive sound, e.g. for electronic music. For what I listen to this mostly sound synthetic.

I would guess that if you really like the PX you might feel overwhelmed by the presentation that the PX8 have (more of everything) anad if you truly enjoyed the PX7 you will be more than happy with the PX8 which is a far superior headphone in just about all aspects.
Thanks for this. Would you say there's still a decent sense of depth / layering with the PX8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back