Bought another headphone amp, I still hear no difference!
Jun 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #16 of 28
I don't see a K551 improving a lot when amped. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:
I don't see a K551 improving a lot when amped. 

Amplification is not crucial when dealing with AKG K550. Try pairing it with a good outboard DAC. Yes, there is a difference. 
But if you are expecting massive changes in bass, you are mistaken. AKG K550 is bass light but with EQ, you could get a real
nice bass performance.

If you want ear-punishing, bring-da-house-down bass, get the Audeze LCD 3, and a good SS amp like Burson Soloist. You will be jumping with joy guaranteed. The Audeze is made for Electronic/Dance music. Downside is, you have to let go of that 10 year old Honda, lol

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Amplification is not crucial when dealing with AKG K550. Try pairing it with a good outboard DAC. Yes, there is a difference. 
But if you are expecting massive changes in bass, you are mistaken. AKG K550 is bass light but with EQ, you could get a real
nice bass performance.

If you want ear-punishing, bring-da-house-down bass, get the Audeze LCD 3, and a good SS amp like Burson Soloist. You will be jumping with joy guaranteed. The Audeze is made for Electronic/Dance music. Downside is, you have to let go of that 10 year old Honda, lol

Well, i was going to recommend getting a nice Dac instead. You stole my idea :D
Aren't the K551 optimized for use with portable devices? 

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

nice bass performance.

I don't care for bass. I like the K551 bass as is.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
After a week, no difference still lol. I guess it's going back on the market!

get yourself a nice pair of headphones please. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #24 of 28
something in the "setup" is setting u up.... 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #25 of 28
Drop some 600 ohm beyer's on the laptop and see if it still has enough chutzpah... :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #28 of 28
Take note also that laptops' sound card designs haven't exactly remained unchanged over the years. Back in 2008 my Vaio C-series was miles ahead of my circa-2004 and 2002 HP, I kind of just assumed Sony cares enough about sound since it manufactures audio equipment. Now my Acer AS5560-8480 is actually much, much better than that and I got it for about half of what I paid for the Vaio (a third if I paid regular price for it); DAP-quality level actually (iPod, Sansa or Cowon, not necessarily S:Flo and X3). Heck back when I had the early-2000s HPs for college I lugged around a MiniDisc (to the bewilderment of the Mac+iPod crowd). A lot of people who assume outright that laptops and computers just can't cut it probably just base their assumptions off their older laptops and it colors their opinion even now, so even if they actually listened, they'd have these preconceptions too far forward in their minds.

That said, I still hear a lot of improvements using a K701 and HD600 on my laptop vs my Meier Cantate.2, even if it uses the "soundcard-quality" PCM2702-based USB DAC in it (no, really, other DACs just use that chip as a USB receiver). However given I don't go around carrying either one save for meets, I don't really bring any amp. Even my D-Zero stays at home with my Swan D1080MkII 08 monitors at my workstation. Speaking of which, the laptop soundcard's analog output is a bit harsh on some IEMs and noticeably so on my speakers; the D-Zero is a bit too warm (but I'd prefer that for reducing listening fatigue given I listen to this while working).

In any case, I won't be surprised if Alienware used a good enough soundcard on that thing, given they'd assume a gamer would probably use not only surround sound, but a lot of clean-enough power to help even a closed headphone overcome the noise floor of - say - five other guys shouting profanities at each other around a dinner table during a night of mobile gaming over beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back