Bought another headphone amp, I still hear no difference!
Jun 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

gilsont

100+ Head-Fier
This is my 2nd time posting about this ...

I got a AKG K551.

I first got the Fiio E7 USB DAC and it made no difference than the sound coming from my Alienware M11x R1.

Now I sold the Fiio E7 and hoping to get better sound ... I bought a Schiit Magni and Modi combo and again.. no difference! What gives?!?!?

My Alienware got the best soundcard in the world or something??

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 28
What are you actually expecting from the DAC and Amp? If your onboard sound from the laptop is good and has enough power to drive the 551's then no, you probably not notice any difference. Contrary to what some people profess around here not ALL onboard sound chips are bad.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 28
Listen to the Modi/Magni exclusively for a full week and then switch back. I've thought the same many times until I did that and found my old system didn't sound as good as I remembered. If you still don't hear a difference then maybe it's time for new headphones or a higher end dac/amp. :D tbh I didn't notice much difference between my onboard soundcard and the Schiit Bifrost(sound sig was different but I hesitate to call either one 'better') But when I stepped up to my Ultra Fi my jaw was on the floor for a long time.

Amp wise I can say the same about my Beyer T90s. I've tried numerous amps out ranging from my Sansa Fuze to a TOTL Graham Slee. The differences in performance were very small; alternatively all of the other headphones I've tried sounded atrocious out of onboard or portable sound. The Grado SR-80i, Ultrasone PRO2900, Senn HD598, and AD900 were unlistenable out of poor amplifiers. Some headphones just aren't as sensitive to what is higher up the chain for whatever reason.

My only experience with AKG is with the K81 model, which benefits from good amplification/source but the difference is subtle.

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 28
you must be being too careful matching levels...

not clipping, running out of current, not be trying tube amps with to small output DC blocking C, skimpy output transformer...

which isn't surprising with the K551 Z, sensitivity being fairly suited to many a DAP's internal amp

you probably have just read a little too much here to have picked up the exaggerated audiophile equipment head memes

there's not much objective reason to think that amps make major differences, that searching for synergy, euphonic coloring is a objectively justifiable endeavor

amps adequate to driving the headphones should be a vanishingly small fraction of "the sound" - it is the headphone, even the fit of the headphone each time you put it on changes the response 100s of times more than the differences between competent amps

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 28
The headphone amp is not the problem, it's the headphones :)

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 28
It could also be music you're using. Have you tried it with FLAC encodings?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:
It could also be music you're using. Have you tried it with FLAC encodings?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

The bit rate of the music shouldn't matter as long as you're using the same type with the various amps. If you're playing .flac through one and 160 mbps mp3s through another one then there probably would be differences.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 28
With some headphones, the difference is obvious while with others, it barely changes anything except the noise level. If you actually like the sound out of the K551 with your integrated audio, then congrats dude, you won't need to speed tons of money to get the best out of your headphones. However, as others said, I would give it a solid week of exclusive listening then switch back and if you actually can't hear a positive difference, just sell your M&M stack and enjoy.

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 28
The answer is....c. A. B. L E. d. Y. N. e :D
http://www.cabledyne.com/usb-cable.html

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:
The answer is....c. A. B. L E. d. Y. N. e
biggrin.gif

http://www.cabledyne.com/usb-cable.html

No... Platinum Starlight is the only way to go... 
biggrin.gif

http://www.wireworldcable.com/products/106.html

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #15 of 28
Better sell it fast, before..........:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back