Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Aug 7, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #1,336 of 2,108
So I tried this just for kicks : Noble K10 + Btl ML (thought too much power, will hiss,,,,), wasn't expecting great results. But wow...drives them amazingly well, better than anything I have tried till now (incluiding portable amps).

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #1,338 of 2,108
Now that will take big pockets to go portable lol

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #1,339 of 2,108
 I was the only bidder and won (read stole) a Jupiter HT 3.3uf and 0.1uf capacitor on ebay the other week
atsmile.gif

Unfortunately this then required the purchase of second new Jupiter HT 3.3uf and 0.1uf to make up the pair for the Sex
eek.gif
 I'm still recovering from that shock!

So it was out with the 2.7uf Mundorf supreme silver oils and the inter-stage Ampohm 0.1uf paper in wax aluminium foils and in with the 3.3uf Jupiter HT Bees Wax Papers and 0.1uf Jupiter HT Bees Wax Papers.

Burn in is said to be around 100-200hrs sounding very nice so far

The 2.7uf Mundorfs and 3.3uf Jupiters are similar in size but check out the difference between the 0.1uf Ampohm and 0.1uf Jupiters

How do they sound ? (compared to the Mundorf ?) Do you hear an upgrade ? :)

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #1,340 of 2,108
And wasn't there a concern on the BH forums about the wax-type insulator in the caps? There was some concern (and maybe a report?) of them getting warm and shorting? Don't mean to be alarmist - just make sure the ventilation is fine.

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #1,342 of 2,108
How do they sound ? (compared to the Mundorf ?) Do you hear an upgrade ? :)

There are some very noticeable differences.

The Jupiter's sound very clean, balanced and fast with good tone which gives nice sense of presence but comes across as more natural rather than coloured and sound to me a fraction more resolving than the SIO, this was a bit of a surprise, who would have thought that from Beeswax! 

The Mundorf SIO have the edge with deeper bass texturing and definition and some of the gravel-ness texturing in usual male vocals is not so textured with the Jupiter's.  Mid bass and up the Jupiter's are really very very nice and I am surprised to be hearing new details not heard before. Perhaps a benefit of the Jupiter's feeling more evenly balanced.

The Mundorf SIO I thought have the edge with instrument separation. For a example towards the end of Ruth Moody's track Pockets their is a Spanish style guitar playing in the background with the SIO this comes across really clearly and separated with the Jupiter's it is still there but just not so prominent remaining in the background.

Some posts I have read mention the Mundorfs SIO have a slightly U shape signature with lower and upper register bias.

Both offer excellent performance which one to choose I think is more down to system matching and personal preference.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #1,343 of 2,108
  And wasn't there a concern on the BH forums about the wax-type insulator in the caps? There was some concern (and maybe a report?) of them getting warm and shorting? Don't mean to be alarmist - just make sure the ventilation is fine.

Jamie, 

They don't specify that size on their site... are they made to order? http://jupitercondenser.com/product/round-beeswax-audio-capacitor/

I would get an infrared thermometer and check the exterior of those caps after coming up to temp just to be certain. But then again you've been around the block, I'm sure you know this.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,344 of 2,108
  Jamie, 

They don't specify that size on their site... are they made to order? http://jupitercondenser.com/product/round-beeswax-audio-capacitor/

I would get an infrared thermometer and check the exterior of those caps after coming up to temp just to be certain. But then again you've been around the block, I'm sure you know this.  
biggrin.gif

The sizes are available here in the UK from only one supplier and even then they only had one 3.3 in stock so I lucked out.  
http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/components/capacitors.html

The Jupiters used are the HT ones which are rated for a  operating temperature of 70°C.  To be honest I have never measured the Sex internal temperature partly because the top plate runs a lot cooler to the touch than my Crack did so never thought it a issue I also have a full width piece of 5mm thick aluminium angle section shoe horned inside which my chokes and attenuator are mounted I expect this helps somewhat with heat dissipation. 

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #1,345 of 2,108
Aug 21, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #1,346 of 2,108
Hi all, I just ordered a S.E.X. and it coming soon. Now thinking to get some tools. I am a beginner and don't have any solder experience. May I know Kester 44 Rosin Core Solder 60/40 or 63/37 is suitable for beginner ? Thank you.

(Sorry for my poor English.)

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #1,347 of 2,108
  Hi all, I just ordered a S.E.X. and it coming soon. Now thinking to get some tools. I am a beginner and don't have any solder experience. May I know Kester 44 Rosin Core Solder 60/40 or 63/37 is suitable for beginner ? Thank you.

Congratulations the Sex is a great sounding and very versatile amp. I would suggest if you have not done so then register on the Bottlehead forum they have a good selection of thread topics which you might find very helpful such as this one. Along with a dedicated Sex build thread for any questions.

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=173.0

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #1,348 of 2,108

Congrats - as Jamie said it's a great-sounding amp. That solder would be just fine. I wouldn't want much thicker than the standard 1mm diameter stuff. Should be nice and easy to work with.

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #1,349 of 2,108
Thanks Jamie & DD, I will check bottlehead forum. I plan to get S.E.X to pair with my HD650 & bookshelf speakers :)

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #1,350 of 2,108

I've experience with good and bad solder. The Cardass Quad (http://www.cardas.com/solder.php) is perhaps the best solder I've used in running hook-up wire in audio. Can't speak for the Kester.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back