1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by loquah, Sep 24, 2013.
First

Back
81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90
92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101
Next

Last
  1. Garbana
    Thanks NightFlight, is it this one ? 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KCTRYGC/ref=s9_hps_bw_g469_i1

2. JamieMcC
    Thumbs up for the Cardas Quad here as well your link is correct

Garbana likes this.
  3. NightFlight
    http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=135&cat=Cardas

http://www.partsconnexion.com/solder_cardas.html

Your amazon entry looks correct as well. The quad 100g is likely all you'll need. I ordered mine from Take Five, built a couple amps, pinball machine repairs and various smaller projects with quit a lot left. 100 grams at .032 seems to go a long way. 

I also recommend a solder sucker if you don't have one. Some people use braid, but I've never gotten that to work right. 

Garbana likes this.
  4. Doc B.
    Kester is the Toyota of solder - reliable, easy to find, relatively nice to use. Cardas is the Lexus - more expensive, just as reliable and nicer to use.

Garbana likes this.
  5. DDDamian
    Heh, trust Doc to find the right analogy :)

6. Demoninja
    Quick question about tube rolling. During my browsing I saw lots of mentions about "matched tubes." What's the significance of having a matched pair?

7. Loquah
    My understanding of tube matching is that each tube can have variations in it's maximum output. By matching them you ensure that both channels in your amp have the same level of performance. It's been explained to me once that this is only really relevant at peak outputs when you might be reaching the performance limits of one / both tubes and beginning to get distortion.

Amps like the Mainline have bias controls which essentially allow you to compensate for variations between tubes.

Hopefully I've remembered and explained this correctly. Others please correct me if I'm wrong.

8. dmhenley
    Hey All.
    My first Bottlehead build is complete!
    SEX 2.1 and C4S upgrade-

I'm running my Schiit Gungnir Multibit with it. Set it for 8ohms as I'm listening with both phones and speakers.Though I do find that I've very little volume range with my AKG Q701s, it sounds fantastic.

Look forward to future upgrades.

9. Loquah
    Congrats!!

The power output is high for most cans except planars. Have you got a little play at least? You could go to 4 ohm, but that might not be so good fir speakers.

10. JamieMcC
    You also might be able to reduce the output digitally via your music software volume control to allow for more range on the volume pot.

11. dmhenley
    There's very little play before I reach max comfortable listening levels.
    I am considering the 'phones as my next upgrade, so we'll see.
    I listen to speakers almost as much as I do 'phones, and found 8ohms is best for my Lore.

I think this is a good idea. I'm using Roon-Tidal currently, so could easily adjust the output level from my pc.
    I have also read that using the software volume control could degrade the output? I don't know. ​

12. dmhenley
    What about putting the Submissive in front of my SEX amp? Running the amp volume at 100% and use the finer adjustment of the Submissive?

13. JamieMcC
    A couple of 50 cent resistors would also work

14. dmhenley
    True.

The Submissive would provide me multiple inputs as well - which I need.
    All depends on how soon I think I can order a Stereomour2!

15. Loquah

Looks like you have a new victim... I mean fan, Doc! :wink:

First

Back
81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90
92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101
Next

Last