Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Apr 29, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #1,171 of 2,108
Robert, congratulations on your Mainline build and for the detailed impressions of your cans with it. I think that's going to prove very helpful for anyone who might be considering the Mainline in the future.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #1,173 of 2,108
Just had a thought to add the great comparisons and comments from @bigfatpaulie
and @rbc3
to the first post of the thread - it's becoming a great reference tool so thank to everyone on here for contributing and adding so much additional content!

Reading your original write-ups led me to purchase a hopped-up Crack and a stock S.E.X. in the same week lol. One day the Mainline will be mine....

Great thread guys - excellent posts and reviews.

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #1,175 of 2,108
The guy I bought my AKG K1000 from demo'd them on a S.E.X. for me plugged in to the speaker binding posts with the AKG supplied adapter wired to some Monster banana plugs. I'm not sure what impedance the OT was tapped at.  It sounded really good.  I bought them...  I remember the bass being a little on the light side.  Vocals sounded fantastic though!  I bet it's a great amp for planar magnetic cans too.

My next Bottlehead kit is a Stereomour 2A3 with the impedance switch mod (same one as the S.E.X) which I plan to try out with the K1K connected to the speaker binding posts.  I have a good feeling...

-Robert

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,176 of 2,108
  Please apologise to your wallet for me :wink:

The wallet forgives - until I follow your Mainline recommendation :) The wife, however is PO'd. If it wasn't for the adorable avatar..... :)

@rbc3 - the S.E.X is definitely bass-shy, I just did the C4S last week and it's helped a bit. That said, it has a very open, airy, spacious feel with or without. I use it to drive some HE-400 planars among other cans, and it does sound wonderful if I tame the treble a touch (spike at 9kHz with the HE-400). Those cans really eat current to get to higher volumes, and the S.E.X. delivers.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #1,177 of 2,108
Mainline progress pic starting to come together now and although I was hopeless at catching it with the camera there is a tiny amount of deep blue metal flake in the clear. Not enough to be noticed at first glance but enough to catch your eye with a little sparkle as your angle of view changes.

May 1, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #1,179 of 2,108
Love the carbon fiber.  I'm one of the few that have the Mainline with TL-404's,( I think) don't know if I'm the one Doc B referenced but I spent less than a day listening to the stock Mainline before putting in the new OPT's.  Even though that's against common convention I don't regret it at all, I purchased the Mainline as a home for the TL-404's, I was perfectly happy with my modded Crack until the first track played.  Now it' in a box in the garage...  Now I'm trying to settle on a cap and headphone combo that will be the final mods.  Currently my favorite is a 3.3uF Mundorf with HD-650's (HD-600 shell with 650 drivers).  The 650's are getting more playing time than my 800's, but only because I also game with them on and I can't stomach putting the 800's thru any game sound tracks.  Going to try a pair of planar's  and some closed backs next with 3.3, 4.7, 6.8 and 8.2uF caps next.

May 2, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #1,180 of 2,108
  Love the carbon fiber.  I'm one of the few that have the Mainline with TL-404's,( I think) don't know if I'm the one Doc B referenced but I spent less than a day listening to the stock Mainline before putting in the new OPT's.  Even though that's against common convention I don't regret it at all, I purchased the Mainline as a home for the TL-404's, I was perfectly happy with my modded Crack until the first track played.  Now it' in a box in the garage...  Now I'm trying to settle on a cap and headphone combo that will be the final mods.  Currently my favorite is a 3.3uF Mundorf with HD-650's (HD-600 shell with 650 drivers).  The 650's are getting more playing time than my 800's, but only because I also game with them on and I can't stomach putting the 800's thru any game sound tracks.  Going to try a pair of planar's  and some closed backs next with 3.3, 4.7, 6.8 and 8.2uF caps next.

Hey Old Nuke I noticed that was your first post here, so welcome to Headfi.
Its nice to hear from someone who has fitted those TL-404''s to  a Mainline, they are pretty scarce over the UK side of the pond.
I'm still getting used to my HD800's and have only had them a couple of weeks now.  The T1's quickly ousted my HD650 about 18 months ago but the HD800 and T1 I find are quiet close in their performance but each has a different way with its presentation. So am looking forward to seeing how they sound with the Mainline and plan to make a start fitting out the top plate later today.

May 2, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #1,181 of 2,108

Hey Old Nuke I noticed that was your first post here, so welcome to Headfi.
Its nice to hear from someone who has fitted those TL-404''s to  a Mainline, they are pretty scarce over the UK side of the pond.
I'm still getting used to my HD800's and have only had them a couple of weeks now.  The T1's quickly ousted my HD650 about 18 months ago but the HD800 and T1 I find are quiet close in their performance but each has a different way with its presentation. So am looking forward to seeing how they sound with the Mainline and plan to make a start fitting out the top plate later today.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the T1s fair compared to the HD800s for you once the Mainline's up and running, Jamie. I kept the T1s for a few weeks, but more and more found the HD800s were just better in every way with the Mainline. Of course, source components and personal preferences play into it as well though...

May 2, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #1,182 of 2,108

I'm looking forward to seeing how the T1s fair compared to the HD800s for you once the Mainline's up and running, Jamie. I kept the T1s for a few weeks, but more and more found the HD800s were just better in every way with the Mainline. Of course, source components and personal preferences play into it as well though...

Totally agree my source is next on the list for upgrading when spare funds allow been drooling over Bottlehead, Chord, Meridian and Lampizator dac offering recently.

While I was tinkering with the Mainline carbon top plate I knocked up a new diy stand for the hd800 with a bit of the blue metal flake to match its rather solid and
 weighs in at 3kg! The paint is so fresh I haven't dared cut it flat it back yet for a polish.  I thought its better off curing fully at home where I can keep a eye on it
atsmile.gif

May 2, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,184 of 2,108
Wow. Looks beautiful! Great work.

Thanks Lachlan I surprised myself as had never used the pearl or metal flake products before. I plan to make a few more and experiment with some different hot rod style finishes will post a pic or two on how they turn out.

Mainline progress pic and time for a beer.

I have had a very enjoyable time fitting out the top plate and stuffing the pcb boards today I've not kept a accurate track or the time taken but something around a leisurely 5 or 6 hours in total over three sittings with a few chores and dinner in between sessions. The instructions are excellent again and so far have been easy to follow. I will make a start on the hooking up tomorrow.
Paul I was thinking of you when the very first thing I did was to put my fuse in the IEC module before inserting it in the top plate
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back