Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Jul 5, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #1,262 of 2,108
I've been letting mine burn in for a couple days, but only a total of ~30hrs. The Humble Homemade HiFi cap guide states:

"The MCap EVO Silver Gold Oil does need some time to burn-in and calm down. Fresh out of the box I found them rather nervous, give them at least 50 hours to mellow out."

They really do seem to wander in performance since I've been checking in on them.  Also the the author warns the EVO SGO's are top end centric and provide excellent detail there. C5 register and up - a piano lovers dream. I am not a piano guy but I do hear the detail on string instruments. Detail should by all rights reveal space.... but its not really consistently showing up yet. The imaging and layering was just wild when I checked in yesterday, but I found it most pronounced with the high impedance setting. 

During this breaking in I've found that sometimes the music sounds just flat and boring, other times engaging and layered. I think it has to be me. I'm nuts. But the Daytons were consistent so... go figure.

Did you go for the Supreme SGO or the EVO's?

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,263 of 2,108
Is this in the Mainline or SEX?

In Mainline I have Auricaps. In the SEX are the Supremes so I can't directly compare my experiences.

What cans are you using? The change on high impedance makes me wonder if the differences are partly impedance related.

Also, perhaps the new caps are letting you hear more variation between average and excellent recordings?

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #1,266 of 2,108
I think so. They apparently have more effect, at least these caps in this amp with these headphones for me than I would have expected from your original review of the Mainline.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #1,268 of 2,108
Upwards of 40hrs now on the Sex 2.0 iron upgrade and Mundorf Supremes in the coupling/parafeed paths: no more rough edges. There is a definite improvement in dynamics, bass and resolution. Highly recommended upgrade path for anyone who still uses the original 2.0. I already have the C4S boards in play.

About the only thing I may do from here is upgrade and/or bypass the last PSU cap. Suggestions welcome!

This winter I plan on tackling the Mainline - if only because Loquah says so 
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,269 of 2,108
  Upwards of 40hrs now on the Sex 2.0 iron upgrade and Mundorf Supremes in the coupling/parafeed paths: no more rough edges. There is a definite improvement in dynamics, bass and resolution. Highly recommended upgrade path for anyone who still uses the original 2.0. I already have the C4S boards in play.

About the only thing I may do from here is upgrade and/or bypass the last PSU cap. Suggestions welcome!

This winter I plan on tackling the Mainline - if only because Loquah says so 
biggrin.gif

You know Loquah is right about the Mainline did he also mention HD800's are the must have accessory for all righteous Mainline owners
wink_face.gif

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #1,271 of 2,108
Good - 'cause I finally bit the bullet and have a pair inbound 
beerchug.gif

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #1,273 of 2,108

Then you, Sir, NEED a Mainline.  I know this guy, Doc, he can totally hook you up 
wink_face.gif

He's already booking his Christmas Party based on it 
wink_face.gif

For now the HD-800's are going to have to play nice with my Crack or S.E.X lol. Which begs the question: evict the 650's from the Crack or the LCD2.2's from the S.E.X? So many great sounds, so many great cans.

I need a bigger desk lol. The Mainline/HD-800 need to take their place, and so far I'm not about to ditch either of the above pairings!

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,274 of 2,108
  He's already booking his Christmas Party based on it 
wink_face.gif

For now the HD-800's are going to have to play nice with my Crack or S.E.X lol. Which begs the question: evict the 650's from the Crack or the LCD2.2's from the S.E.X? So many great sounds, so many great cans.

I need a bigger desk lol. The Mainline/HD-800 need to take their place, and so far I'm not about to ditch either of the above pairings!

Good move on the HD800 purchase. The Mainline is most definitely in your future now
wink.gif

As for the choice of amps, both are excellent with the HD800, but I reckon it'll be worth switching between the LCDs and HD800s on your SEX to make the most of the extra resolution and layering that the SEX can produce. Whatever you do, though, don't get tempted like I did to sell off your LCDs. Thankfully a mate advised me to keep the LCDs and the LCD+SEX combo still remains the perfect complement to the Mainline+HD800 combo.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #1,275 of 2,108

Good move on the HD800 purchase. The Mainline is most definitely in your future now
wink.gif

As for the choice of amps, both are excellent with the HD800, but I reckon it'll be worth switching between the LCDs and HD800s on your SEX to make the most of the extra resolution and layering that the SEX can produce. Whatever you do, though, don't get tempted like I did to sell off your LCDs. Thankfully a mate advised me to keep the LCDs and the LCD+SEX combo still remains the perfect complement to the Mainline+HD800 combo.

Cheers mate - always appreciate your advice. I love my pre-fazor LCD2.2's dearly, and they sound great with the SEX. Pre-upgrade of the 2.0 SEX I was wanting a bit more from the LCD's, especially better utilization of the bass those beasts deliver. I picked up a Gustard H-10 knowing that it had the cahones, and had some op-amp rolling potential. That, and many have said the LCD enjoys the SS power more.

Post-op (lol) the SEX has become a very different animal, and the pairing is wonderful. The power it can bring to bear really ups the ante on both my planars, and the increase in dynamics plays well with the incredible speed of the planar drivers.

Not selling a thing lol. The 800 will have to do double-duty on both BH amps until the Mainline build.

Since this is a BH thread I'll say this: both my BH amps are incredible pieces of gear. The ability to customize and the pride of ownership is right up there. Thanks Doc for all the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back