Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Apr 19, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,130 of 2,108
Cool! It has sort of an International Space Station vibe.

More like a 2001 vibe :)

2001-9.png

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,132 of 2,108
OK, maybe more like a  proposed ISS 

I gotta admit the real thing looks more like our lab when PB hasn't cleaned up for three weeks.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #1,134 of 2,108
I just swapped out the stock Solen 1.5uF poly caps in my S.E.X. for some Jantzen Superior Z-Caps, and I'm loving it so far.  That, combined with the C4S upgrade, and a nice stepped attenuator, makes the S.E.X. is an amazing amp!

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #1,135 of 2,108
  I just swapped out the stock Solen 1.5uF poly caps in my S.E.X. for some Jantzen Superior Z-Caps, and I'm loving it so far.  That, combined with the C4S upgrade, and a nice stepped attenuator, makes the S.E.X. is an amazing amp!

Yeah. As good as the stock kit is there's plenty of potential for upgrades

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #1,136 of 2,108
Well, my Mainline has been breaking in for around 11hrs. I like what I'm hearing but I still find it a bit hard. I expect that will calm and come to total fruition at around the 100-400hr mark.   I think there's a lot of potential here. Its starting to tighten up and reveal.  In fact, I already heard new sounds on the Rumours album.  I didn't think that was still possible given my number of listens on various systems.  The mainline is definitely an adjustment from the Crack. 

Here's what I use for a static passive load for head amp break-ins:

Here Tip and Ring are just going through 47Ohms to sleeve (ground). Then you don't have to worry about good headphones or hear crappy ones.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #1,138 of 2,108
The HD800 is only only set that I have/need I think. I've tried the lower impedance and so far I think the higher impedance is a little more fleshed out but its hard to tell. It seems to jump up a couple db when switching to the higher impedance setting.  ~30hrs now and it seems to starting to shed some of the glare. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #1,139 of 2,108
   It seems to jump up a couple db when switching to the higher impedance setting.  

Yes. The higher impedance tap has more turns and thus less step down from the tube's output voltage at the primary winding than the low impedance tap does. That's how transformers work to adjust impedance.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #1,140 of 2,108
Makes sense. Corresponding to a higher XL?

At about the 60hr break-in point and the Mainline... went sublime. I know its been used to describe this amp before, but its about best word to use. With the HD800 anyhow. The pairing is something else. While my Crack is tweaked and rolled and comes close, the Mainline breaks out more detail with better layering in all respects. Tones of new nuance coming out of well known tracks.  I had some fear of not being able to roll to tweak the sound to where I wanted it, but I think the Mainline is right where most audiophools want to go anyhow.  I also have a strong dislike of cheap Russian glass character, but none of that is in this implementation. 

I hope to get a little more out of it swapping out the Dayton Caps but I'm not holding my breath.  

I'm torn on which to with here:

1. Auricap 10uF / 400VDC XO Series, Metalized Polypropylene 
  2. Jupiter 10uf / 300VDC, HT Series, Alum Foil & Paper Beeswax
  3. Mundorf Mcaps
  4. Clarity

The Jupiters seems like an interesting place to go, but the XO Auricaps have been reviewed by some to trump them. And Mundorf is just Mundorf.  Everyone has their preference I guess... *sigh*  Should I just add two more to the list and roll a die? *lol*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back