Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Nov 11, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #916 of 2,108
  My only problem is finding a 600V 0.01uF teflon other than the Auri-Teflons which are like buying a whole other set of the SGOs
blink.gif

Easy
wink.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-01uF-1000V-5-AUDIO-teflon-capacitors-K72P-6-Lot-of-1pcs-/261249464197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd3ae7785

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #918 of 2,108
  For some reason i can't find the right bypass caps value for my CRACK,I tried 0.01uf,0.56uf  and 1uf for the 0.01 and 0.56uf sound very harsh/fatiguing  1uf tho is not bad but still warm to my liking.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #919 of 2,108
    For some reason i can't find the right bypass caps value for my CRACK,I tried 0.01uf,0.56uf  and 1uf for the 0.01 and 0.56uf sound very harsh/fatiguing  1uf tho is not bad but still warm to my liking.

Normal rule is about 1% of the main cap value. What types of caps are you using as the bypass? Teflon, poly, etc?

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #920 of 2,108

Normal rule is about 1% of the main cap value. What types of caps are you using as the bypass? Teflon, poly, etc?

I used SOLEN poly to find the value but it's not working for me.I will try 1.5uf to 2.5uf and see(this will be  a bit over 1%).

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #922 of 2,108

I used SOLEN poly to find the value but it's not working for me.I will try 1.5uf to 2.5uf and see(this will be  a bit over 1%).

Roughly 10% is fine, but make sure you allow ample time for burn-in of the caps.

OK Thank You!
I usually used them for a week then on to the next caps that is why i give up.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #924 of 2,108
  OK Thank You!

If you do a search on the Bottlehead forum there is some discussion about how to make a burn-in rig for your caps so you can pre-burn them. Basically is involves connecting your capacitors to a source along with a load (resistor) and letting it run for a while. Harshness is a common trait of caps before they're burned in

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #925 of 2,108

OK Thank You!

If you do a search on the Bottlehead forum there is some discussion about how to make a burn-in rig for your caps so you can pre-burn them. Basically is involves connecting your capacitors to a source along with a load (resistor) and letting it run for a while. Harshness is a common trait of caps before they're burned in

Thanks! i will try that.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #927 of 2,108
Whoo hoo    
beerchug.gif
       congrats, I am jealous already. I had better start saving my pennies!   

Going to have to satisfy myself on the building front with some speaker enclosures for the Fostex FX120's drivers I picked up earlier in the year . Hopefully I will make a start before the years out as the Sex is proving to be very engaging with my old bookshelf speakers and find the time I spend listening to the Sex via the speakers on the increase. Hopefully the Fostex FX120 full range drivers will make a further improvement.

On the Sex front I have added a couple of FT-3 0,1uF teflons in place of the stock caps and am also really pleased with how the Jantzen bypasses are working out however its still very tempting to try something a little more boutique
atsmile.gif

Haha!  It's okay, Jamie.  We will always have the Crack together 
beerchug.gif
.   Plus, if you had a Mainline, I certainly could not keep up with you!

Once your Mainline is up and running, I'd love some feedback on how the LCD-3 pairs with it vs. with the DNA Stratus.

I plan to contrast the Mainline with the Stratus and the Dynahi with HD800's LCD3 and Code-X HE5's.  I don't need a Mainline, but curiosity got the best of me.  I am really interested to see just how good it really is.  I haven't seen many comparisons of it vs other amps.  I know before I went for the Stratus, the Mainline was a big contender: did I make the right decision?  Especially considering the cost (the Stratus with tubes is pushing $4000).  Only time will tell.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #928 of 2,108
  I plan to contrast the Mainline with the Stratus and the Dynahi with HD800's LCD3 and Code-X HE5's.  I don't need a Mainline, but curiosity got the best of me.  I am really interested to see just how good it really is.  I haven't seen many comparisons of it vs other amps.  I know before I went for the Stratus, the Mainline was a big contender: did I make the right decision?  Especially considering the cost (the Stratus with tubes is pushing $4000).  Only time will tell.

Please share your thoughts on how the Mainline competes with the Dynahi and DNA. It's gonna be an epic comparison! 
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #929 of 2,108

I'm using these caps for bypassing with great result for my Crack. My output caps are the 100uF ERSE Pulse-X caps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-056uF-500V-5-AUDIO-teflon-capacitors-K72P-6-Lot-of-2pcs-/261249457353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd3ae5cc9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back