Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Nov 7, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #902 of 2,108
Hey, Aeolus, can you do me a favour and compare your T1s and HD800s with the Mainline? I'm still on the fence about buying HD800s (leaning towards a yes) and am curious about the specific pairing with Mainline (compared to the T1 pairing)

Hi Loquah,

I did spend nearly an hour writing a pretty long comparison for you, but for some nonsense reasons with my Google Chrome, I've lost it! So I'll try to recall and make it straight to the point this time, hopefully you'll find it useful.

Please do keep in mind that my T1 is not a 'normal' one, it's a 'Loquah's cube modded' T1, so the thoughts I post below are based on my modded T1 and my stock HD800.

The first thing I noticed was that the HD800 was slightly more transparent and had a larger sound stage whereas the T1 was warmer and fuller. Mainline is a very neutral and transparent headamp, so basically all the sonic sound signature of the headphones will be remained the same when played with it.

Bass: the HD800 was tighter but I've sometimes wanted a bit more impact; the T1 was somehow looser but fuller.
Mids: this is where the T1 shines. The HD800 was a tad lifeless, cooler and thinner compared to the warmer, smoother mids of the T1
Treble: interestingly, the treble was supposed to be a bit 'harsh' and 'fatiguing' on the T1 (due to the 9-10Khz peaky treble), but thanks to your mod, the treble of the T1 was now nearly as good as the HD800, though I feel the HD800's treble was still more 'complete' for me. I guess the differences will be more significant between a stock T1 and a HD800.

So I think it really depends on what your expect in your next purchase. I personally tend to use the HD800 whenever I need some critical listening (classical, new age... ) and the T1 when I just want to sit back, relax and enjoy my favorite music - which is mostly vocals, jazz and acoustic. I strongly recommend you get a HD800 if you can afford it, the HD800 will be a wonderful implementation of the T1 and it will complete your headphone rig, at least for dynamic driver headphones. Get one and you will be good to go for a very long long time. I'm just more than happy owning both of them and they make me no longer seek for ANY other headphones.

Again, I'm sorry for this much shorter comparison, I already put all my 'ideas' into my first one, unfortunately, I've lost it! Arggggh

Hope this helps!

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #910 of 2,108
  I screwed up this resistor,Is it safe to run it like this for now while i'am waiting for the replacement?THANKS!

It could affect the heat dissipation in a negative way. Best to replace it.

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #912 of 2,108

Awesome!! Congratulations!!!

Thanks!  I am very much looking forward to it.  

When I called to order I spoke to the Queen for a little bit.  We were talking about different voltage options and I guess Doc was standing next to her and had some input.  Anyway, long story short all of a sudden I was on the phone with a Legend!  HA!

He was, as expected, a perfect gentleman.  

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #913 of 2,108
  It's official!  I have a Mainline on order!

Three weeks to ship.  I can't wait to be building again!

Whoo hoo    
beerchug.gif
       congrats, I am jealous already. I had better start saving my pennies!   

Going to have to satisfy myself on the building front with some speaker enclosures for the Fostex FX120's drivers I picked up earlier in the year . Hopefully I will make a start before the years out as the Sex is proving to be very engaging with my old bookshelf speakers and find the time I spend listening to the Sex via the speakers on the increase. Hopefully the Fostex FX120 full range drivers will make a further improvement.

On the Sex front I have added a couple of FT-3 0,1uF teflons in place of the stock caps and am also really pleased with how the Jantzen bypasses are working out however its still very tempting to try something a little more boutique
atsmile.gif

Quote:
  I noticed some clarity and deeper bass the SEX respond quiet nicely with this SOLEN 22uf 630V Caps  not a huge difference but it is noticeable.

Interesting room is tight on my Sex at the front with the attenuators pcb board taking up plenty of real estate but I might see if I can mount them on the bracket I need to make for adding the chokes and might be able squeeze them some in.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #914 of 2,108
  It's official!  I have a Mainline on order!

Three weeks to ship.  I can't wait to be building again!

Once your Mainline is up and running, I'd love some feedback on how the LCD-3 pairs with it vs. with the DNA Stratus.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #915 of 2,108
Speaking of caps and S.E.X. you might remember I installed some Mundorf Supreme poly caps instead of the Silver / Gold / Oils recently, but I'm now missing the magic of the SGOs so I'm thinking it might be time to reinstall the SGOs with a teflon bypass. My only problem is finding a 600V 0.01uF teflon other than the Auri-Teflons which are like buying a whole other set of the SGOs
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back