BOSE why is it not here?
Oct 16, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #61 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they were the #1 producer of audio gear, why aren't they featured in ANY audio magazine? You see Bose products in magazines like Forbes, Popular Science, Better Home & Gardens, Golf Digest -- never in an audio magazine. And none of the reviewers have any experience with high end audio gear. They are a marketing giant and that is why their name is so popular, not because they produce good sounding audio products.

Excellent point

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #62 of 70
I've been using a 2.1 set of Bose computer speakers for several years. The Bose has afforded me about as much enjoyment as any audio purchase ever. Do I listen to music on it? No, not really, that's not what I got it for. The 3 1/2" x 2 1/4" enclosures are just perfect for the space below my monitor, and to my eye they look good. The Bose is great for computer games when I'm not using headphones. The volume/mute control is particularly convenient.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #64 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I think the reason that Bose isn't mentioned in many audio magazines is because they sued the last magazine to give them an honest review for defamation of character, and won.

You've got to be kidding! Simply incredible..

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #67 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I think the reason that Bose isn't mentioned in many audio magazines is because they sued the last magazine to give them an honest review for defamation of character, and won.

Bose didn't win. They lost. It was Consumer Reports they sued for "Unscientific Testing Methods". Still, it has had a chilling effect.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #68 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by 089709867 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THX? How many high end audio companies care about THX? Logitech??
wink.gif

Uh, JBL. If you think they do not have quality high end offerings, demo the Everest II DD66000, the K2 series or the Array line. Their THX systems sound beyond impressive in theaters. Their Synthesis home theater systems are probably the best sounding in the world.

I own a pair of 1980 vintage 4345s and they never fail to drop visitor's jaws. Top of the line JBL Pro and home speakers have always had an interesting niche. They will damage your hearing before they will reach audible distortion or damage themselves. Try that with any other high end speaker.

Clark

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #69 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrariman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I like the new Bose QC15 headphones for movies and some albums, and it cancels noise well.

Just not $300+ good.

Which NC headphones are $300 and have the after sale support BOSE does?

CR still reviews BOSE stuff and they rate their around-ear very closely to Grado's which they hold in the highest regard.

Quote:

These Bose headphones, on the pricier side, had very good overall sound, and had a neutral character. Bass was well-defined, with good impact and depth. Midrange was smooth, though there was a slight plastic resonance. Treble was extended and detailed. Overall sound was a bit closed-in, though dynamics are good. The headphones, light for their type, were generally comfortable, with light pressure around ears. The vinyl ear pads might have a cramped over-the-ear fit for those with bigger ears, and might feel hot and/or sticky after prolonged use.

Rated a 76. Grado's S80 are at 86.

I think you're answering your own question if you're asking why they aren't in any high end audio mags, the general brand perception is : Not high-end, over priced consumer audio. But they are sometimes.. just not that often.

Quote:

Unfortunately that article is still correct, even though it has been some years since it was written. I can go into a store today and easily confirm much of what is in it.

At least on Head-fi, when something is over-hyped, we can blame fanboyism for the most part (head-gadget-fi). Bose and Monster go out of their way to saturate the market with their over-priced wares and prevent comparison with anything better value or quality that would reveal this.

Like I've said, their HT offerings aren't good. The review is still botched and written by someone that is obviously bitter. But, that's not what I was talking about. You can't rate Bose by one product, they are extremely inconsistent. Listen to the On-Ear, In-Ear and Around-Ear and that will be more than enough to prove that point.

Quote:

You can't with their stereo or 5.1 systems though.

what?

Quote:

Since Bose are readily available in stores to try out, it's easy to reconfirm the "all treble and bass" sound their gear has.

I'm sure if you ask anyone with a deeply embedded hate towards BOSE it's the opposite(Muddy/boomy midbass, extremely rolled off highs), and it's true for some of their stuff but not all.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #70 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkmc2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, JBL. If you think they do not have quality high end offerings, demo the Everest II DD66000, the K2 series or the Array line. Their THX systems sound beyond impressive in theaters. Their Synthesis home theater systems are probably the best sounding in the world.

I own a pair of 1980 vintage 4345s and they never fail to drop visitor's jaws. Top of the line JBL Pro and home speakers have always had an interesting niche. They will damage your hearing before they will reach audible distortion or damage themselves. Try that with any other high end speaker.

Clark

I was kind of ignoring that question. But here's a full list of THX certified speakers, of which most high end manufacturers are a part:

THX Certified Speakers

Even Monster has a THX certified subwoofer (but no full range speakers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back