BOSE why is it not here?
Oct 15, 2009 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

migs008

Head-Fier
I'd like to know why I don't really see a lot of people here have bose equipment or more so on headphones.

Anyone care to explain that to me?

Not really an expert but my dad seems to have a high opinion on them. Which I think he just slaps on everything that has BOSE written on it just because he bought a really high quality speaker system from them like 15yrs ago.

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 70
One way to look at this:

If you watch CSI-Miami, you notice the coloration added for effect. That can be said of the sound quality of Bose.

A lot of people here do not like that.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 70
Simply put, many other headphones (and system systems) can be bought for a lot less, and blow away the BOSE stuff in terms of sound quality.

And Skullcandy stuff is just ugly crap.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 70
If you do a search with Bose in the title of the thread, you'll find many, many (did I say many?) threads on the subject.
wink_face.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzychu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One way to look at this:

If you watch CSI-Miami, you notice the coloration added for effect. That can be said of the sound quality of Bose.

A lot of people here do not like that.

So you're saying that they tend to mend or "modify" the sounds from the original to make it play better on their products?

Ok so does that mean I should avoid their products entirely like for speaker sytems and not just headphones?

Also i'm looking up bose right now.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 70
If I remember correctly, Bose had very good speakers thirty years ago. Their apporach to audio equipements nowaday is different. I suppose the sound system for movie/TV veiwing is still good, when your main goal is not music. But you could be paying a lot.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 70
Just go to any high end audio store and mention Bose, see what happens... Just make sure you're near an exit.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 70
Contemporary Bose equipment has a lot of problems. Any success it has is due to marketing, not value or quality.

It tends to be very expensive for what it is.

From the Bose Wave radio on, software tricks (designed to fool the ear into thinking the speakers are delivering the full range evenly) are employed. The reality is that the speakers have very inaccurate output. Because they are very cheaply made. Notice that Bose never publishes response plots.

In retail outlets, you will notice that Bose displays are always placed where no direct comparison with other systems is possible.

I could go on, but a direct comparison with good equipment would reveal that Bose equipment is not worth even a low price, never mind the premium prices asked for. I dislike Bose because I am tired of my friends paying so much for terrible sounding junk when they could get much better sound for much less.

Clark

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 70
I got my Martin Logan Preface speaker like new for $750 USD a pair shipped paypaled. These will kick any Bose's butt in no time. Bose are way over priced for what they are. Sure top the line ferrari have Bose speaker system in there, but they are special made.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 70
Because Bose is crap.

Bose uses the cheapest materials possible, puts them into a lousy design, then charges a high price and markets it like hell.

Bose gear is slightly better than mainstream hi-fi gear. I mean that in the sense that drinking a pint of milk that's a week past expiration is more palatable than a pint o milk that's a month past expiration.

And no, that's not an exaggeration. Google "Bose sucks" and start reading. The drivers in their big buck speakers cost maybe a dollar or two to produce. They're just cheap junk that's been wildly marketed.

What makes it even worse is that Bose knows that they make crap. Further, they have the capital, engineering, manufacturing, and distributorship to deliver a good product. But Bose prefers to make crap and charge as much a possible for it so they can make the most money.

If you've never listened to real headphones and speakers, make a point of it. Then compare them to Bose. You don't have to have golden ears to hear the difference - typical audiophile gear is a world apart.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 70
Professor Amar Bose would be upset to hear about this thread.

If we're talking about QC2 and QC3's, I actually think their noise-cancelling performance is excellent. So if you want to share/discuss about them, no-one's going to stop you. But the thought of plugging them into some of the amplifiers discussed here and reviewing their audio-characteristics may be of a concern to some.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 70
Some of their products don't sound that bad, but they're overpriced and their build quality leaves much to be desired.

Take for example the Bose around-ear headphones; these look/feel flimsy and cheap. For $30 US less you can get a set of Denon AH-D1001 that look and feel much nicer and have great sound quality.

cheers!

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #14 of 70
I'm one of the few people who actually think Bose sound pretty good.

Then again I don't have several hundred dollar headphones. I do, however have some very nice cheap headphones: Sony V6, Koss Porta Pro, and The JVC flats.

Those are great for their price, and even though Bose is totally overpriced, they compare pretty favorably to all of those, although they are much more colored in sound than all of the headphones I just mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back