BOSE why is it not here?
Oct 15, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #16 of 70
3464488770_622e8e81d3.jpg

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #17 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
migs008: I don't see why you have to tell him, but the best way is to buy a pair of relatively cheap but good headphones, and let him hear for himself.

Mostly I have to tell him because he keeps trying to convince me that if I wanna buy a headphone and amp then I might as well use that money to buy an expensive BOSE headphone instead.

Only a 2 and a half week before my birthday and I'm gonna find myself a nice pair of phones including amp.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #19 of 70
migs008, I doubt you'll be able to change your dad's mind. He's known the company for a long time and seems to be pretty loyal to the brand. It's hard to change someone's mind after so many years. If he likes Bose, then he likes Bose. There's nothing wrong with that.

By the way, I tried playing some music through my dad's Bose speakers and it definitely didn't wow me. I was hoping to hear something decent. At least he bought his equipment used so it wasn't full price. It's been a while since I've watched a movie through the system, but if I remember correctly it was pretty cool for movies and stuff.

By the way, some people actually like the way Bose sounds. I don't particularly like them, but they're not a horrible company in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaffleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm one of the few people who actually think Bose sound pretty good.

Then again I don't have several hundred dollar headphones. I do, however have some very nice cheap headphones: Sony V6, Koss Porta Pro, and The JVC flats.

Those are great for their price, and even though Bose is totally overpriced, they compare pretty favorably to all of those, although they are much more colored in sound than all of the headphones I just mentioned.

I don't think any of those headphones you mentioned can really be compared to Bose headphones. People say Bose are overpriced, but they're not so overpriced to be compared to cheaper entry-level headphones. I personally think they belong in the $150 range give or take (depending on the headphone in question).

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #20 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by swaffleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm one of the few people who actually think Bose sound pretty good.

Then again I don't have several hundred dollar headphones. I do, however have some very nice cheap headphones: Sony V6, Koss Porta Pro, and The JVC flats.

Those are great for their price, and even though Bose is totally overpriced, they compare pretty favorably to all of those, although they are much more colored in sound than all of the headphones I just mentioned.

Well.. some of their headphone offerings don't sound bad. Just the audio snobs here think they should retail for $20 (please) then they'll be "acceptable". Just disregard any foolishness and let your ears do the talking. I'll admit their stuff is like $40 higher than they should be but they've got some good stuff like the QC15.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #21 of 70
I figured out how many headphone manufacturers get away with selling cheap crap, such as Bose and Monster: Most cheap or rubbish headphones are seriously rolled off in the treble and 2-10k region that, if it weren't so, would reveal the shortcomings of the design, as that's where a lot of critical vocals are, and where women especially are most sensitive to harshness. Bass and mid-bass are dialled in to make the headphones sound "fun" on first listen and more likely to score a sale. Correspondingly, most pop music is now very bright in the lower treble to compensate for this.

I imagine that a DAP/iPod or store demo player distort less in this region than a pair of cheap headphones would, so in the store, the treble-laden pop + the bass-laden headphones sounds good at first listen with the demo music (I'm thinking Apple Store here). Play something like some jazz or classical or anything that isn't EQ'ed to sound great to young ears and the headphones sound utterly dead. This was my exact experience in an Apple store with my own iPod and the Beats.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #22 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured out how many headphone manufacturers get away with selling cheap crap, such as Bose and Monster: Most cheap or rubbish headphones are seriously rolled off in the treble and 2-10k region that, if it weren't so, would reveal the shortcomings of the design, as that's where a lot of critical vocals are, and where women especially are most sensitive to harshness. Bass and mid-bass are dialled in to make the headphones sound "fun" on first listen and more likely to score a sale. Correspondingly, most pop music is now very bright in the lower treble to compensate for this.

I imagine that a DAP/iPod or store demo player distort less in this region than a pair of cheap headphones would, so in the store, the treble-laden pop + the bass-laden headphones sounds good at first listen with the demo music (I'm thinking Apple Store here). Play something like some jazz or classical or anything that isn't EQ'ed to sound great to young ears and the headphones sound utterly dead. This was my exact experience in an Apple store with my own iPod and the Beats.

Most pop music is getting compressed more. That's why. The QC15 sounds much better than the Beats and actually cancels noise..

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #23 of 70
My main hobby is 2 channel hi-fi. BOSE is an absolute joke in that market. Although I haven't tried their headphone kit I see no reason why it too wouldn't be more overhyped, overpriced and underperforming junk.
BOSE should stick to PA systems IMO.

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #24 of 70
To summarise BOSE 'sound' : All top and bottom - no middle. This creates an effect that sounds appealing, thumping bass, lots of treble.. but when you sit and listen for a while you notice that something it 'missing'.

But the QC1 noise cancelling headphones are very nice for cancelling noise - but the SQ isn't anywhere near as say my Beyer DT770 - which cost about 1/4 of the BOSE.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #26 of 70
You'll never see BOSE equipment demo'ed alongside other brands, because it doesn't compare.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #27 of 70
White Zinfandel. Sweet and tasty. It's the first wine you drink, and you think you're pretty sophisticated because you're drinking wine. It sells a lot, and it really does taste pretty good. But after a while, as you learn more and your palette gets more educated, it starts tasting like Kool Aide. You become critical of it and prefer something deeper and richer and not so sweet. Some call you a wine snob now, but there's no going back because it just taste syrupy sweet and just not worth drinking. But lots of people drink it, and that's cool. Whatever makes you happy.

This is what I told a wine lover who asked me why I didn't care for Bose. She got it right away then.

You could substitute Chivas for a single malt scotch lover.

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #28 of 70
Its tempting to lay into Bose and anyone who supports them, but I am reminded of the fact that I once thought there was only one name in high-end audio - Bang and Olufsen.
This was purely based on the fact that their showrooms and the people in them are designed to make it clear that plebs like myself have no business in a place like that.

Its only when you start looking at this stuff critically that you realise that its about more than having designer audio to match your designer furniture, and I have neither.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #29 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-fi Wigwammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll never see BOSE equipment demo'ed alongside other brands, because it doesn't compare.

I read somewhere that bose was not allowed to be displayed next to other equipment. That's probably why....and for good reason
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #30 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To summarise BOSE 'sound' : All top and bottom - no middle. This creates an effect that sounds appealing, thumping bass, lots of treble.. but when you sit and listen for a while you notice that something it 'missing'.

But the QC1 noise cancelling headphones are very nice for cancelling noise - but the SQ isn't anywhere near as say my Beyer DT770 - which cost about 1/4 of the BOSE.

Yeah ok.. your opinion is inconsistant with the general thought everyone else has / no highs no lows must be bose. Why compare some ancient headphones anyway? Improvements have been made thus the move to QC2 and QC15.

Quote:

My main hobby is 2 channel hi-fi. BOSE is an absolute joke in that market. Although I haven't tried their headphone kit I see no reason why it too wouldn't be more overhyped, overpriced and underperforming junk.
BOSE should stick to PA systems IMO.

Yeah, that's always a good idea. You know I've listened to some Grado's that I didn't particularly like - so now I hate Grado, all of the stuff they make is garbage.

Quote:

rly. I listened to the sounddock 10 next to other iPod docks and shelf systems. Same goes for their headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read this

If I see one more person quote this ridiculous review again I'm going to scream. Plus If I recall correctly these are meant to be listened to off axis (Direct/Reflecting design) and the freq test is I think done on-axis.

THX? How many high end audio companies care about THX? Logitech??
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back