BOSE why is it not here?
Oct 15, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #31 of 70
The bottom line is Bose products are WAY overpriced, made with the worst parts available. If you like the way their products sound, that's fine. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, including us who don't like them..

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #32 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlgato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
White Zinfandel. Sweet and tasty. It's the first wine you drink, and you think you're pretty sophisticated because you're drinking wine. It sells a lot, and it really does taste pretty good. But after a while, as you learn more and your palette gets more educated, it starts tasting like Kool Aide. You become critical of it and prefer something deeper and richer and not so sweet. Some call you a wine snob now, but there's no going back because it just taste syrupy sweet and just not worth drinking. But lots of people drink it, and that's cool. Whatever makes you happy.

This is what I told a wine lover who asked me why I didn't care for Bose. She got it right away then.

You could substitute Chivas for a single malt scotch lover.

I like to compare Bose to Sam Adams. Sure, they put a lot of flavor into the beer, but all it does is mask the true taste behind the beer. If you take the time to look, there are much better things out there (that taste better AND sound better). You do get all these people who rant on about Sam Adams and how they are so into beer, but have never heard of the microbreweries in their area. Very similar to the people who swear by Bose...

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #33 of 70
Whatever been said, I like my Bose Portable iPod Sound Dock.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by 089709867 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just the audio snobs here . . . .

This is a site dedicated to the pursuit of high fidelity sound through headphones and headphone-related equipment. I hardly think that makes people "snobs." And there is a large portion of the membership here that does not have high end equipment that nevertheless does not like Bose products. Some do, and that's fine too. To each his own.

Quote:

Just disregard any foolishness and let your ears do the talking.

Yes, one should listen to comparable offerings in the same price range and make a judgment. Many who have done this do not believe Bose offers good value for the money in headphones or speakers. There is a minority who disagree with this. Again, to each his own. People should go with what is best for them.

But in terms of the problem noted by the OP, there is no question that there is a segment of the population that has not listened and compared products similar to Bose offerings who think, based solely on marketing and word of mouth from some uninformed sources, that Bose headphones and speakers are the cat's meow. I have a relative who believes this. I think it is a worthwhile endeavor to try to educate and inform such folks, and then let them make their own judgment -- based on what their ears hear from the equipment.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #35 of 70
Because their products are not highly regarded around here...
Simple as that!

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bottom line is Bose products are WAY overpriced, made with the worst parts available. If you like the way their products sound, that's fine. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, including us who don't like them..

So how much should they cost? If you know their true costs to build, distribute and support each piece of equipment. I agree their home theater systems are some of their worst offerings but the Around-Ear, QC15, the 3 piece computer systems and their iPod docks aren't really that bad. Of course you can probably build yourself a 5.1 System for the cost of a Sounddock 10 but that's not really the point of the SD line in general.

Quote:

This is a site dedicated to the pursuit of high fidelity sound through headphones and headphone-related equipment. I hardly think that makes people "snobs." And there is a large portion of the membership here that does not have high end equipment that nevertheless does not like Bose products. Some do, and that's fine too. To each his own.

By snobs I meant people that say "I've never heard their ______ but I know they suck anyway" Which might be true, but how can you past judgment without actually listening to it.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

By snobs I meant people that say "I've never heard their ______ but I know they suck anyway."

That's not being a "snob." That's being full of kaka.
icon10.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #38 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not being a "snob." That's being full of kaka.
icon10.gif

X2

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #39 of 70
Quote:

So how much should they cost? If you know their true costs to build, distribute and support each piece of equipment.

What does the true cost to build/distribute the product have to do with it being over priced? They are over priced compared to other better sounding offerings in the market. I don't care if they use gold wire and carried to your door personally by the CEO of the company, the sound quality they produce doesn't justify the asking price.

I wonder why is this thread in the full-size headphone amps section?

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Excellent question

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #41 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think OP wants to get a decent headphone+amp setup, but his father is very loyal to bose..?

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #42 of 70
I guess but the cheapest Bose amp I can find with a headphone out is $600 cdn which is well quite a lot.

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #43 of 70
After that unprovoked attack on my beloved Grados, I choose not to participate in this thread any further. Dude, where's the humanity ?

(dont worry, my precious, I wont let the bad man hurt you)

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #44 of 70
Quote:

Well.. some of their headphone offerings don't sound bad. Just the audio snobs here think they should retail for $20 (please) then they'll be "acceptable". Just disregard any foolishness and let your ears do the talking. I'll admit their stuff is like $40 higher than they should be but they've got some good stuff like the QC15.

I actually think their best product headphone wise is the cheapest model they have, the Bose around ear Headphones. They have the sharpness of the on ears, but the bass is much less overpowering, which allows the middle range to speak much more. Not only that but they are very comfortable. And also, I honestly don't know what some people talk about with there being no mid range sound. I find that the Bose around ears have plenty of it.

The sound can, with some lesser quality recordings, have a tinny and dulled quality (the sound coloration going into effect to mask the cruddy sound of the source audio probably), but on the decent recordings they actually sound pretty darn good.

I don't know what the hell some of you are talking about comparing these phones to extremely cheaply made products. I've even used my Bose to run in quite extensively, and they hold up brilliantly, plus they sound is much better than something you'd find for $20. I'd price these alongside the Sony V6s-about $70.

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #45 of 70
Say something enough times and it becomes the truth.

I have some Bose headphones and I have no real issues with them. I think the quality of build is good and the sound is OK. A bit warm, but pleasant. Quite a punch in the bass regions actually.

OK, they're not the best but maybe a little more fairness towards them wouldn't go amiss on Headfi. After all, Grados, Beyers, Sennheiser all have their little issues and we overlook them and focus on positives, but not the case with Bose bashing. We focus on everything negative which isn't quite right to me,

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back