Bose TriPorts
Mar 28, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #61 of 192
You're a rare one perhaps.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm going back to work... Curious to see the state of the thread tomorrow.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #62 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The vocals I'm talking about are vocals that aren't overly processed (with delay, reverb, chorus, etc). Vocals where you can still hear the air moving the vocal chords. In this case it was Bruce Springsteen singing folk songs, other times it might be R.E.M., or anything else that isn't over processed.

I went back and listened to the same two tracks with my SR60 and they give me the raspyness in Bruce's voice. Not to the same degree as my D2000 and HD600, but they get the job done and let me hear what is there. The Triports blur those details over and make the voice less raspy and airy. I was thoroughly enjoying those two tracks with the SR60. I wasn't enjoying them with the Triports.

What the Triports did do is put the vocals front and center, something my Denon D2000 don't do so well.

I don't know Springsteen, sorry (not kidding you)

tried Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt
his voice sounds almost exactly like it should (I can tell we're not in the same league as the electrostats or GSKs, sure, but its still Johnny Cash, and he's still licking his lips and clearing his airways as he sings)

they are a bit more "melodic" than "analytical", which reminds me of the HD 595 or D2000 a bit (the "they're built for music not mastering" perspective), and I'm not doubting that is an issue for some listeners

going back over this track with the ESP/10's, I go from "listening to a good recording of Johnny Cash" to "listening to Johnny Cash", so I think I understand what you're saying about their vocal presentation

cheers
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, let's see how many rage posts and whines will be here tomorrow-wait today morning.

really don't want to know.
redface.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #63 of 192
While I don't mind the sound and clarity of my Bose AEs, just ordered some MS-1s though, so I hope there is enough in the MS-1s to distance themselves from the Bose AEs or I'll be kicking myself!

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #64 of 192
Quote:

For example Sennheiser is a great company, but their mid-range phones (50~150$ range) are completely underwhelming.

In the IEM world, low-end Shures are well known to be bad for the cash.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #65 of 192
Quote:

I dunno. Koss PortaPros are quite popular and actually a lot of people know them. But very few hate them and Koss here.

Look up the Koss SparkPlugs. Not a lot of love for them here tbh.
Overall, I do find Head-fi to be quite objective = good.

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #66 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayeshrc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
grow up.

Seconded. I'm all for civilized discussion but ignoring an entire post based on one comment that you interpret in whichever way that makes it MOST offensive and then dismissing the comment is not keeping the discussion civilized. This whole discussion would be a lot nicer if everyone would just stop being so confrontational, it's not helpful.

Back on topic:

I've heard the Triports, and what I found was that they just didn't sound right to me. I'm no expert, so I couldn't exactly put my finger on the issue but things like drums, for example, just didn't sound right. Compared to my friend's D1001s, the sound just wasn't natural. This is all IMO, of course, it's possible that the Triports sound right to other people's ears.

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #67 of 192
Pretty surprised about your SR60/TriPort comparison. I found the Bose to be more colored than the SR60 just in a different way. More comfortable, less detail. I didn't try them amped.

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #68 of 192
NO additional flame post, amazing.

By the way I put wrong address and it seems I will get my monster turbine next Monday...

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #69 of 192
Quote:

NO additional flame post, amazing.

i know, thats amazing, cheers to head-fi on that one
beerchug.gif

Quote:

By the way I put wrong address and it seems I will get my monster turbine next Monday...

at least you're getting them
ph34r.gif
biggrin.gif

wrong address sometimes costs you the part and the cash
frown.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #72 of 192
To be honest, I really don't mind the sound of the Bose AEs I have. I compared them to some cheap Sennheiser HD202s in a thread last night, mostly because they're the only two headphones I have and I felt like doing a bit of writing
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #73 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one's started any appreciation thread yet?

We do have 'appreciation' thread for triport. But not appreciation thread you may want.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #74 of 192
I think the OP was spot-on when he said everything is thrown at the listener. With the AE, everything sounds bigger than life and powerful. But it just dosent sound realistic.

Ive done a review on the Bose AE myself and compared them to my MS-1 (see my signature below). To my ears, the AE are very emotional, lively, and engaging to listen to. They are purposely colored and artificial sounding in a way that is pleasing to the ears, but are still detailed and balanced sounding in an emphasized way. They are very fun to listen to and rock out on. However, the MS-1 blows it away in realism and proper voicing/tone. Its all a matter of taste. Most average, everyday folks like the sound of Bose better because of the powerful and full sounding presentation it gives. The MS-1 only sounds powerful if the recording asks for it. Therefore, the MS-1 are more lifelike.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #75 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive done a review on the Bose AE myself and compared them to my MS-1 (see my signature below). To my ears, the AE are very emotional, lively, and engaging to listen to. They are purposely colored and artificial sounding in a way that is pleasing to the ears, but are still detailed and balanced sounding in an emphasized way. They are very fun to listen to and rock out on. However, the MS-1 blows it away in realism and proper voicing/tone. Its all a matter of taste. Most average, everyday folks like the sound of Bose better because of the powerful sounding presentation it gives. The MS-1 only sounds powerful if the recording asks for it. Therefore, the MS-1 are more lifelike.

I would agree 100%
the Bose are just fun to listen to, they aren't "accurate" or "proper" like my ESP/10's or Grado's, but they're still very "good" to listen to (just different)

btw, some updates on gaming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back