Bose TriPorts
Mar 28, 2009 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 192

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, so now that you've clicked into this thread, you're probably expecting yet another page long rant about Bose products, like how they've killed my dog, or something vile like that. Well, I'll cut right to the chase here: that isn't what I'm writing; I went ahead and got my hands on a pair of these, and would like to share my listening experience. To quote a fellow Head-Fi'er: “all voices should be humbly sounded and humbly heard”, and that's exactly what I'd like to do here.

So, up today is a pair of Bose TriPort “around-ear” headphones, from the offset, these little guys have one hell of a mountain to climb, just to be “acceptable”, given their awful reputation (and the general reputation associated with Bose as a brand) around these parts. Because I don't believe a subjective opinion can be rendered on a pair of speakers or headphones without giving a reference point (in other words: if I say something is “bassy”, someone should stand up and ask “bassy relative to what?”), or basically comparing them to something. In this case, I've got two pairs of headphones to compare alongside the TriPort's: AKG K701's and Koss ESP/10's, the first being a relatively popular dynamic can, the later being a somewhat obscure, and very vintage, pair of electrostats. Furthermore, I'll add commentary of how I feel some similarly priced components perform (namely Grado SR-60's and Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's, I no longer own either, but have spent more than enough time with both), mostly for “fairness”, mostly because, for most people looking to spend around $100 on a pair of headphones, K701's and ESP/10's are a bit out of reach, while SR-60's and HD 280Pro's are fairly popular options at that price range, furthermore, it helps assess Bose's following claim:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bose
We take great pride in designing each of our products with the goal of providing the highest accuracy musical performance possible in the price range of that product. We strive to reproduce the musical sounds as closely as possible to those of the original performance. And we strive to avoid flashy sounds such as those associated with the accentuated bass and/or treble frequencies.

When you purchase any product from Bose, we encourage you to compare it, as we do, to competitive products for musical accuracy. We believe that this process will enhance your appreciation of the product you select.

So, enough with the pre-qualifying fluffy stuff, lets actually get down to it, and talk some shop.

First up, I'd like to talk about the first thing I noticed upon taking these out of the box, and putting them on my head: soundstage and presentation. When I first took them out of the box, and held them in my hands, I wanted to know “what's the inside of the cups look like?”, as I'd never seen a picture, so I took a peek, the driver assembly is angled within the cup (somewhat like that of Audio-Technica, and almost exactly like the angle Grado's will take when on your ears). So, I slid them on, and hit play, and what do you know, the soundstage is excellent for a closed can, they present a very real and convincing 3D space, and while they aren't quite as spacious as the K701's, there is more than enough “room” for music. The intro to Rammstein's Rammstein has a panning effect, which flows around your head effortlessly, the crickets from The Beatles' Sun King sit just out of reach, and instruments take their positions quite accurately.

Speaking of accuracy, the TriPort's are “pretty good”, they aren't electrostats by any means, but I can still hear the registers being pulled, the air bladders opening and closing, and the pedals being pressed on Piet Kee's Organ Works Vol. 1, something most speakers have trouble reproducing entirely (and something the ESP/10's will hand over without batting an eye). Instruments sound “proper”, guitars are guitars, drums are drums, cymbals stand out, kick drums have a deep “thud” (as they damn well should), everything is handed to the listener.

Tonal balance is probably the last thing I'll touch on, and I'll say: they're pretty balanced. They are a bassy headphone, there is no question about that, but they aren't overpowering or boomy,the bass is instead “bubbly”, not “tight” like the K701's, or “lean” like the ESP/10's, it is presented with good attack and decay, no “harsh edge”, plenty of punch, and very good extension into the nether regions.
The characteristic I love here, is that the midrange and top-end don't suffer as a result of solid low-end, they're presented right in-line, and if the bass isn't meant to be overpowering (for example, chamber music), it isn't, it takes a seat, and lets the music flow. The midrange wrt clarity isn't quite as “crisp” as the K701's, I'd compare it about like so: garden fresh lettuce vs very fresh lettuce at an organic supermarket, both are "good", one is just a bit "better" experience

Ultimately, these aren't “better” than the K701's or ESP/10's overall, but they very easily deserve a spot at the table. Very good, and I would recommend them to others as a result.

A quickie with the SR-60 and HD 280Pro:

TriPort vs HD280Pro – TriPort wins hands down, the HD280's lack musicality, emotion, and outright “life”, everything is cold, good recordings sound “ok”, and anything less sounds horrible, the TriPort's have a more enjoyable upper-mid presentation, sweeter vocals, and less billowy low-end.

TriPort vs SR-60 – This is a bit tougher to call, the SR-60's are fully open, while the TriPort's are closed (we'll get to that later), as a result, I do feel the SR-60's win out for instrument separation, and easily for “directness” (c'mon, you really thought Grado was going to lose that one?), although the Bose provide better soundstaging, out-of-the-box comfort, and midbass/low-end presentation and extension. Having heard better Grado parts as well, I would probably extend this assessment as high as the SR-225, at which point things get a bit more complicated.

Now for the non-SQ stuff that still matters:

Comfort – I actually don't find these “the most comfortable headphones ever”, but I do find them pleasant to wear, they go right around your ears (and not an inch larger), and weigh next to nothing, you're aware of them, but not in a bad way. Personally I find the K701 wins out in comfort (but I do realize many users have issues with the headband, and I can say, the Bose headband will not give you that trouble, its smoothed all the way around), and the ESP/10's are less comfortable than the TriPort's (I've fought this war with the ESP/10's for about 6 months now, I've finally got them comfortable enough for ~6 hours of wear time, but anything more is a stretch, while I could easily wear either the K701's or the TriPort's for a full day and have no objection).

Isolation – Hands down, these win out over the K701 and ESP/10 (oh wow, a closed phone more isolated than two open phones!), they also isolate better than the Denon closed hp's, but not quite up to the HD 280 Pro (probably the only thing the 280 has over them).

Build Quality – Honestly I've only had these for about a day so far, so I can't give you any long term opinion, I've read of many users reporting broken plastic components, and I will tell you, they do feel somewhat fragile in the hands, although I have learned that with plastics “feel fragile” and “are fragile” don't always go together, but that doesn't mean they're tanks. I'm generally very gentle with my equipment, so I wouldn't be surprised if these never had an issue with breaking/falling apart, although at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if long term usage “catches up”, and the plastic gets fragile (much like older Sennheiser headphones developing small fractures in the plastic, difference being, the plastic on these isn't exceptionally wide or thick, so a small fracture could easily become a big problem).

Justice to Recordings – This is partly SQ related, and partly not, basically the question of: what do they do when you switch from a good quality recording such as a CD or LP, to something horrible, like overly encoded digital music? Well, I'll tell you they do “alright” with it (I consider it a strong suite to be capable of playing back bad sources and not sounding like mud), you can still hear compression artifacts and still have that “this really needs to be re-ripped or re-encoded” thought going through your head, but they're far more forgiving than the K701's or ESP/10's (sort of like Darth Vader is more forgiving than the Emperor, neither will really tolerate failure, but with one of them, you at least have a chance).

And now for the big'ol list of equipment and music used to test these:

Equipment:
amps – Yamaha RX-770 receiver and CI Audio VHP-1 amp (with VAC-1 PSU and TC-1200 AVR), the CI did tighten the bass up a little bit, but not enough to make me stop using my receiver (its more convenient for me, and since I've yet to use a pair of headphones that are night and day with the CI, I'm more than happy to keep doing so)

sources – JVC XL-Z444 CD player (using analog output), Technics SH-AC500D D/A fed from Auzen X-Fi Prelude (with everything from piss-poor 128k mp3 rips to lossless WMA and flac)

for a list of all of the headphones I've used/heard/etc over time, check my profile (its long), while I did use those experiences to help draw conclusions overall (I.e: I know what “good” sounds like to me), I tried to avoid flooding this with “oh and compared to GSKs its like this, and compared to SR-325i's its like this, and compared to Denon's its like this” and so on.

Music:

Piet Kee Plays Bach on the Muller Organ of St. Bavo Haarlem
The King's Singers/Tragicomedia – La Dolce Vita: Music in Reniassance Naples
Malcolm McLaren – Paris
Lost & Found – This
Cheap Trick – Greatest Hits
Mark Schultz – Mark Schultz
3Oh!3 – 3Oh!3
The Black Eyed Peas – Elephunk
OutKast – ATLiens
VA – African Swim
Stevie Nicks – Bella Donna
AC/DC – Back In Black
Rammstein – Rosenrot
Rammstein – Herzeleid
The Beatles – Abbey Road
edIT – Certified Air Raid Material
Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP
Madonna – Confessions On A Dance Floor
Nas – Hip Hop Is Dead
Jesper Kyd and the Budapest Symphony Orchestra feat Hungarian Radio Choir – Hitman: Blood Money Original Soundtrack

Hope you enjoyed some or part of this review/writing/whatever, and please no silly flaming
beerchug.gif

-bob

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 192
Gaming so far with the TriPorts has been great, they're very light and comfortable, block out a lot of ambient/external noise, and are more than accurate enough for videogames.

Positional audio is excellent, the K701's are still a bit better at soundstaging, obviously, but for a closed can these are positively amazing imho (better than HD280, better than D2000, etc), I tried with and without Creative's CMSS-3D Headphone, they respond well either way, CMSS just makes them "better still" (it has a crossfade-like processing feature, which helps out quite a bit with positional audio)

Overall, these are great cans for gaming

As far as movies, I've only tested one movie (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom), nothing "stellar", but not "worse" than other headphones I've tried overall, the extra bass helps out with explosions and gunshots, positional accuracy is good (K701's still better), vocal clarity is a bit lacking (but I find this to be true of the K701's and ESP/10's with movies as well), but still very watchable (speakers are better, basically is my point).

Overall, I'm thinking "above average" for movies, but not "great" (they're better than Grado for movies, but better does exist)

***Gaming Update***

Ok, well, 16 hours of non-stop gameplay and I didn't even touch them once to fidget with the fit, these are seeming like my new #1 gaming headphones, yes the K701 is a bit "better" with its larger soundstage, but its also more fatiguing to wear (its heavier, less isolated, and the headband is "felt" after a while (not discomfortable, but you know its there))

***Rating Addition***

So I'm guessing for simplification, we'll do some "ratings":

Pure music listening, for SQ/dynamics/whatever:
In First Place, with no room for debate or question:
Koss Auditor ESP/10 Electrostatic Stereophones (10/10)

In Second Place, defending its title quite fiercly:
AKG K701 Reference (~9.3/10)

In Third Place, by a bit of a margin, although still holding on:
Bose TriPort AE's (~7.1/10)

Gaming/movies, for SQ/dynamics/whatever:
In First Place:
AKG K701 (9.8/10)

In Second Place:
Koss ESP/10 (9.3/10)

In Third Place:
Bose TriPort (8.8/10)

Gaming/movies, casually/for fun/extended wear/whatever:
In First Place:
Bose TriPort (9.0/10)

In Second Place:
AKG K701 (8.5/10)

In Third Place:
Koss ESP/10 (7/10 (no, these are not "all day" headphones))

ultimately the K701's are "better" imho, and the ESP/10's are "much better" (excepting comfort, but given that I don't usually listen to music for 10-12 hours continuously, I'm not knicking any of them on comfort, just giving an opinion on it), but consider the SRP for these two

the K701's are ~$500 SRP, and ~$250 retail
the ESP/10's are ~$1400 SRP (inflation adjusted), and $???? retail (hard to find + used + usually requires some degree of restoration based on age)
the TriPort's are $150 with shipping and tax

in other words, there is nothing on earth that says these should've even "survived", let alone held their ground and prove themselves champs for casual listening (and thats what they really do excel at, casual usage)

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 192
Nice review, kinda reminds me on jude's review of the beats; It's a good review and makes a point, but will unfortunately be covered in flames in the end.

What's the price on these again?

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review, kinda reminds me on jude's review of the beats; It's a good review and makes a point, but will unfortunately be covered in flames in the end.

I can only lead the horse to water, not force it to drink
redface.gif

Quote:

What's the price on these again?

in the US they're listed on Bose's website at $139.95, with tax and shipping expect $150-$160 (and you will pay tax in all 50 states afaik), I don't suggest buying them from another source, mostly because their warranty has some murky language when dealing with returns/RMA's for products not purchased directly from Bose (either online or in-store), which is a real shame, because Amazon sometimes has them $10 off, and free shipping + no tax (so you'd save roughly $20-$30 (depending on what tax would be for your area)

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 192
So they're actually not that bad in the price range then. Well, gonna have some firestarters for sure because of that. 22 views and just me and you replying, that can't be good.

Personally I find it nice that there is another good headphone on the market. However I already have a pair in the 130$ range and the next thing I get will have to be a good bit above that. Speaking of which, I'ma go make a amp thread. Enjoy the fire.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 192
Hmm. The difficulty of the decision between SR60 and Bose OE is a little worrying, given that the former are ~$70 and the latter are ~$140 cans.

Also, I'm interested in how forgiving the Bose OEs seem to be. To my mind, forgivingness (with respect to bad recordings/files) implies lack of detail. And yet you don't complain of this. Would you like to comment about how detailed you perceive the Bose to be? Do you hear everything that you hear with the other headphones?

Next up, someone has to compare Bose OE with Denon D1001. I'll do one if I get to buy a cheap Bose. From memory of my admittedly brief impression of Bose OE, they sounded much like the Denons (i.e., bassy) but boomier and with less detail. Now, I'm interested in giving the Bose another shot, this time not in a store.

@KONAKONA: I dunno. ARE they good for their price range? SR60 ain't in it. HD280 approaches, but they're controversial cans. Lots of people hate them anyway. We need comparisons with...D1001, Q40, MS-1, AD700, etc. And even these are mostly cheaper than the Bose.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I'm interested in how forgiving the Bose OEs seem to be. To my mind, forgivingness (with respect to bad recordings/files) implies lack of detail. And yet you don't complain of this. Would you like to comment about how detailed you perceive the Bose to be? Do you hear everything that you hear with the other headphones?

I understand the view on forgiveness, honestly in terms of "detail resolution", they're right under the K701 or ESP/10, I can hear background/studio noises, vocalists breathing, (registers on the organ, slips on guitar strings, etc)

they're just "not quite as much" in that direction (consider that we're talking about the K701 here, one of the most analytical hp's ever made)

this makes them somewhat more forgiving with poor recordings, I didn't say they were "very forgiving", just "somewhat more forgiving", a terrible recording is still noticed as such, but "less so" than with the K701's or stats

hope that answers your question

as far as the D1000/1001 comparison, I really wish I could give you an impression, I just don't remember the D1000 well enough to feel comfortable comparing the two

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. ARE they good for their price range? SR60 ain't in it. HD280 approaches, but they're controversial cans. Lots of people hate them anyway. We need comparisons with...D1001, Q40, MS-1, AD700, etc. And even these are mostly cheaper than the Bose.

that is a very good point, of those, I've only heard the D1001 and Q40, and hardly remember either (neither really stood out to me), I know the MS-1's are quite comparable to the SR-80's or SR-125's, and imho these beat out everything in the Grado line through the SR-225, in terms of soundstaging, presentation, and balance while the Grado's win out in separation and directness (having one be better at soundstaging, and the other be better at separation is a very weird place to be, because both are equally important, and usually go "hand in hand", the Bose have very good separation, the Grado's just have "a bit better")

honestly, if anyone has further questions on comparisons to anything in my profile, feel free to PM me (excepting D1001 and Q40 related questions), and I'd be happy to discuss it further with you

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 192
interesting read indeed.
have always been of the opinion that bose were merely overpriced, nothing more. not like grados are not overpriced for what they are.. right?

bose tends to be gimmicky.. applied with liberal doses and runs with it. hey. it works. not like boston acoustics and klipsch dont add to the flavor.

i have listened to the triports for brief periods, and yes, i do remember them as bassy.
but now that its mentioned that it sounds like the denons.. hmm.. trying to jog the old memory here... i cant remember for the life of me.

would love to know how these compare with denons 1001 and d2000.

its never a bad thing having more options/selection.

good on the OP for the review. give credit where credit is due, in deserving amounts of course.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #10 of 192
Thanks for the review and thanks for taking Bose phones seriously for once. They get far too much bad press on this site and people discount them for simply being "bose", which I think is a mistake. I personally am not a fan, but they don't sound bad as many here would lead you to believe.

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in the US they're listed on Bose's website at $139.95, with tax and shipping expect $150-$160 (and you will pay tax in all 50 states afaik),

Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, Oregon
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 192
I would expect the triports to be comparable to the D1001's.. They might even be a little better.
But... my D1001's were $63.. not $150..
and I know for a fact that Bose headphones are rather fragile...
But they are also very very comfy. They could be better than the D1001 in comfort as well.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #15 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But... my D1001's were $63.. not $150..

thats the rub for many people, Bose doesn't let their stuff dip below SRP to reflect market forces, and that is a downside, because at $60 vs $160, "who cares if they're better, they're $100 more!"
confused_face.gif

but, I'd rather see pricing be a knock against them, than sound quality/popular opinion (just like STAX, they're overpriced as hell brand new, they're still amazing (no I am not putting Bose on the same level as STAX wrt SQ, mostly because I haven't compared the two myself, so I don't know))

to everyone who's responded so far (at least up before me posting this for sure), thank you for being mature, diplomatic, and so on, instead of just jumping in and posting inflammatory comments
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back