BOSE Headphone Mods
Jul 22, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #16 of 35

Quote:
And in addition, if a Triport owner finds this site, it would mean they're most likely looking for alternatives no? The idea isn't to force modding down owners' throats right? We might as well let them make use with what they already have. Trashing headphones that cost so much (in a relative sense, to them) isn't really economical.

There must be thousands of broken triports out there, fresh casualties of lightweight build.  Cost isn't a factor here. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #17 of 35

Quote:

There must be thousands of broken triports out there, fresh casualties of lightweight build.  Cost isn't a factor here. 

I meant that in response to the people that said not to bother trying.

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #20 of 35

Quote:
I meant that in response to the people that said not to bother trying.

Yeah, I just realized that.  Still, you unintentionally brought up an interesting point:  only those who discover this site would be able to carry out the mod, the same ones who wouldn't be that bad off anyway once they do their reading here.  We have to hope that these mods penetrate the non-head-fi crowd and show them that their headphones aren't the perfect jewels they were sold as. 

Jun 11, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #21 of 35

I have the OE1s. The best mods for this headphone are to cover the two ports on the bottom with thick tape and upgrade the detachable cable. It takes about 2 minutes and is so easy a 1 year old could do it. With the mods on the OEs they easily outperform all the regular Beats/Sol/etc. and even the Senn Momentum ON Ears to my ears and preferences. But they still lack the the very micro detailed highs/performance of the DT1350. Just sayin'. They aren't as bright as I like but do approach the better mid-hi tier of Sennheisers in sound. Going between reduced bass and eq off setting on the ipod..I am very reminded of the HD580/600/650 sound...not quite there obviously as they are 1/5 the size but the similarities are uncanny- no joke. I for one am completely suprised at these little headphones after getting the bass reduced to an acceptable level. They have a huge soundstage for an itty bitty closed can. I dismissed them at first because..well.. they are Bose afterall. But these are actually really good portables after the simple adjustments and the most comfortable things I have ever put on my head. I think I am gonna take the pads apart when they wear out and reuse the black plate to retrofit some round velour cushions with bigger openings. But as they are now, they are more than acceptable. But left stock, they were unlistenable with the bloated bass that bled into the other bands and made a muddy presentation. You must plug the ports...even permanantly.... to hear what these are really capable of. The clarity jumps tenfold in the midrange and all the muddiness is gone. I'm not making this up.. it is night and day for these headphones. I've been using my OE1s in this configuration for 3 weeks straight. Working very well for me other than I find them slightly dark in the exact same way I found the HD650 dark.. Pic is from the web..obviously someone else tried this too. My tape is cut perfectly to size and isn't noticeable. :^). Other thing is these highly benefit from amping. Alot

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #23 of 35
  You, sir, managed to revive a thread 5 years old...

...and I might have been the only poster who was actually on topic. :^)

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #24 of 35
  I have the OE1s. The best mods for this headphone are to cover the two ports on the bottom with thick tape and upgrade the detachable cable. It takes about 2 minutes and is so easy a 1 year old could do it. With the mods on the OEs they easily outperform all the regular Beats/Sol/etc. and even the Senn Momentum ON Ears to my ears and preferences. But they still lack the the very micro detailed highs/performance of the DT1350. Just sayin'. They aren't as bright as I like but do approach the better mid-hi tier of Sennheisers in sound. Going between reduced bass and eq off setting on the ipod..I am very reminded of the HD580/600/650 sound...not quite there obviously as they are 1/5 the size but the similarities are uncanny- no joke. I for one am completely suprised at these little headphones after getting the bass reduced to an acceptable level. They have a huge soundstage for an itty bitty closed can. I dismissed them at first because..well.. they are Bose afterall. But these are actually really good portables after the simple adjustments and the most comfortable things I have ever put on my head. I think I am gonna take the pads apart when they wear out and reuse the black plate to retrofit some round velour cushions with bigger openings. But as they are now, they are more than acceptable. But left stock, they were unlistenable with the bloated bass that bled into the other bands and made a muddy presentation. You must plug the ports...even permanantly.... to hear what these are really capable of. The clarity jumps tenfold in the midrange and all the muddiness is gone. I'm not making this up.. it is night and day for these headphones. I've been using my OE1s in this configuration for 3 weeks straight. Working very well for me other than I find them slightly dark in the exact same way I found the HD650 dark.. Pic is from the web..obviously someone else tried this too. My tape is cut perfectly to size and isn't noticeable. :^). Other thing is these highly benefit from amping. Alot

I was full of doubt, but reached for the tape dispenser and covered the holes. Incredible. It works! I also agree with your observations on the modded OE1. It's distinctly Sennheiser-like. You saved me a hundred bucks: thank you!

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #25 of 35
Okay don't judge but I am a basshead freak on a small budget. OK I have a pair of Skullcandy crushers. you know the headphones that crush the bass but sacrifice quality sound. Well I have blown one of the drivers and I've Been thinking, what if you put a high quality driver in it. So here Iam trying to see if I wasn't the only person with this idea.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #26 of 35
Well I opened the cans up and it looks like the cheapest damn driver I have ever seen ... put anything in here will definitely make the headphones sound better now I am looking for some desent pair of 40mm drivers to put back in here

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #27 of 35
Well I opened the cans up and it looks like the cheapest damn driver I have ever seen ... put anything in here will definitely make the headphones sound better now I am looking for some desent pair of 40mm drivers to put back in here

Try some KSC75 or, since you're a basshead, look at pulling the drivers from a pair of Koss Sportapro...

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #29 of 35
The koss sportapro lookes like a viable option I was also thinking about ordering some beat studio driver replacements to do the job they range around 25-30$

....go for the Sportapro drivers. They'll have better detail and cleaner bass presentation (but still a good amount of it).

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #30 of 35
It would be fun to get this old thread going again. I mean, the modding community has grown and Bose has honestly improved their headphones. I ordered a pair of AE2 and they're coming on Tuesday. Since I really love engineering, tinkering, and modding, I would love to see what it takes to make them better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back