Bose, are you just paying for the name
Jul 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

abeeb

New Head-Fier
Im considering getting some bose headphones but was wondering if, like the dre headphones, you are mainly paying for the name rather that the quality,
which models would be suitable for me,
I listen to drum & bass as well as rock
Id like them to be reasonably comfortable
Id like to have an over ear fit
And finally i like to have a good amount of bass
Also, they would mainly be driven by my ipod rather than an amp

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 65
Nope, you also pay for marketing.

What's your budget?

Just a suggestion but you may want to change the title to "recommend me" or something of that nature. Otherwise this will just turn into another Bose/beats hate thread.

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 65
with bose, you get marketing (if you want to call that a "name" that is recognized).  most here will agree that there isn't that much value there.  though you could say that there is some resale value attached to that "name" when you decide that they're not for you.

you also get a level of sound quality that is better than, for example, the earbuds that are packaged with your iWhatever.

and, you get comfort in many of their products.

some might say you get looks, but that's fairly subjective.

if i had to summarize the threads about bose, i would say that you can get better headphones (in terms of sound quality) for the same money.

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 65

Quote:
Im considering getting some bose headphones but was wondering if, like the dre headphones, you are mainly paying for the name rather than the quality

First you have to decide which is worse....the name or the actual 'product'. After the nausea has passed, you likely consider another brand of headphone, such as the SRH840 or ATH-M50.

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 65
I was at a wedding a couple days ago and the DJ had a BOSE speaker system.  It was in the top 3 worst audio setups I have heard at a wedding, which is not exactly your state of the art audio event.  I thought my ears were going to bleed, the treble was so etched and piercing.  Maybe he was using them wrong, or EQing them a lot who knows, but wow

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 65
Bose is basically a love or hate thing for people. Bose have their own unique/colored sound that is innacurate sounding, but pleasing nonetheless (to my ears atleast). 

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 65
popcorn.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 65
Haters gunna hate 

Bosers gunna bose

Trollers gunna troll

/hatethread

*restart legitimate thread*

The only bose headphones im aware of, within that price range and which meet that criteria are the bose around the ear triports. Ive heard them and they sound better than the buds u get with an ipod. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 65
There aren't any good Bose products. The only people who like Bose are those who have never heard anything else. Once you listen to good headphones, you won't want Bose.

I've listened to all of the Bose products and I've also heard pretty much all of the headphones mentioned here. Bose is awful and doesn't make a single pair that sounds good. The sad part is that Bose is a large company with manufacturing ability and solid distribution. Bose is capable of making good products, but deliberately chooses not to. Instead, Bose makes cheap garbage and sells it as a premium product.

Forget Bose. Tell us your budget, what kind of music you listen to and what equipment you're going to use. You'll get plenty of good recommendations here. Don't worry if you haven't heard of most of the brands mentioned here - almost all of them are good and well known here.

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #14 of 65
x2 to what Uncle Erik said. I'll be fair to bose and say that their products aren't that terrible, but nonetheless they're charging $300 for a headphone that sounds like a $50 one. So yeah, they overcharge you big time.

Tell us what type of music you listen to, and if you can, your preferred sound signature, and you'll get plenty of recommendations.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #15 of 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Back